It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite Takes Picture of Chinese Carrier on the Move

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Satellite Takes Picture of Chinese Carrier on the Move

www.foxnews.com

DENVER – DigitalGlobe Inc., a commercial satellite company, said Wednesday that it took a photograph of China’s first aircraft carrier during a sea trial in the Yellow Sea, off the Chinese coast.

The Pentagon did not confirm the image, but Stephen Wood, the satellite company’s director, said he’s confident about the Dec. 8 photograph due to the carrier’s location.

Although China insists the carrier is intended for research and training, its use has raised concern about the country’s military strength and its increasingly assertive claims over disputed territory.

While the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I know this carrier is years away from being fully operational, but could this be a symbolic gesture by China?

This happens as the Russian aircraft carrier was passing through the waters off of Scotland just yesterday.

I personally don't believe this is anything to worry about, we have all known about this carrier for a while now. I just thought it was interesting news that the satellite has verified it's movement.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
FOX NEWS

Im sorry, what about a carrier?

And curious: why did this satellite company take this pic in the first place? Because they can OR because they have been watching it...

edit on 14/12/11 by ThatGuy45 because: cause

edit on 14/12/11 by ThatGuy45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What is funny is that years ago the US Govt. response to news of the Chinese building a Aircraft Carrier was....

What do YOU need an aircraft carrier for ???

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

I'm not a fan of FOX either but there were no other outlets reporting this yet when I searched and they sourced their information this time.

They definitely put their own spin on the story but I'm sure all of us have our own spin to add since it's China and their first aircraft carrier.

It's not Top Gun that's for sure

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thanks C E and all I see when I look at that picture wal-marts full of goodies that we are forced to buy. I vote we do it like this. If the Government wants to tell us what to do and try to take away our rights and violate the constitution then why not simply tell the Chinese, "Sorry but the Ho Chi Minh trail is now finished and we have to get back to you when we figure this mess out." s/f always

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

haha no harm. It is a good post, and a nice clean pic. I just could not resist when I saw that as the source link.

I really did try but my smart a** got the best of me

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I wonder just how useful ship and her Russian sister will end up being. In a straight up fight against a US carrier group they will probably buy the farm pretty quick. Anyone know how effective the SHIPWRECK missiles she is supposed to carry are?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Good catch CE. While ity may be in it's sea trials, I would be interested to see how they have adapted thier aircraft for carrier rigors (landing gear, etc.). You can't just throw a jet onto a deck expect it to hold up for even one launch and catch.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Another step for China to claim itself as a superpower. At the rate China is progressing, it'll be a viable rival against Russia and the US.

Luckily, China only has technology for carriers. Any US supercarrier would barely bat an eye before it takes out a jump carrier. There's no competition between carriers and supercarriers. Granted they both do well in projecting power abroad. But a supercarrier can project many times more than China's carrier.

Be glad US is the only country that can afford building and maintaining supercarriers. I theorize it'll take China another decade to start developing their own supercarrier. By then, I hope US finally invests in submersible or stealth carriers or whatever nextgen carrier is coming... (Come on Space Carriers!)

Who predicts China flexing their muscle with actual action when their carrier is finished and deployed? Personally, I see China engaging in some operation against Taiwan or India a lot sooner. It may include China and Pakistan working together.

link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
What is funny is that years ago the US Govt. response to news of the Chinese building a Aircraft Carrier was....

What do YOU need an aircraft carrier for ???

Haven't you heard?

Carrier Groups are obsolete. Remember when the Chinese sub surfaced near the US Carrier battle group during an exercise? The US/West subs do the same to their navy. [Only don't get caught or brag about it]

Carriers are vulnerable to subs.

edit on 14-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by ThatGuy45
And curious: why did this satellite company take this pic in the first place? Because they can OR because they have been watching it...

Because they can.
Now imagine some of the US/West higher tech military Spy-Sats which watch over and monitor their carrier group/Naval activities.

edit on 14-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This is just another part of the Chi-coms plan to take back what they think is rightfully theres. This is a speech circulating that may not be accurate due to the lack of credible sources. Take with a grain of salt. hoax ?

The following is the actual text of a speech delivered in December, 2005 by Comrade Chi Haotian ­the Vice-Chairman of China’s Military Commission to top officers and generals.

During our long history, our people have disseminated throughout the Americas and the regions along the Pacific Rim, and they became Indians in the Americas and the East Asian ethnic groups in the South Pacific. We all know that on account of our national superiority, during the thriving and prosperous Tang Dynasty our civilization was at the peak of the world. We were the centre of the world civilization, and no other civilization in the world was comparable to ours. Later on, because of our complacency, narrow-mindedness, and the self-enclosure of our own country, we were surpassed by Western civilization, and the centre of the world shifted to the West.

Therefore, solving the ‘issue of America’ is the key to solving all other issues. First, this makes it possible for us to have many people migrate there and even establish another Chinaunder the same leadership of the CCP. America was originally discovered by the ancestors of the yellow race, but Columbus gave credit to the White race. We the descendants of the Chinese nation are ENTITLED to the possession of the land! It is historical destiny that China and United States will come into unavoidable confrontation on a narrow path and fight. In the long run, the relationship of China and the United States is one of a life-and-death struggle. Of course, right now it is not the time to openly break up with them yet. Our reform and opening to the outside world still rely on their capital and technology. We still need America. Therefore, we must do everything we can to promote our relationship with America, learn from America in all aspects and use America as an example to reconstruct our country. Only by using special means to ‘clean up’ America will we be able to lead the Chinese people there. Only by using non-destructive weapons that can kill many people will we be able to reserve America for ourselves.

link to full speech

edit on 14/12/11 by Arkansas because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/12/11 by Arkansas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't see how this is news? Who cares if their carrier is on the move, we have a ton of them patrolling all the waters of the world, why do we care so much what the Chinese are doing? Even if it went into Iranian waterways who cares. It's okay for the United States to have their ships everywhere but no one else can?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

This is the problem with underestimating the resolve and long term plans. Your right about it being just one but what about when its 20+ and they have been fielded and tested for 30 years. Think 100 years into the 1000 a year plan.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I was going to say how as its their first carrier and ones they get the kinks worked out they'll start churning out their version of a nuclear carrier and how we should be wary not dismissive of the PRC Navy.

But they have Pissed Me OFF (no reason given) so I give the worst slight I in my small way that I can The Bastards

edit on 14-12-2011 by bakedbluedevil because: Dang it

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkansas
This is just another part of the Chi-coms plan to take back what they think is rightfully theres.

The following is the actual text of a speech delivered in December, 2005 by Comrade Chi Haotian ­the Vice-Chairman of China’s Military Commission to top officers and generals.

You don't have to be a genius to realise this is a complete fake. First of all, the source this alleged speech comes from is a known anti-China-anti-communist website. Secondly, why on earth would a "Comrade" use such violent and warmongering claims knowing this would leak? And third of all, he was replaced in 2003 while they claim this speech was made in 2005.

For more info visit this link.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Ok. So it floats. I'm waiting for them to start flight ops. Let's hope it stays afloat. Without VTOL aircraft, it is going to take them awhile to get the hang of flight ops. It is a steep and costly learning curve. The US has operated carriers since the 1930's and we are still on the learning curve. That's from personal experience in attending memorial services for some of the costs of that curve and this was before 1990.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

You seem skeptical of the potential Chinese navy of the future. I can't say I blame you, but some of you seem overly skeptical, perhaps there are reasons for this.

As you said it's a learning curve, and a long one. I expect them to go through a lot of trial and error. I do believe that since they're starting off on a whole new level of technology compared to the American aircraft carrier program of the 1930's that the learning curve will not be as steep, but they obviously have a long way to go though.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Interesting.

It was not suppose to be operational until 2014........
Must be a reason for sped up production?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join