British town grows all of its own vegetables FREE, witnesses improved civic life and reduced crime a

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by RogerT
PS. Are there any local media articles about this, I'd like a copy for the archives?

There will be loads if you search hard enough. I first heard of this around a year ago, so try the Telegraph and Argus or similar from around then. It was also on morning TV (Daybreak or BBC one) at the same sort of time.

I genuinely think it is a brilliant thing but i also genuinely believe there are a lot of idiots who would trash things for the sake of it.

Anyone from nearby knows Todmorden is not like most places - it attracts a certain sort of person. I can imagine the outcome if that was tried in Keighley!

It's only because it's different.
Look at any town or city and you have plenty of hedges and greenery, I don't see kids tearing that up for a giggle. Once it becomes commonplace attention dwindles and those who would feel inclined to be tw@s don't even see it.

We have a hell of a lot of green space where I am, and I would love to see it actually being used by the community for something other than walking their dogs.

"Take one example. ‘The police have told us that, year on year, there has been a reduction in vandalism since we started,’ she says. ‘We weren’t expecting this.’

So why has it happened?

Pam says: ‘If you take a grass verge that was used as a litter bin and a dog toilet and turn it into a place full of herbs and fruit trees, people won’t vandalise it. I think we are hard-wired not to damage food.’

Pam reckons a project like Incredible Edible could thrive in all sorts of places. ‘If the population is very transient, it’s difficult. But if you’ve got schools, shops, back gardens and verges, you can do it.’

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by domasio

The crime rate part is in the link in OP to the Daily Fail (Mail as you are a 'newbie!
)

Rainbows
Jane

So sorry Jane, I looked at the OP but somehow didn't scroll down to see the links!!
Thanks.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by domasio

The crime rate part is in the link in OP to the Daily Fail (Mail as you are a 'newbie!
)

Rainbows
Jane

So sorry Jane, I looked at the OP but somehow didn't scroll down to see the links!!
Thanks.

Erm...wasn't at you!

Bur may be if you weren't so "pissed off" (as per 'mood') you wouldn't have missed it!

tis OK, we all make mistakes

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm only 8 miles from Todmorden. Anyone in the area? I need a driver, I'm going on a free shopping mission

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I like how the DM call it an "eccentric" town. There's nothing eccentric about it. Trying to make people seem like quacks or something

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by angelchemuel

Whilst i applaud the residents of Todmorden, i am not sure how this same scheme would fare in other places around our fair Isles. Have you ever been there? It is a very new age, hippy type of place (nothing wrong with that) and as such, people there tend to be more open to this sort of thing and also to not abuse the system. I suspect if you tried this in Burnley, Rochdale or Halifax it would be abused left, right and centre.

Well done to them though.

Todmorden is new age and hippy? Can't say I've noticed anything of the sort! I agree it wouldn't work it Burnley, but only because Burnley is a sh/t hole.

I could see it working in smaller towns like Colne, to the otherside of Burnley.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop
I'm only 8 miles from Todmorden. Anyone in the area? I need a driver, I'm going on a free shopping mission

I can give you a lift! Never been, but have been told Hebden Bridge would "suit you missus"!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
here in mansfield everyone grows there own, ahem 'herbs'...

good on 'em though hope it catches on elsewhere

stu

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thank you for this, its a beautiful story and not so ironically, I am working on something similar in Canada. This just confirms what I thought about people, do this and they will not abuse it, imagine food being grown everywhere by everyone....lil piece of heaven returning...

Walking down the street talking with friends and you get a feeling of hunger... all you have to do is basically reach your arm out and you have a fresh food right there...HMMMM SO NICE TO PICTURE THIS...its coming...notice how easy it it getting to believe this can happen....its not that hard at all if we all pitch in just a bit...
edit on 15-12-2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I live not to far from Tod, I have been a couple of times for a night out and I will stand up in court and say the people of Tod are funny buggers
Its like the hills have eyes or something

I remember Todmorden is Death Murder in german I think.
But good on em, but I wouldnt eat their food.
edit on 15-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I can see that you are getting at something, i just cant see what!. no , still cant get it. Isnt this how things "in the good ole days" used tobe done?damn, no progress here, close it down!.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I'm sure this is some kind of crime in America.

In fact, one of the Gov's warning signs of being a terrorist is having 7+ days of food saved up.

HERE COME THE GREEN POLICE.

But yes, this is the way to live people, pockets of communities that take care of themselves and are self sufficient!

Also known as terrorism in America.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

Hahahaha, that's great.

Be careful though ATS T&C is ridiculously strict when it comes to this. Nonsensically so.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

just wait till they get raided because they "might" grow an illegal substance or because little annie got a tummy ache from some of the veggies

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yaluk

Who gets raided?
How can 'they' prove who planted what? Anyhow I just 'dumped' what I thought were 'weeds' from my garden....so sue me for fly tipping!

Have you seen what kids'll pick up and shove in their gobs these days?....so don't you go blaming my strawberries and chives sir!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I am not so sure this is unusual. I live in a very rural area where blackberry and damson picking in late summer is the norm. However, this year I noticed that someone had planted tomato plants along the side of a public footpath in the middle of nowhere in particular.

I have also read about so called "free planters" (or words to that effect) who cultivate brown field sites in London and elsewhere. It does not take much to plant a few tings here and there and reap the rewards down the line.

Regards

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
if you do this in America , you go to a re-education camp

naturally grown vegetables don't contain our daily allowance of lead mercury and fluoride

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I am not so sure this is unusual. I live in a very rural area where blackberry and damson picking in late summer is the norm. However, this year I noticed that someone had planted tomato plants along the side of a public footpath in the middle of nowhere in particular.

I have also read about so called "free planters" (or words to that effect) who cultivate brown field sites in London and elsewhere. It does not take much to plant a few tings here and there and reap the rewards down the line.

Regards

When I was small, at least 400 full moons ago, my mum, myself, and my sister used to go blackberry picking every September. Then it was back to the house where my great aunt used to come along with her 'couldron'

and make pots and pots of blackberry jam, while mum made loads of blackberry and apple pies and freeze them for the winter! Best darn blackberry food I ever tasted! Yummy...Oh if only!

If I do the planting, anyone wanting to teach the preserving, pickling etc?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Some things in life are free, currency isnt the be all and end all of living a good life.

Put in an hour a week with everyone else and thats a tonne of crops you dont need to buy.

I for one think while this is obvious, should be activly INFORCED by the council, perhaps with a reduction in local tax for house holds that participate - wont take long till everyones on board

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Now there's an idea!
Like it.
Rainbows
Jane

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join