It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of Higgs Boson (God Particle) Found by CERN

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

One of CERN's most senior physicists this afternoon announced firm evidence for the existence of the elusive Higgs Boson, or God particle. Although the signal doesn't meet strict scientific standards for a 'full scientific discovery', it's still enough for researchers at CERN'S Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to predict a discovery next year. Two separate teams of scientists have been running independent experiments in secret from each other in order to improve the veracity of the results with the team leader of one, Fabiola Gianotti, proclaiming that they believe they've found signs of the Higgs boson in the past year. A typical 'candidate event' for the Higgs boson, including two high-energy photons whose energy (depicted by red towers) is measured by CMS. The yellow lines are the measured tracks of other particles produced in the collision A typical 'candidate event' for the Higgs boson, including two high-energy photons whose energy (depicted by red towers) is measured by CMS.

edit on 13-12-2011 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

Here is a snippet from the article, due to the daily mail website being unable to copy articles without taking all inbetween and people moaning, then you will have to click on the link itself to read in full. You will see my opinion a few posts down, thanks to those that like to moan, those that can't visit the link for firewall type reasons ect will have to go without.
edit on 13-12-2011 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

very awesome article, thank you for posting..
you might want to go back to the title article and break it up into paragraphs to make it easier to read though. just a suggestion, wall of text is intimidating and a lot of folks will skip important information for that reason alone.

S& F great stuff!!!

link   
You need to edit this a little bit, wall of text, and things are getting repeated several times throughout, Just thought i would mention it.

link   
Ahhhhnh! Me eyes! Curse you Wall O Text! You win again!

Seriously, you may wanna edit your post. Use 3 paragraphs from the article & perhaps write a short summary for your viewers.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Epic discovery, not sure what it means for Science apart from it is a game changer. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
They need to leave it alone. It's not like TPTB are going to do anything positive for humanity with any new discovery. They ain't sharing squat with the rest of us, all these scientific discoveries do is improve their status and hold on this planet and us all.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Very important development! I'll be following this closely Thanks for posting;however; Please edit your o.p. several sections are redundant.and the "wall of text "effect makes it tough to plow through.

edit on 13-12-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sikk! one of my highlights of the year!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Yeah wall of text...

...you could maybe use the search button occasionally too, already a thread on this.

And lastly there is no definitive evidence as yet...nobody has a Higgs Boson and maybe just maybe the Higgs Boson is the Higgs Field itself.

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
"it's still enough for researchers at CERN'S Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to predict a discovery next year"

lol Sounds like nasa's annoucement on planets . Cern playing the same games now .

I guess so with the amount of money spent on that . You better come out with periodic reassurances , as for me i'll wait till next year before claiming anything in the ops title.

a fart in the machine can be evidence of a higgs boson aslong as you word it right

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

Yeah wall of text...

...you could maybe use the search button occasionally too, already a thread on this.

And lastly there is no definitive evidence as yet...nobody has a Higgs Boson and maybe just maybe the Higgs Boson is the Higgs Field itself.

Cosmic..

A"boson" is a typeof the "particle" (for the lack of a better term) that "carries" (i.e."is") the field

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

wow! did you copy and paste that all by yourself? I put together a video explaining the theories here for you.www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Epic discovery, not sure what it means for Science apart from it is a game changer. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

If the Higgs is truely the source of mass and it can be manipulated, then we can manage gravity and mass just as we manage electrical fields... course there is a lot of "if" there.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

A particle is a wave is a particle is a wave..

...your point is..???

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by 46ACE

A particle is a wave is a particle is a wave..

...your point is..???

Cosmic..

A field is not a wave. The electron carries an electric field, but the field itself is not the electrons... it is a side effect of the electrons.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
So i completely understand what this means. But can someone explain to the people who don't understand what this "god particle" is and what it means now it has been discovered?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
So i completely understand what this means. But can someone explain to the people who don't understand what this "god particle" is and what it means now it has been discovered?

Physicists think that the Higgs Boson, aka the God Particle is what creates the effect of "mass" in particles. Mass, of course leads to gravity. Controll of mass = Control of gravity.

It also serves to complete the grand unification theory linking electromagetism to gravity, which is a bit of a holy grail for physics.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Good thread. I don't find a wall of text to be a problem. That's why I logged on to a forum. Would yo all prefer pictures or a finger painting?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Question:

Ok... so the Higgs gives everything mass... what gives higgs mass???

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

hmmm, given that the Higgs field is believed to be responsible for Mass, and the Higgs boson would help us to understand why other particles have mass, then in the very act of being able to find it, could we remove it, and by removing it would we be able to remove mass? removing mass....black hole?
edit on 13-12-2011 by Nustle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join