It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite Takes Picture of Chinese Carrier on the Move

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
That is so scary, christ so scary indeed that the Chinese government and Idaho made a pact to make a Chinese city south of Boise, Idaho. On with the news, seriously

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Here's a great perspective of a United States super carrier and a medium sized carrier. I would believe the Chinese carrier is similar to the one shown on the left side of the dock.

Also, the United States have 12 - yes 12, super carriers with roughly 90 aircraft on board.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I know this carrier is years away from being fully operational, but could this be a symbolic gesture by China?

This happens as the Russian aircraft carrier was passing through the waters off of Scotland just yesterday.

I personally don't believe this is anything to worry about, we have all known about this carrier for a while now. I just thought it was interesting news that the satellite has verified it's movement.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Of course there is nothing to worry about.
The Chinese haven't even formed a carrier battle group yet.
That aircraft carrier doesn't even have aircraft on it.
And even if it did, it's equivalent to smaller European carriers which carry about two dozen aircraft.

It might be a threat to China's smaller neighbors, but it's a long way away from being a threat to any major western power, let alone the USA.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
12 fully operational US SUPER-carriers GROUPS that have fully trained personal and dozens of fighter planes EACH...vs an empty boat that floats.

To answer why US asked China needs a carrier...US stated they will protect their interes OVERSEAS, while China stated they are exactly OPPOSITE.China is protecting their MAINLAND.So, indeed...why do they need a carrier for that?

It is safely to assume that in 50 years China will have, probably, 10+ carriers.But how many carriers will US have in 50 years...or better yet, what weapons will make carriers obsolite?

This chinese carrier its juts a propaganda-symbol for their people ONLY.

Oh, on previous topics about chinese ''military power'' many stated that carriers are sitting ducks and couple skilworms can sink them, thats why China don't need carriers.Many supporters of China argued (stupidly) that the chinese military don't need to have carriers because couple missiles cost faaaaar less than a carrier (the supporters argued that China will beat US economicaly, blabla, etc).

So, why do they need a carrier for?
There 2 logical answers : 1.Carriers are powerful, and China wants to have them , or 2.Carriers are not powerful, but China needs to show that they have them, because people think carriers are powerful.

Either way, US wins.They have 12 carrier groups, and China is dozens of year behind, or they are just for propaganda and China, duh, is again behind US, because 12 vs 1 its best propaganda ever.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

China bought the ship from the Ukraine in 1998 and spent years refurbishing it. It had no engines, weaponry or navigation systems when China acquired it.

Read more: www.foxnews.com... xnews%2Fworld+%28Internal+-+World+Latest+-+Text%29#ixzz1gaovx7l6

I wouldn't worry too much knowing the quality of Chinese engines it would be doubtful if the boat could get anywhere near the US before the engines disintegrated.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

No cause for alarm. Chinese pilots do not even have a training facility to practice SIMULATED carrier landings, and not one of their pilots has ever landed at sea. It will take roughly 10 years to gain this capability.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
Here's a great perspective of a United States super carrier and a medium sized carrier. I would believe the Chinese carrier is similar to the one shown on the left side of the dock.

Also, the United States have 12 - yes 12, super carriers with roughly 90 aircraft on board.

I would have to disagree I think its size is comparable to the large carrier on the right.

edit on 15-12-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Bloody awesome piece of machinery, infact i may ebay a large hardcover on carriers!

Why couldnt the chinese hide something inside? Its got a decent volume, imagine this baby with 15-20 advanced and unknown chinese stealth & radar evading holographic jet.

..gotta think outside of the box right?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig
I really wish china wouldtake care of the US. I'm sick of them acting like they are world leaders.

Then they'll come and take care of you. Make no mistake about it. They have no reservations abusing all human rights on their own people... how do you think you will fare?

IRM

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recollector
China is protecting their MAINLAND.So, indeed...why do they need a carrier for that?
My guess is it has nothing to do with going directly up against the US, but rather having a hammer to hang over Taiwain if they try to declare independence, and since it's an island, it's not really part of the mainland.

In addition to Taiwan I think there are some other disputed territories where they might get a little more assertive with a carrier group but again these wouldn't be disputes with the US. The question I have is, what action would the US take if Taiwan did declare independence; would the US support them and if so, how? That's a delicate situation.

The US-China trade relations are important to both countries so I don't think either one will sacrifice that for Taiwan.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Another step for China to claim itself as a superpower. At the rate China is progressing, it'll be a viable rival against Russia and the US.

Luckily, China only has technology for carriers. Any US supercarrier would barely bat an eye before it takes out a jump carrier. There's no competition between carriers and supercarriers. Granted they both do well in projecting power abroad. But a supercarrier can project many times more than China's carrier.

Be glad US is the only country that can afford building and maintaining supercarriers. I theorize it'll take China another decade to start developing their own supercarrier. By then, I hope US finally invests in submersible or stealth carriers or whatever nextgen carrier is coming... (Come on Space Carriers!)

Who predicts China flexing their muscle with actual action when their carrier is finished and deployed? Personally, I see China engaging in some operation against Taiwan or India a lot sooner. It may include China and Pakistan working together.

I'm afraid the United States of America is bankrupt.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So the USA are only allowed aircraft carriers?

I think the US needs to take a step back and look at the death and destruction they inflict upon humanity before bleating on about China. They may not be as blatant about it, but everyone has heard of Guantanamo bay right? How many other prisons like this are scattered around the planet?

China has every right to pursue a better naval presence. At the end of the day they know its only a matter of time before the USA decides they are the enemy/terrorists. China knows there will come a point where they will need to defend their territories or allies.

USA s indebted to China....they probably dont want to pay...so will eventually come up with another excuse to impose sanctions, no fly zones, or military intervention to a "rogue/terrorist" state.

Lets hope the US military are not stupid enough to start a war with this hugely populated and technologically advanced nation.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well, at least the Chinese were kind enough to paint us three targets on its deck

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
FYI:

For size comparison:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Wikipedia: Nimitz

Another FYI, Nimitz class carriers displace around twice as much as the 'Chinese' (former Soviet/Russian/Ukrainian) carrier.

Chinese carrier range:3,850 nautical miles

Nimitz Class Carrier range: UNLIMITED 20-25 YEARS.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Another FYI (for the fear mongers):

Nimitz -> Designed and built for global use.
Varyag -> Designed and built for regional use.

The US has very little to be afraid of with this carrier.

The question is really what Chinese goals are and what their navy will look like in 10-15 years.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Very good points.

I wonder what took them so long to get it ready for sea trials. I know that it had no engines, but the Chinese had it for quite a while.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I don't think it was maintained at all while at dock by either Russia or Ukraine.

If I had to guess, there was a lot more work required than the US, or any western nation, first assumed.

I base that on the Chinese wanting it in sea trials ASAP.

They just made a huge statement to the SE Asia regional area. And that, I believe, was the whole point.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

What would that statement be? "Look at our recycled LFT!" (Large Floating Target) Until they start operating aircraft from it, that's all that it is.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

You have to put it in comparison to their regional rivals, not to a US (or even NATO) standard.

To their regional rivals they just stated that we will soon be able to reach out and touch you!

To their main regional rival (India) they just flat out stated that we (China) will be running this area shortly. (India is in the process of decommissioning their only carrier to be replaced with an all new design - they are 10-15 years out as of right now from having a fully functioning ac carrier).

Let's face it, they (India and China) know that the US is not going to be the regional power in SE Asia for much longer. It is simply unsustainable in light of the growing powers of India and China. It is in the US's best interest to let them have some control in that region, but keep them hemmed into that regional area.

I believe we are seeing the first stages of an Indian/Chinese arms race...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join