It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Really A Super Power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
In the age of nukes and all big bombs. Is it true to say X country is a superpower. A few **undected** nukes could bring a country to its knees if major cities where targeted.

Maby when defense against missile attacks better this will all be false,but I belive the fate of the world rest in groups who are able to produce nukes,or who already have them. I remember watching a flash movie not to long ago about USA nuking china and setting off a chain reaction with every one shooting every one.Unliking as it is,I belive when the first nuke is in the air, just how fast the others get airbourn is a matter of reaction time of the operators.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The thing with the terrorist nuke idea is that the plutonium can be traed to it's original maker. So, say OBL set one off, we couldn't prove it was him, but we could prove who gave it to him. So the most likely countries to sell him or the middleman, would take this into account, because god knows you do not want the nuclear finger pointed at your country after NYC, DC, LA ect have been nuked.

And yes, there are superpowers. Right now the US is the only one, and is boarder line Hyperpower - that is, nearly overwhelmingly dominate. Soon, you will see the EU turn into an economic superpower, and perhaps overtime a military one as well. China is on it's way to joining the US as well.

What defines a superpower? I would say a superpower is a nation which can influence any other nation or state of events through it's economy, military, and political power.

Right now the US is the only one that fits the bill

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   

n the age of nukes and all big bombs. Is it true to say X country is a superpower. A few **undected** nukes could bring a country to its knees if major cities where targeted.

Right now the US is the only one that fits the bill

It only took 19 people with paper knifes to bring a major crisis/upset to the world's 'superpower'. There is no superpower when it comes to human inventiveness.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I would say there is no superpower, im not sure who will become the next superpower. Maybe the EU or China, but im not sure

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
"I would say a superpower is a nation which can influence any other nation or state of events through it's economy, military, and political power. "

Hm,I dont remember seeing to many people jump to idea of War on Iraq.
Maby a factor of superpower is almost every country people hatings its gov'?If thats so USA wins straight off
,but really like masterp,19 People with paper knifes have killed...how many other people around the world? Although I dont know the real facts on how much the gov' knew about 11/9(Where did 911 come from,Always wondered me). Maby the following wars could of been a bit more organized.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
china is fcuking scary they will kick some ass lol

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
maybe the term just needs to be updated. I would argue superpower simply means at the top of the food chain, largest military and economy. Having ICBM's is a pre-requisite
having a dirty bomb makes you a threat, not a super-power, IMO

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
In the age of nukes and all big bombs. Is it true to say X country is a superpower. A few **undected** nukes could bring a country to its knees if major cities where targeted.

The US and SU were superpowers because their nuclear arsenals were so large and sophisticated -and- because their non-nuclear military was so vast and powerful. Similiarly, the British Empire, back when it was around, was something of a superpower, because it could control entire portions of the globe and project its power almost anywhere. Of course, none of that means that the indivdiual super-powers will allwyas win every particular battle. The Soviets had afghanistan, the US had viet nam, and even the british back in the heyday of its imperial stage had the boers.
edited to add:

"I would say a superpower is a nation which can influence any other nation or state of events through it's economy, military, and political power. "

Hm,I dont remember seeing to many people jump to idea of War on Iraq.

And yet, it still happened. Even with such a large portion of the world against it, even with the United Nations 'not in favour of it' (ie, there was never a resolution against it anyways) it still happened. A Major Power, like Germany before WWI, wouldn't be able to do that. But a superpower can.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
(Where did 911 come from,Always wondered me).

Ignoring the rest of your rant.....

In the US, the month is stated first, then the date. Just the way things are done. Also a passing reference to the emergency telephone number used nearly nation wide. Pick up any phone and dial 9-1-1 and you will get an emergency assistance operator that will connect you to police, fire, ambulance or whatever.

top topics

join