It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why No Presents Santa? Because Your Family Is Poor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

S&F for revealing a christmas truth!

Unfortunately in some cases, children will believe Santa ignored them because they have done something wrong.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Its seems that most of us are along the same lines, so arguing for the sake of it will not accomplish anything. We should make Christmas our own, and in saying that.. I wish you all a merry Christmas and hope that you celebrate in the way most of us here think is the "right" way.
Take care... goodnight.

-sparks

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

Christmas as well as many other holidays have become over commercialized to the point of redundancy IMO. At least children do not have to bear some of the original festivities ....although as an adult , it's quite tempting to celebrate "viking style"

Christmas was originally a Nordic (viking ) holiday . THis means "Christmas is going to kick butt Viking Style " How does one celebrate ? Good question
#1 beer is a necessity:The Norwegian word for Christmas is actually a pre-Christian Viking drinking festival: Jul = Yule
#2Remember to leave out all leftovers for trolls, fairies and wee ones:After a big feast, remaining food was not cleaned up. It was left out overnight for the little people. If you neglected your nisse — those mischievous elves — ill fortune would hit your family
#4 singing to your pet is a must!!:Legend also has it that farm animals talked to each other on Lussinatten, and that they were given additional feed on this longest night of the year.
#4YULE GOATS!!In Finland, the Yule Goat was originally said to be an ugly creature that frightened children, and demanded gifts at Christmas.

Personally , holidays lost their enchantment years ago ...but I find ways to keep it interesting and fun like decorating with Halloween lights and pumpkins or an "Edgar Allen Poe tree..." Even if someone wants to get tipsy , talk to farm animals all night about elves and set out crappy sculptures , I'd spend any day with that person celebrating than sitting through the same vapid manufactured experiences of today.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I for one, am grateful that I was brought up with believing in santa and all the magic that surrounded the holiday. Most everyone gives to the poor year round and especially at Christmas. It has always been a holiday of laughter and love, of giving and peace, and for many will continue to be so.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I would have to say that Santa certainly mirrors God when it comes to doling out presents for people who are good. A good Calvinist will tell you that of course it's easy to see who God favors because God doesn't just hold out his good fortune and grace and tickets to Heaven until after you're dead. You see the results of your goodness right here on Earth. That's why your loved one recovers from that coma, or your football team wins.

Of course God and Santa play favorites! What would be the point otherwise? Should every evil, lazy slob be rewarded with nice things and a comfortable life on Earth, just to follow some unknown plan of God's? And should Santa give presents to everybody? Where would be the motivation to be good?

No, if you or your parents are poor, it's because either they or their parents were naughty sinners in some way. How, exactly, is between them and Santa/God, but it was probably something really horrible. If not, where is God's good fortune? So tough toenails, kid. You're poor, you or your parents were bad, and that's why you're not getting any presents.

I don't know how it could be any clearer.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
about the whole 'Santa' thing.

I'm almost 39 and I fondly remember the excitement about 'Santa's coming and you better get to sleep!' and the magic about that, trying to stay up and hear the bells of the reindeer, etc. And dad going out at night while we slept and putting paw prints in the snow like the reindeer had been there. Nothing like waking up at 5am on Christmas Day and running to the tree to see the stocking filled with toys and screaming in joy, "He came! Santa was here! Mommy! Dadddy!" and I remember the smiles of love on their faces as me and my brothers would tear open our presents.

And yanno, when we got older and realized he didn't exist, it was fine. We weren't mad. We would love telling younger cousins etc about Santa as well even as 8 year olds knowing better, etc. It's part of the magic of Christmas, just as the claymation show of Rudolph that Burl Ives sings songs throughout. The Isle of Misfit Toys.
Driving around with the family in the warm car with Christmas toons playing while 3 feet of snow is on the ground and you drive around to see all the lights and nativity scenes and how people have their houses decorated. The warmth of hot cocoa at home while old Christmas music from the 40's 50's plays (again, Burl Ives, people like that). Picking out your tree, buying it, driving it home, setting it up, decorating while that same Christmas music plays. Decorating your house. the excitement of the kids.

It's a magic time. I am even very warm inside from all those beautiful memories. And the best? Being in a loving environment with your family and extended family, the hugs, the love, the warmth, the laughter and smiles and good food and just being with each other - while that same old Christmas music plays. The smell of the house due to being decorated with the same decorations your parents got before you were born; like 40 to 50 year old decorations and ornaments.

THAT is all what makes Christmas. For those who are religious, the midnight candle services on Christmas Eve, singing Silent Night as each person lights their candle off their neighbor. Soon the whole church is glowing in candle light, soft song and a feeling of peace, good tidings and will and joy.

I wish that feeling lasted all year long. There's something magical about Christmas; something that brings so much good - yet some people lessen it by thinking it's about physical gifts.
what about the memories like what I have? Those are the best gifts ever. I can close my eyes at any time and KNOW that smell of the old ornaments decorating the house at any time I want to have it. I can hear Burl Ives et al singing "Im Dreaming of a White Christmas" Bing Crosby, etc. I can feel that warmth and love and peace and contentment inside me. THAT is the most priceless gift that keeps on giving.

I read on here people lessening that and I feel for them. I truly do. Christmas is what you want to make of it but really? I think everyone deserves to feel the magic of the holiday. Even those who don't celebrate like Muslims or whoever else. They too deserve a time of warmth, love, peace, tranquility. We're human. We all deserve that feeling.

I hope everyone has a blessed Holiday Season, no matter how you celebrate it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You should've known your dad was lying when he put those paw prints in the snow...reindeer don't have paws, they have hooves!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
While most can attest to Christmas (the event) being nothing more than corporate greed at the base level, you could say the same for pretty much any holiday, birthday, etc. It has all become about corporate greed and their willingness to make us feel guilty if our children don't see their products under the tree each year....
Only if you let it.

To me Christmas is a time of year to spend with loved ones, and to find within ones self or the community the goodness that is always just under the surface. It is just that we are taught love=money, an attitude I would suggest is going the way of the dinosaur very rapidly.
I stated in a previous post some of the best Christmases I've ever had and some of the best presents I've ever received are the ones that are made by my kids and loved ones, the ones they have taken time to create themselves. It doesn't matter what the cost of such a item was, it's meaning always outstrips the cost involved, and gives you a certain good memory even after Christmas has faded.
If you feel for the poor, and most do contrary to popular belief, there are many ways to give both your time and help to those who are less fortunate, and make their lives a bit brighter.
All we need to really do is make Christmas all year round, the real meaning of the holiday, and we might see that bright spot at the end of the tunnel yet

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
If you don't like the materialism and lies then simply don't celebrate it. simple solution. I choose to participate in buying my loved ones gifts, not because I'm told to, because I want to. Even if all the poor kids were to get presents, wouldn't we be supporting materialism and lies? But if the poor kids don't get anything, then the "rich kids" will rub their toys and santa in their faces? sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me. I'll just keep buying my family presents and live the lie I guess. It is after all, my choice.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Found this billboard and thought it was relevant...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

The thing that is even worse on the kids is what another poster had pointed out, these kids think that they did something wrong if they don't get any presents. "Gonna find out who's naughty or nice", it's psychological warfare on the youth. Kids don't deserve that, they need to know that they didn't get presents because Santa is a big, fat lie. Not because they misbehaved and did something wrong.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Our kids do not deserve to be lied too just as we adults dont deserve it from our government.
I told my daughter that there is no Santa, that I am her Santa.. She understands that x-mas is about giving, and being with family. She also believes it is the birthday of Jesus, but that will be another discussion when she is older(shes only 10), as will many other talks about subjects in life.
It is sad to give your child the impression that a magical man will arrive on x-mas eve and leave gifts by the tree. Only the rich can count on that every year. There are many reasons why this is a bad idea, one being that if some day you loose your job/income...Santa wont be coming. Then will you decide to tell your kids the truth? Or will you choose to tell another lie?
I for one will not have to give that sad speech if it came to that, my child is in the know..reality..which is as it should be in the time we live in. The more they know as they grow into adults the better off they will be.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
Our kids do not deserve to be lied too just as we adults dont deserve it from our government.

I remember VERY well when i was still believing in Santa and VERY vividly also when i was told that he actually did not exist.

I didn't experience a trauma or harm or whatsoever by getting told the truth - actually the memories of my childhood where i was still believing in Santa (or bunnies laying eggs etc..) are something which ENRICHED my childhood.

You feel guilty for lying...but i think in reality you take something away from the kid.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

I would rather my child be filled with truth through her young and growing life rather than lies.(no guilt here) But she did have some 5-6 yrs of believing in santa before she found out he was not real. As well as the easter bunny and the tooth fairy..lol
She had no traumatic reaction either, but some kids may have a tough time hearing it for the first time on the note that...there will not be any x-mas gifts from santa because he actually does not exist, and this year we have no money..Especially if they are very young.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have absolutely no problem doing the Santa thing. In fact I love it.

Child hood is so short that I don't believe in removing whatever magic there is. Anymore then my kid wanting superheros to be real.

60 years of the rest of their lives is spent dealing with cold hard truth. What kids need is someone good to believe in. Someone who brings presents selfishlessly. Someone who once a year, gives them personal attention.

That one superhero, unlike Spiderman, is tangible.

Santa left a thank you note two years ago for the cookies, and my child's face lit up and he carried it around all day. For a day, he was special to a hero.

That kind of joy is never a lie.

If it was so devastating as atsers try to make it out to be (note that there aren't any therapists specializing in santa lies) then older siblings wouldn't side with parents to continue the tradition.

A doctor who specializes in this area conducted a study on children and asked them why they think parents did the Santa custom, and over half replied with: so they can make sure we enjoy our christmas.

Many just ended up seeing Santa as a mascot.

Only one or two felt it was a negative thing to do.

edit on 15-12-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I totally agree. People blindly accept corporate lies that buying thousands of pounds/dollars/yen/whatever of materialistic rubbish is "good because you are giving selflessly" when really it is using people as weapons against their own families. Mummy and Daddy are forced to be turned into Freudian RPG's that are launched at their own children to totally twist their minds, all in the name of goodwill. Even if you use the excuse of Christianity as an excuse for celebrating CHRISTmas it's a total lie.

Like i'm really going to believe that a pregnant woman gave birth in a barn in the middle of the night in December?! If that were true, then Mary had some set of balls. That could explain the virgin birth, hermaphroditism, she only has herself to blame

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
When did giving Christmas cards and giving chocolate became a bad thing for older people(people who are .. lets say over 35+ and not immediate family), standard bar is keep rising, this yr Christmas shopping cost me close to $500, that's roughly for 6 people.

i think it has to do with society, and media... how often you seen an ad for the "perfect x-mas gift" on newspaper, and it will be like $99.99 and this year's bar is set(for most people). Also i seen my nephew(7) come home from school, and wants different gaming console because his friend doesn't play the one he got last yr lol

Is there a way to tell non immediate family members that i don't want anything for x-mas, just a x-mas card is fine.. because if they buy me a gift, I am forced to get them something.. well that's how i am..

Christmas is really a chore >

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's time to eliminate poverty and greed by eliminating the need for money (in any form).

Introducing free energy would do just that. See My thread here for more: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Folks can keep Christmas or not...we choose to keep Christmas because it is fun. Life is too short, and there is enough cold hard truths we deal with everyday... so just for a short while... be a kid. And it doesn't have to be a chore...put some love into it.

My wife is making angels that fit over a bottle of muscadine wine...adults only there. For others, I just finished putting the roofs on some bird houses...they have hinged tops so we can fill them with homemade cookies, candies, and treats, and still others will get some home-made sausage from a hog we killed. you won't find those things in next year's yard sales. Oh, everyone else is getting home made cakes and pies...

After reading some of the posts here... it is easy to see whose glass is half empty and whose glass is half full.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

The past several years we have made it for children only. Which is how christmas should be. I make cookies (rum balls! :lol
for everyone. And people immediately dig into their gifts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join