It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of Higgs Boson (God Particle) Found by CERN

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by Bixxi3
So i completely understand what this means. But can someone explain to the people who don't understand what this "god particle" is and what it means now it has been discovered?

Physicists think that the Higgs Boson, aka the God Particle is what creates the effect of "mass" in particles. Mass, of course leads to gravity. Controll of mass = Control of gravity.

It also serves to complete the grand unification theory linking electromagetism to gravity, which is a bit of a holy grail for physics.

Erm wrong..

...Physicists believe the Higgs Field is what gives particles mass not the Higgs Boson.

Discovery of the Higgs Boson is intended to prove the Higgs Field Theory.

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

So i completely understand what this means. But can someone explain to the people who don't understand what this "god particle" is and what it means now it has been discovered?

Physicists think that the Higgs Boson, aka the God Particle is what creates the effect of "mass" in particles. Mass, of course leads to gravity. Controll of mass = Control of gravity.

It also serves to complete the grand unification theory linking electromagetism to gravity, which is a bit of a holy grail for physics.

Erm wrong..

...Physicists believe the Higgs Field is what gives particles mass not the Higgs Boson.

Discovery of the Higgs Boson is intended to prove the Higgs Field Theory.

Cosmic..

Semantics?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nustle
reply to post by rogerstigers

hmmm, given that the Higgs field is believed to be responsible for Mass, and the Higgs boson would help us to understand why other particles have mass, then in the very act of being able to find it, could we remove it, and by removing it would we be able to remove mass? removing mass....black hole?
edit on 13-12-2011 by Nustle because: (no reason given)

Lack of mass does not equal black hole.. it means being able to go light speed without using infinite fuel...

Course, my understanding of this is from Leon Lederman's book.. and it has been a while since I read it, so I am a bit rusty on the details.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is not how to start a new topic. First of all you just copy/pasted the entire article without any personal input. That's not so bad, but you actually included those completely irrelevant links in the middle of the article as well, indicating that you didn't even read it:

"More... Wi-fi on the blink? A new faster, stronger version of wireless is due next year. Is this the world's smallest hand? Scientists craft tiny hand just 0.00035mm across - by accident"

And secondly, there are at least 4 different topics already about this same announcement, each of them are like right next to each other so you don't even need the search function to spot them. I know I sound like an ungrateful brat but this topic honestly deserves some healthy criticism. I mean come on, the 2 embedded links in the middle of the article... jeez duuuude...

edit on 13-12-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Scientific fact.

The field provides the mass.

The Boson is a product of the Field.

Take it up with Peter Higgs if you think it's semantics.

Cosmic..
edit on 13-12-2011 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by famalhut

Happy now?

And I could only find threads stating that the news was eventually to be released. I think a discovery of this kind warrants being the first post in the thread, don't you?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watts
Question:

Ok... so the Higgs gives everything mass... what gives higgs mass???

("Higgs field" is an energy fieldi t has no mass in and of itself: that's like asking:How much does a magnetic field weigh?...)

real answer:
Why; Old, father Johnson down at the parish of course.

edit on 13-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In assessing the situation, please keep these well-known shortcomings of the Standard Model of particle physics firmly in mind.

1. The Standard Model is primarily a heuristic model with 26-30 fundamental parameters that have to be put in by hand.

2. The Standard Model cannot predict the masses of the fundamental particles that make up all of the luminous matter that we can observe.

3. The Standard Model did not predict the existence of the dark matter that constitutes the overwhelming majority of matter in the cosmos. The Standard Model describes heuristically the "foam on top of the ocean".

4. The vacuum energy density crisis clearly suggests a fundamental flaw at the very heart of particle physics. The VED crisis involves the fact that the vacuum energy densities predicted or measured by particle physicists (microcosm) and cosmologists (macrocosm) differ by up to 120 orders of magnitude (roughly 1070 to 10120, depending on how one estimates the particle physics VED).

5. The Planck mass is highly unnatural, i.e., it bears no relation to any particle observed in nature, and calls into question the foundations of the quantum chromodynamics sector of the Standard Model.

6. Many of the key particles of the Standard Model have never been directly observed. Rather, their existence is inferred from secondary, or more likely, tertiary decay products. Quantum chromodynamics is entirely built on inference, conjecture and speculation. It is too complex for simple definitive predictions and testing.

Think for Yourself...Question Authority

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thanks for posting
I used to read Stephen King books, so walls of text that last more than a full page are just normal to me
And for people who don't like walls of text, you could go search the internet yourself or click the link, rather than having everything spoonfed here at this one site. You cant always have everything both ways! Spoonfed, AND in a nice format? Haha
Although I would have checked and deleted the repeated info because, what can I say, I'm a little bit of a stickler
but some people seem a little spoiled... Remember before there was real internet? Remember DOS? Or the old forums?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

I don't fully understand why it is labelled as "The GOD Particle". Can someone please explain it too me ?
I am not that bright

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
They need to leave it alone. It's not like TPTB are going to do anything positive for humanity with any new discovery. They ain't sharing squat with the rest of us, all these scientific discoveries do is improve their status and hold on this planet and us all.

yeah, would much prefer to undergo an operation in the 17th century

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
never saw no miracle of science that didn't always end up as something worse. - sting

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Why do they call it the god particle? I'm sure no respected science thought of the name. I'm pretty sure they called it that just to gather funding and what not.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rationalistswagger
Why do they call it the god particle? I'm sure no respected science thought of the name. I'm pretty sure they called it that just to gather funding and what not.

Why not look it up?

Nevermind... you owe me two seconds of my life!

The God Particle

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I do believe it is likely possible however is this a widely accepted view or an assumption? I am no good at science but I do know not everything can be controlled. Just curious.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I just don't get what this means to us. I ask and I get answers like "it's going to change physics", but what does it mean to us really? Am I going to get 200 more channels on my cable TV? Will I get better gas milage? How does this benefit humanity specifically? I don't expect anything more than vague, cryptic answers, because I don't think anyone knows. It's just "one of the greatest discoveries of all time".

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well, nothing has been entirely confirmed as of yet,

While not definitive enough to claim a discovery, new results provide the best evidence yet for the existence of the elusive and coveted Higgs boson.

The reasons for caution are also scientific. Five sigma is the level of statistical certainty required to claim a discovery. Three sigma can be counted as an observation. But, says Pippa Wells, a senior scientist on Atlas, "we are not even there yet".

The certainty of what the scientists have seen is not much higher than throwing one die and getting two sixes in a row - around the two sigma level.

i.e., it's not completely dismissing the idea of the Higg's boson, but they don't have enough information at this moment in time for the certain existence of the boson.

Be patient though, we'll soon find out whether it's real or not

Analysis: Higgs result offers glimpse of the future

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rationalistswagger

I think the media called it 'the god particle' because no one knew (or knows) if it exists or not

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It is a shortened version of "God-damn Particle" as it is so god-damn hard to find.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I guess this could be construed as going off topic, but I really frame it in the realm of Physics and our understanding and pose a question for this Boson topic...... Suppose you had a person that was claiming to be a time traveler, and had the opportunity to ask him or her something what would it be? Would you waste your questions like those in Genie stories, or would you seek information about things in the near future that could gain you wealth like lottery numbers, ........OR would you take the opportunity at something really important like advances in Physics and quantum mechanics?? Would you ask about this current exploration into particle physics? We would like to know about this current experimentation and if it will be fruitful or just leave a bunch more questions in the staircase to the Unified Field theory. I would ask if 'String theory' was ever actually proved, or if Tachyons existed or all the current state of the art thinking, .....was any of it close to the real properties. Finally I would ask, if they did in fact find the 'GOD ' particle, and what was left beyond that to discover. Would mans comprehension allow even deeper questions into the mysteries of the universe, could we know all ..... or would we be limited by treading in the territory God occupies? I guess we are waiting for the Cern news with baited breath, but I'm afraid it will only lead to more and deeper questions, still the quest for knowledge will march on, as man seeks the answers as to why were here, and will "WE" matter much, beyond just being observers???

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join