It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bi - Polar and 15 little questions.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by princessgrey

if you actually believe these poison pill pushers can help you, then you actually do have a mental illness. U2U me if you would like to know more.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

They must put in a diagnostic code for the insurance to pay and Bipolar seems to be the "umbrella" diagnosis these days.
That second medicine you listed sounds like the generic name for a medication called Seroquel. Beside heavy weight gain it also causes you to be very tired.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hi Princess, the fact that you started such an honest and revealing thread shows that you are very aware of what is happening and you are very aware of your mental state. if you are concerned that your doctor is merely substituting one set of (government approved ) drugs for another (personally chosen) variety you should certainly bring your concerns to a second opinion.

You said that you have been seeing your doctor for three months and your mother is involved in your rehab (which is great) so I don't believe that your doctor just plucked your medication out of the air based on a question sheet. Please consider the possibility that the doctor used these questions to merely reinforce decisions that they came to over the preceding months. I am curious to know what your drug addiction was to ( don't answer this on a public forum) but it will hold the key to the piece in your puzzle.

I wish you all the best and know what you are talking about, use the (new drugs) to create a space in your mind and life to evaluate your life and existence and find the middle path through your journey on this crazy planet of ours. Your awareness is a huge advantage to you.

Good luck and take care.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by princessgrey
reply to post by unityemissions

I'll see what I can do about getting you a prescription.

I already got all the meds I need.

Some cookies, awesome friends, and bad ass tunes:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

See....this is what I meant though about only a PIECE of the diagnoses. It takes a real person to put it all into context. And in many cases a family physician has had a surprisingly small amount of actual training in psychiatry. I'm still very surprised you weren't referred out.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. Personally the number one issue I believe is mercury and heavy metal poisoning. The reason for this is simple, heavy metals can travel round the body and becomw lodged in the brain. Since the brain works on electrical impulses, and metal and electrics, short circuit, well you get the idea.

What I would personally do, but this is up to you and may take a little dedication on your part.

1. Go on a metal detox, get rid of any mercury fillings and any way metal can get into your body.
2. Never drink tap water, buy bottled.
3. Don't give up your drugs (yet) detoxify of any metals first.
4. Once you are sure you have detoxyfied your body of any heavy metals then slowly reduce your drugs over a fair period, say three or four months.

You can find information on the web about removing heavy metals fromthe body. And when you start redusing your drug dose, definatley take paracetamol and if you can get it, take 50mg of dyhydracodine three times a day. I was addicted to oxycodone, I was on it for a long time after I had to have two major operations. Believe it or not, the paracetamol got rid of my headaches and the dyhydracodine (slow release) helped with my shakes and DTs and muscle spasms/aches

Hope this helps, and good luck friend on your journey.

edit on 8-12-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typo

edit on 8-12-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typos

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Lamo...is a mood stabilizer. It's specifically for BP. The other one is an anti-psych. that is mostly used to help people sleep at night, or if they're agitated during the day, it can be used to calm them during the day. It usually makes people sleepy, though.

You'd be a lot better off by being very selective with what you eat, and what you do. It would require a major change. I doubt most people would even bother with it if they were told what would help, so I won't share it here. If you message me, I'll share with you. It requires work and effort on your part, dedication and self-control, but it can be done and will help more than any "treatments" they offer you. I've seen so many people go to rehab and then be fed the exact wrong junk, which only perpetuates their addiction and mental problems.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Was it a regular general practitioner?

It sure sounds like it. They don't usually have the experience to deal with issues like this, which is why you were greeted with a questionaire.

If at all possible, I would encourage you to see a Doctor who will spend time with you and help determine any diagnoses, instead of this lazy thing they call a diagnoses.

Also, any history with drugs could easily explain erratic behavior. But I have doubts you are a drug addict, mothers sometimes assume things. A lot of things.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I must say that Psychology is way too confident for what it really knows, especially American Psychology which tries to label people very quickly and put a bundle of symptoms into a disorder, kind of like judging the book by the cover and it's really bad when they do it with people.

Just an example of how bad the situation is... Many Kids are being diagnosed with ADHD, but they are just kids, they want to run and enjoy themselves, not sitting quietly for 7 hours staring at the teacher preaching about some boring stuff... And failure to comply earns these poor kids an unpleasant title.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If you have been addicted to drugs and alcohol for awhile, you might appear to be bi-polar. Those questions could point to many issues. I doubt that a general practitioner took the time and trouble to ferret out what is addict behavior and what is normal for you when you are not boozed or doped.

Obviously something is bothering you, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to self-medicate.

Did the doctor made the differentiation between Bipolar I and II? Probably not.

Anti-psychotics are mind-deadening, and not to be taken lightly. Like the other posters have suggested, if at all possible, go to a psychiatrist for a second opinion.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Depends on the questions, but it could be possible to do so. I have my doubts, of course.

If anything, you could probably do a toxicology scan and sue your doctor for setting you up for future problems.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by princessgrey
reply to post by cantsee4looking

I can't remember all of them and obviously not the correct wording but here's the best I can do:

1. Are you hyper for long periods of time?
2. Do you go on shopping sprees?
3. Do you call or visit people at inappropriate times of the night?
4. Have you been unable to hold a job, family problems or trouble with the law?
5. Do you do things that others would consider strange or 'not normal'?
6. Do you have trouble sleeping - but feel hyper and full of energy in the morning?
7. Do you have occasional times of feeling extremely self confident?
8. To the questions you've answered yes to - have you had more than one occur at the same time?
9. Does anyone in your family suffer from manic depressive, depression or other mental illnesses?

Sorry, I can't remember anymore - if I do, I'll post them.

All of these things seem like I can connect them to other 'illnesses' or just being 24 years old - why do these things automatically get me two prescriptions - no 'real' questions asked?
edit on 8-12-2011 by princessgrey because: (no reason given)

This looks like a list of symptoms of bi polar. Did they ask about feeling hyper sexed? Anyway, can't say much about your meds as I am not familiar with them.

Actually, I finally acknowledged I was bi-polar when I read a pamphlet that asked these questions and my check marks consistently were in the "yes" category. I went 4 years without an accurate diagnosis. Back in the old days they didn't think the illness to be as prevalent as they now know it is.

Read up a bit on your meds, and know as best you can what the pills are meant to be doing so you will be able to note whether or not you are making progress.

A young friend of mine has been having great success treating her bi polar with just an over-the-counter pill called 5HTP. I would not recommend getting off your meds without advice. Too many people spiral to suicide because they think they feel fine (a sign the meds are working) so they quit taking them. What is just as tragic is not getting meds because you have no money $$$$. My brother lost a good friend when he switched to Fish Oil trying to go cheap, and killed himself about this time last year.

Being bi polar isn't unbearable. I had the pleasure of raising two decent young men. Living through a rotten marriage didn't make it any easier. It's like riding a roller coaster of moods and emotions. Being proactive and positive about it helps

Sometimes smoking pot can trigger bi polar. It happened to me and I've read other people who said that was their trigger also.

Kind regards and best wishes.

edit on 12/8/2011 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I do not believe that there is a such thing as Mental illness (that they can diagnose) like that they just want people to be more docile and brainwashed drones.I have been a addict most of my life but the best thing for me is to ween down and stay the hell away from doctors most above all!!! good luck my friend

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Shouldn't she have referred me to a psychiatrist? By filling out 15 questions you can tell I'm Bi-Polar!?

I would DEFINITELY recommend you see a psychiatrist. Don't ask to be recommended. Ask your family doctor for a psychiatrist, she'll give you some names, and go see one.

These idiots don't realize how serious these drugs can be. If you need it, fine, let a psychiatrist help you. Anyone but a trained psychiatrist will blunder in treating you.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I do believe that symptoms for any condition
is relevant for a diagnosis whether it be
medical or psychiatric. Of course more
should be done than just giving out
medications.

I found a link with questions regarding
depression, bi-polar condition.

www.dbsalliance.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Sounds more like meds are being pushed on you. Obtain more opinions on this. In the US, as far as I know, 15 questions alone cannot diagnose Di-Polar Disorder, at least that's how it went when I was helping a family member with a Dr. visits. As the mental disorder in question is said hard to dx. You'd think it'd be similar in Canada...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Princess, if you really are bi-polar, you need to know that this condition is heritable.
There are degrees of it; some not easily detectable, some very obvious.
Someone else in your family has it. Parents or grandparents.
Remember this if you ever decide to have children.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Dear God in heaven! You should NOT be taking these things without supervision by a PSYCHIATRIST (not a freaking psychologist).

I do hope you'll seek help from a qualified psych, so that you will know. Drug use / alcoholism are very common for bipolar. I wish you the best.

Please don't just start taking this crap without seeking better help. And fire that damn doctor, STAT.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Certainly this psychologists encourages you to get a 2nd opinion and preferably from someone who will do a decent in-take interview with some heart, respect and caring vs merely a pencil and paper screening instrument.

Questionnaires can be useful as initial screening instruments to save some time. However, I consider them merely a starting point--not an absolutely certain final sentence.

I also have a fierce bias against factory level 10 min visits to psychiatrists or anyone else and then dispensing of chemical straight jackets at high fee prices to insurance companies and individuals.

There are some stereo-typical clues to bi-polar, certainly. However . . . I deplore treating people as objects based on a questionnaire. Individuals are a precious Creation, imho, and NOT equal to a rat, a radish a pigeon or a rock as the powers that be decree.

I would also suggest that for some bi-polar folks, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be of significant value.

And clearly--when changing dose etc. of any of the modern anti-depressants etc. . . . INSURE that you are in quality relationships who are monitoring your welfare face to face fairly constantly until the new chemical situation has leveled out over a few weeks to a month or so, imho.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

My initial comment would be that being that you have issues with drugs and alcohol maybe your psychological disturbances were caused by the ingestion of these substances and perhaps you should see how you feel without the medication and without the drugs and alcohol. However, if you were feeling emotionally or in any other way off balance and as a result turned to those to self medicate maybe you should seek another place to seek treatment.

There are some practices that will not proscribe you medication unless you are seeing a counselor, that way they have an analysis of a psychologist and psychiatrist thus a more complete view of what you are really dealing with. Honestly if you see any psychiatrist and they speak with you for less than a half hour and are using some sort of checklist, RUN!!!! But there are real medical professionals that want to help you heal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join