It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
A few hundred years is a long time in our terms, and imagine the technology that will be available , if we survive it.

It may be that the most logical place to live is on a dead planet, or moon where there is no atmosphere, earthquakes, storms, ice ages, floods and a host of other climactic catastrophes that wipe out entire civilizations. Perhaps some of our earliest ancestors did the same thing.

With the proper technology, you go there and manufacture the environment, with total control over it. A plausible future.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
This Finnish Nuclear Scientists said the Fukushima Nuclear Reactor criticality sent Neutron beams down into Earth and there's a "methane clutter" (layer of methane) surrounding the entire planet. Remember when we saw the Neutron Beams from Fukushima shooting up? Apparently it went down as well.

They expected the methane clutter to go boom around the entire planet....blowing every other nuclear reactor on Earth.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I suddenly thought of the whole Rockefeller clan going to India. Never heard they came back. This sulfide is a heavy gas, so I imagine Himalayas might be a resort for the rich. And perhaps why they moved everything to Colorado Airport as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Who farted?
It was the ice.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Well said. I also would like to point out how Canada just today has been strongly criticized by China, India and Japan of all people about their decision to withdraw from the Kioto Agreement.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Another very intelligent response - we should be so proud of some of our members. At least if the worst ever does come along and bite us, we'll have some well thought out scenarios to work on.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

THESE PLUMES ARE THE RESULT OF ANTHROPOGENIC GLOBAL WARMING.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE GET THIS.... WHY DON'T THEY READ.

People do read Hierarchy but I'm afraid people being people do tend to have differing opinions. The Scientist themselves also differ - some of them very strongly.

Why don't you read - the other side of the argument!

It's the causes of Global Warming thats the Hot Issue.

While bombs and industry are wreaking havoc and making enormous profits to feed the lifestyles of the already rich - the poor are being expected to pay the price and are.
edit on 14-12-2011 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
What about hazards to boats within that area?

As far as i rememeber, large quantities of rising methane can allegedly cause boats to sink.
Wasn't this the supposed reason behind boats dissapearing within the bermuda triangle? (i know it doesn't explain the dissapearing planes, but still).

Just that the idea popped into my head of another bermuda-triangle-style danger zone to come of this. I can't be 100% sure if methane is the culprit for sinking boats though, i vaguely rmeember something along the lines of that however. Lets hope no shipments carrying rubber ducks sails through this area lol.

*thinking out loud*

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine
reply to post by quedup

and oddly enough, it has nothing to do with mankind.

guess that anthropomorphic crap is out the window again, eh?

Sure is! That window is more a revolving door.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That would be true recycling but as far as I can understand it's too big and too volatile to control with the technology we have. Look at the Gulf Oil Spill they still can't control that so ...........

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
This Finnish Nuclear Scientists said the Fukushima Nuclear Reactor criticality sent Neutron beams down into Earth and there's a "methane clutter" (layer of methane) surrounding the entire planet. Remember when we saw the Neutron Beams from Fukushima shooting up? Apparently it went down as well.

They expected the methane clutter to go boom around the entire planet....blowing every other nuclear reactor on Earth.

www.youtube.com...

And now Reactor No 4 is about to blow big time which will make North/Eastern Japan uninhabitable - Yes it's looking like it's all going to go off at once.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
This is a positive feedback loop climate scientists predicted long ago. With CO2 warming we have light a fuse, and arctic methane is the bomb. The blame is still on us - a bomb is harmless without a fuse.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Originally posted by Pervius

www.youtube.com...

And now Reactor No 4 is about to blow big time which will make North/Eastern Japan uninhabitable - Yes it's looking like it's all going to go off at once.

I, for 1, look forward to the influx of japanese refugees. Hell, I'll be the first to open my home to a family. (not kidding) Would boost the local IQ by at least 30 points and I'm not stereotyping, just stating facts. I'm not very smart anyway.
edit on 14-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Vitchilo
They should put the methane on fire... it would turn into CO2... which would be better.

Right?

Better than methane,chose the best option in the two evils.

What and risk ignighting the giant reserves underground and blowing a massive cunk of the planet into orbit...lol

Look, if it causes a Ice age, it'll take a little while so don't sweat it.. you prolly won't even be round when it dose come. And as for us lall dying from lack of Oxygen... lololol Methane is light, it will rise and displace the Ocygen to a powerr point in the atmosphere, making the levels higher and thicker. Sorta like living in a huge Oxygen lounge...lol

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
As a practicing Buddhist, I hope to return again as the most enlightened prokaryote imaginable. Om swasti to you all, friends!
edit on 14-12-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruptedstructure
This is what I have always believed the earth can self regulate. Whether with Methane gas and/or volcanoes, ect. Now with the sun going into a solar minimum in a couple years on top of it. I am preparing 2 full years of wood just in case!

It does not self regulate as in "we don't need to do anything about man made warming (fossil CO2) becasue the earth is self regulating". The earth has islands of stability with feedback mechanisms that ensure the climate does not swing wildly from one extreme to an another. So the climate we had was stable until man pumped in more c02 than the self regualting mechanims could cope with. This provokes a change, a trigger if you like that stimulates change (previous triggers were NOT CO2 which is why there is a lag in the ice record and why deniers are showing their ignorance on the subject) .

In my opinion people have overlooked the stability issue. The earth will NOT stablise at 2C-4C warmer (climate models) but this will merely provoke change until we are probably more like Jurassic temperatures ie 10C warmer. The world will be hellishly different then and damn site quicker than predicted. Ice core analysis suggests we can flip between ice ages in a decade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so theres an indication of how rapidly the earths climate can flip.

Better hope the scary methane stories are wrong.,

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Brilliant spot thanks OP.

Now this is concerning. I actually think this may be directly linked to the increasing wind speeds we are seeing around the world.

My (limited) understanding of methane clathrate releases is that (amongst many other concerns) they provide fuel for the weather cycles, meaning things pick up in intensity - whether it is rain, snow or, as we are seeing all over the world, increasing winds.

I would also add that as terrifying as this potentially is, all these changes occur when we simply leave the methane alone. Could we not find a way to harness it instead? Make some good come from it!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

This has been suggested by a few members but it seems - it is far too big and too volatile to even attempt. We don't have the technology to handle such a project. As I said earlier in the thread - just look at the Gulf Oil Spill they can't even control that and this thing is far bigger.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar
As a practicing Buddhist, I hope to return again as the most enlightened prokaryote imaginable. Om swasti to you all, friends!
edit on 14-12-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the blessing - keep praying and as one member said I hope they have got this wrong.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join