It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TCF bank penalizes kid with $4.85 in his account by charging him $234.95 in fees in two weeks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

This is How to Create Money out of Thin Air

Legal Thieves in action! This is revolting.

A young man left $4.85 in his TCF Bank account. TCF assessed him a $9.95 "maintenance fee" for not having enough money in his account. Then they charged him for being overdrawn by $5.10 (ten cents more than he was allowed by their rules). In less than two weeks, they'd assessed so many fees and penalties against the account holder that he owed them $229.10. All for having the temerity to have a low-balance account. The bank said it was his own fault for not having more money. Finally, they relented -- only after being contacted by a newspaper.

Source

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My mom had some bank issues , she was charged a fee over the consideration of something and came to the idea that said something could not be done. Yeah right more like "# that! Tell 'em we thought about it and charge 'em anyway! " .

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That's the price of keeping useless fiat paper currency.

They don't really care about us. All the bankers and most world governments concern about is making maximum profit.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

I just checked the TCF website.
The monthly service fee is there in plain view right up front and easy to find,
the overdraft fee (among many others) was also easily found in a pdf file on that site.

So... if they state the rules up front and openly, why do customers feel they dont have to abide by them?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisdomnotemotion
That's the price of keeping useless fiat paper currency.

They don't really care about us. All the bankers and most world governments concern about is making maximum profit.

I totally agree with you. They are neither prejudice nor racial, they will legally steal from ANYONE. even from each other (no honor amongst thieves)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

I can add to this...

Back in Feb, I picked up something of a promotion to work out of our home office in another state. (Texas) I opened a bank account with Chase then. After being pushed into a spending limit, based on what the bank demands of it's customers if they arnt making millions, I assume..

I wasnt happy with it, so I went over to chase, the same bank my company uses.

I left 18+ dollars in the bank to cover any fees that might take me by suprise. I advised the lady that I wanted to close my account. She advised that by leaving a little money it to cover any charges were a great idea. I advised that once a few days have gone by, I wanted my account closed.

After a few days, I contacted the bank and found that the 18$ was no longer there. I was $ -4.00. So I called, complained and she advised that she would take care of it. I told her not to even worry about the 18 dollars. I would not drive across town to pick up 18$. She acted like I owed the money anyways, and her bringing my balance to zero was justified... not to what I had in the account.

I asked her about this and she said.. "you didnt have enough in your account, so we charged...."

What??? I was closing my account. YOU were there, as MY accountant. YOU were the person I started MY account with! You OWE me 18$. I dont owe you a damn thing!

Fired up... I ALMOST went and got my 18$ that I felt they wouldnt give me anyways. I figured, ya know... Too much hassle.. it's done.

Here it is.. 4 months later, and I get a statement in the mail showing my account has been closed due to insuffitient funds.. still leaving me with a penalty.

WTF!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If a bank or some other financial entity starts charging fees or starts putting other charges on an account or announces via some notice that they will start, take your money and run. Unless you cross your t's and dot your i's to make sure you meet all of their minimum requirements to not get charged, you're better off finding someone who isn't going to destroy your account because in their opinion, they don't want you because you don't have enough money with them.

If they offer free checking, etc. or no fees etc. I'd stay with them. There may be a catch to get it free but not always.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Epic Hilarity VIA Louis CK

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is a scam that was aimed at these that closed there accounts and move to credit unions because of all the bank fees.

If you took everything out and some fee was missed they have you for overdraft.
If you left something in the account to cover these they used it to get you this way with fees.

Its the banks way of getting even. Because they have you in a trap that you can not get out of.
It makes it imposable to close a account without paying a stiff penalty.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

the overdraft fee (among many others) was also easily found in a pdf file on that site.

So... if they state the rules up front and openly, why do customers feel they dont have to abide by them?

Yea but they change charges and fees all the time without notifying customers. I've had to deal with bs before from them even though they weren't all that bad . just a few instances where they used no logic what so ever.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You're kidding right?

From 4 dollars to a few hundred in penalties? I checked the site also and it doesn't say anywhere that the bank can extort money from the very same people already giving them money.

Also, how many people open a bank account and check the bank website for T&C? Very low number I'd guess and the bank knows this.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
B of A did the same thing to me after they acquired a bank I was with. I closed my account and moved to another bank. I got a bill a month later for $225.50 in fees for some crap they came up with. I didn't owe them anything but they sued me anyway and stole the money out of the new account in the bank I moved to with a court order. The Judge would not listen to my reasoning or my proof that I had legally closed the account!

Zindo!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I am sure that the usual handful of degenerate SNAKES and SHILLS on these forums who hate on the Occupy movement, while always defending the wealthy SNAKES and DEVILS of this country, are probably thinking to themselves that this is the KIDS FAULT and that he DESERVED it!!

DEVILS.

edit on 11-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Nobody deserves this treatment!!! Especially a kid, though I bet he learned an important lesson either keep the minimum in or draw it all out (most banks I know don't penalize you for drawing it out at once and they usually don't have a contract like a cell phone). He would have been better off removing that 4 dollars and change when he realized it was below the "minimum". Still a kid don't know the ways of the world either, so this is a lesson for him. Maybe he'll go to a credit union instead now.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
I am sure that the usual handful of degenerate SNAKES and SHILLS on these forums who hate on the Occupy movement, while always defending the wealthy SNAKES and DEVILS of this country, are probably thinking to themselves that this is the KIDS FAULT and that he DESERVED it!!

DEVILS.

edit on 11-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

If they would have occupied banks like they did the parks, i might have cheered them on. I dont hate the rich, I just hate greedy.

That "handfull" are probably kids themselves.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yeah, it is ridiculous and something lots of banks do. It's such a weird thing to. Usually people have low balances because they just don't have the money.

These fee's are absurd and something I consider an immoral practice. Charging people money because they have low funds, which brings them to an overdraft, and so on and so on. Before you know it, you owe the bank hundreds of dollars.

I hate it.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Those bankers have balls....and then to ask for a taxpayer bailout if their investments turn sour. I didn't read the original source story but it sounds like the kid had to write a check when he thought that he had a small balance when it fact it was not $5 overdraft after the fee....and then he bounced that check (multiple times and then maybe another fee for being overdrawn for an extended period of time but still....almost $235 in fees seems hard to believe.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
i'm sure the experience will put the kid in good stead for the future. best getting shafted in youth than in the golden years i suppose.
now for all those care-home residents in the uk who got shafted out of life savings by a worldwide bank whos' operatives convinced them all they required these investments only to realise the portfolio paper was worthless, i feel for you. a curse on all who had a hand in it.
f
edit on 12-12-2011 by fakedirt because: no d

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Probably because the rules are just plain ludicrous. I suppose if their "rules" said they could come and confiscate property from their insufficient funds customers you would feel the bank would be justified. Perhaps the banks could state in their "rules" that they will rape and pillage from their overdrafted customers it would be acceptable as well. What you don't get is that their so called rules are just downright thievery. If someone doesn't have enough money in their acct the bank should just close the account and send the person a check for the balance. But to charge that person a fee which in turn puts them into the negative which results in another fee is nothing short of criminal. It is people that agree with these ridiculous practices that are driving this country into the brink of collapse.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
if the banks are so good at scamming money out of people like this
why are they in debt?
oh cos they arent any good?
or cos no ones gots no moneys?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join