It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are leaving the USA ''in droves''

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
According to this article,
rt.com...

6.4 million Americans are working or studying abroad and this is the highest that number has been.

While the United States of America was at one point (and largely still is) a magnet for foreigners in search of work, the statistics makes it clear that an opposite trend is quickly picking up steam. "There's a feeling among more entrepreneurial Americans that if you really want to get anything done, you have to get out of country and away from the depressing atmosphere," Bob Adams of America Wave tells Reuters. “There's a sense of lost direction, so more people are looking for locations that offer more hope about the future." Many of those leaving the US have job skills that would transfer quite well in the American market. Instead, however, they chose to bring those out of the States, attracted instead to opportunities elsewhere.

(The following is my own opinion, NOT universal fact)
If I had the means, I'd pick up and move to Aussie or New Zealand. I'm so scared of America lately - and just a year ago, I was still trying to hold on to my American pride and love for this country. Sadly, til something gives, (and I win the lottery or something) I have to sit here terrified that tomorrow TSMHTF (TSmay hit TF) and man...... I bet if we're here when that does, we won't be able to leave. I can see that happening.

Of course I'm terrified of giant spiders which Aussie and NZ have in droves. >_> I don't need to have tons of plate sized spiders hanging out in my adobe. But I dunno. Maybe a phobia of spiders could outweigh if things get more sour here.

Just wanted to share this article with you all (and my luck, it's been posted already. Still though. It's newsworthy to me.)

And ps, THIS quote from the article REALLY irks me:

Banking giant Goldman Sachs announced earlier this year that in the wake of a recession, they would finally be creating 1,000 new positions, yet making them available only to workers in Singapore.

THANKS A LOT!!!!! REALLY. THANKS! /sarcasm
edit on 8-12-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well, I question anything from RT... but aside from that, here's hoping the article is accurate and the trend continues. As an American, I see this as being less rats, more cheese.

link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You know I was thinking about this the other day, and I concluded, if WW3 breaks out the USA is still probably going to be one of the safest places to be. No place will be safe now, but remember you have to be where there is still food and water available and civilized enough for help in medical care and such too.
It may be bad here but i think it is the safest bet.

link   

I just don't see the EXODUS out of America.
But if it is true, I welcome all that leave a happy goodbye and best wishes.
I think there is only one other real country where the citizens can arm themselves.
We the People here in the US are unique in our own twisted way, and if we get rid of some non gun owning folks, maybe we could get more in who wish to be free armed People.
For me, I'm staying, Game's not over yet, hell it's not even half time.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
all i know for sure is the fact that i'm going down with the ship.
going down fighting, but nonetheless going down.
i've traveled a good bit of the world and there is nowhere i'd rather live.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It IS true that we still have our arms and food and such, most assuredly. Many other Countries don't have that.
I think people are more leaving to follow the jobs? At least that's the over all gist I get and would be an educated guess as to /why/ people would leave. I mean, if the jobs are overseas now, and you have the means to get to them, why not? Have to survive somehow.

I just wish a middle man would be met and upheld. So everyone is happy. Breaks my heart how things are going and to think it can only get worse before/if it gets better is really stressful to say the least.

Starred those above me for yes, making full sense.

edit on 8-12-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Well, I question anything from RT... but aside from that, here's hoping the article is accurate and the trend continues. As an American, I see this as being less rats, more cheese.

It's all over Google though I'm NOT familiar with a lot of the sites hosting this story either.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
all i know for sure is the fact that i'm going down with the ship.
going down fighting, but nonetheless going down.
i've traveled a good bit of the world and there is nowhere i'd rather live.

Yep, I'll 2nd that!

If this ship sinks, I'm going down with it.

As much as I dislike where my country seems to be headed, there is no better place for me.

My brother wants to move out of the country though, so I don't think it's totally wrong. A lot of people do. Jessie Ventura lives in Mexico......

I'll just stay here and go down in flames if that is what is to come.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm a business student about to enter my last semester in college and I have been kicking this idea around in my head for a while. You see, in my state, small business owners are punished and entrepreneurs have tons of red tape put before them. Add tons of fees, licences, taxes, insurance, permits, etc. and its understandable why people want to leave in order to make their mark on the world.

When I visited a central American country this summer, I was blown away by the amount of mom and pop stores and with the ease of creating a start-up. This is because the American corporate mindset hasn't fully taken hold in other parts of the world allowing these types of places to compete.

This, coupled with the United States' impending financial doom, its clear to me that at least in my state that doing business is too prohibitive and that becoming an ex-pat makes good financial sense.

On another note, consumerism has grown old to me as it has to others. That is what makes the United States function but its not how all the world functions, yet. It was a breath of fresh air to stay with families that aren't trying to keep up with the Jones'. To like what you have and be content to work just as much as you need. Wow, it was refreshing and also has a huge pull for me to leave this country.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I've been daydreaming for years about leaving this country and never returning. When people talk about America, so often that tired old redneck phrase comes out: love it or leave it. It isn't that simple, though. Making an international move is an exceedingly complicated process--not to mention, extremely expensive.

Only the lucky...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Seems like those above don't get it. The rat race isn't universal. We don't have to slave ourselves to afford crap that we can't afford.

Yes, we still have some rights, but those are on the way out. The new Senate bill anyone?

Look, pride in my country (ethnocentrism) won't stop me from taking an objective view at where we are going.

It's all going to go to *snip*.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
ex-pats are common in quite a few countries.
mexico
thailand
costa rica
belize
etc....etc.......
some have become worse than here over the years and are making many rethink their decisions.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I agree, yet over the last few decades it has become clear that there is an agenda to destroy the
middle class and any resemblance of moral and ethical fibre that remains. Shareholders(leeches),
globalists,kickback politicians, some myopic, and some fully aware, have all contributed to the
destruction of the last true bastion of freedom. I'm am sure that Russia is reveling in this. Still
feeling the humility and bruises of the cold war, it is their quiet revenge. That the Russians are
still masters of propaganda and employing their age old techniques is clear.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Oh but other countries hate Americans especially poor ones looking for work in their country. Expect no handouts or small business loans like the US hands out to foreigners.

When shtf we will be looked upon like boat people.
edit on 8-12-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
NZ doesn't have huge spiders.

unless you're afraid of daddy long legs ?

The only larger sized spiders in nz , you will rarely see.
The avondale spider is quite wide spread, but likes to hide in dark, damp places.
Whereas the katapo (I think, only dangerous spider in nz) - I have lived here 30 years and never seen one .

Probably the most common one is the white tailed spider - which can leave a nasty infection if they bite you - but they're tiny and 100% avoidable

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

You know I was thinking about this the other day, and I concluded, if WW3 breaks out the USA is still probably going to be one of the safest places to be. No place will be safe now, but remember you have to be where there is still food and water available and civilized enough for help in medical care and such too.
It may be bad here but i think it is the safest bet.

Really? We have the best medical care? Are you sure?

31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 United States of America

38 Slovenia
39 Cuba
40 Brunei

List of Countries by Best Medical Care
World Health Organization

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Heres a chart that shows the cost of higher education around the world. Can't blame them for leaving.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I had often thought of going to Australia, back in my youth. I had heard back in the 70's, if a person wanted to become a citizen of Australia, you had to have enough monetary funds on hand, to be able to live for a year, without a job.

Maybe someone from Australia can give the correct info on this. If it was true, at that time I thought it was a good idea. It would keep out those that just want to go to another country, and take advantage of the system.

I quess I will stay here, like many others have stated.We just need to clean out the RATS and ROACHES that are destroying our country.

I agree wiith what JFK said......Ask not what your country can do for you.....Ask what you can do for your country.

If we could get rid of all the leeches, and all the criminals, that tear our system down, it would not be a very bad place to live....AGAIN

Start at the top, and work down. Criminal politicians should be imprisoned, and forced to do hard labor for the rest of their lives.

Allow no Lawyers to run for political office. That in itself would solve a lot of our problems.

You know why Lawyers are buried 10 feet deep, instead of the normal six feet?

Because..Deep down...they are really good.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Many people leave the United States, about 3 million per year emigrate to somewhere else (most to Canada) however the vast majority do so for business or study purposes. The number of people that actually "renounce" their citizenship however is very low.. Usually it's only around a few hundred people per year, and that only kicked up since the Depression began because most people don't know but; you pay US taxes when you emigrate.

Let's say I move to Great Britain, I still have to pay USA taxes as well as British taxes. Most people to become expats do so for business, and usually it's a high paying job so it's not the end of the World .. since the Depression began people are finding it harder to pay two nations taxes. "Renouncing" is one of the only ways to end the US taxation, and you have to have legal status in the host country, but it also means if you ever decide to move back to the US you need to apply for citizenship .. it also means you cannot stay within US borders for more than 6 weeks a year and you have to apply for a visa.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
News flash, other countries don't want you unless you have something to offer.

So either you already are a successful business owner or you have skills they need.

Think about it. If you can't make it here, then they don't want you anywhere else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join