It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17% of Atheist/Agnostic Scientists Still Attend Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Church goers, BEWARE! That might be an Atheist you're standing next to.

Atheists go to church?

A new study out of Rice University has found that 17 percent -- about one out of five scientists who describe themselves as either atheists or agnostics -- actually go to church, although not too often, and not because they feel a spiritual yearning to join the faithful.

More likely, it's because of the kids.

I thought this was a good article, as it dispels the notion that Atheists/Agnostics are cold, morally ambiguous people.

Doing it for the kids is a great reason to go, as long as they don't get too close to the preachers

I wonder why Atheists/Agnostics don't come up with their own place to gather together as a community, similar to church.

While becoming an A/A is a choice someone makes to identify themselves later in life, I think it is disingenuous to mold a kid into that mentality before they can really decide for themselves. I'm sure they do have questions, and the parents could fall short of answering them.

edit on 7-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nothing beats hedging your bets!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
They are spy's

Beware

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I wonder why Atheists/Agnostics don't come up with their own place to gather together as a community, similar to church.

Some do. Some meet weekly.

I think it is disingenuous to mold a kid into that mentality before they can really decide for themselves.

Is is disingenuous to mold a child into a religion mentality and the belief in God? Because I'm still a little pissed at my parents for that one... Why not just let the child be free to discover whether or not religion is something he's interested in?

Parents 'fall short' on answering a lot of kids' questions.
There is no handbook.
edit on 12/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'd honestly be curious to know how many of those atheists who attended church were actually the ones leading the service.
And I'm not trying to be a smartass either. I really would like to know how many priests/preachers or whatever have lost their faith, yet continue in their current profession.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Church goers, BEWARE! That might be an Atheist you're standing next to.

Hopefully there are murders, thieves, strippers, prostitutes, sex addicts, alcoholics, and homosexuals that attend too. I'm there so they'll let anyone in I'm sure.

The church wasn't meant to be a country club for Christians.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

You'd be surprised... I was...Preachers Who are NOT Believers

“Oh, you can’t go through seminary and come out believing in God!”

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Some do. Some meet weekly.

Really? Is there a name for the place of gatherings, or is it not really formal enough to have one?

I think it is disingenuous to mold a kid into that mentality before they can really decide for themselves.

Is is disingenuous to mold a child into a religion mentality and the belief in God? Because I'm still a little pissed at my parents for that one... Why not just let the child be free to discover whether or not religion is something he's interested in?

It's definitely disingenuous if a parent feels they can't demonstrate both sides of the argument and don't provide an alternative view. If I was that kid, I'd say "Hell No!", but at least I got to experience it, and have an idea of what church is about.

Parents 'fall short' on answering a lot of kids' questions.
There is no handbook.
edit on 12/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Yeah, maybe parents shouldn't be answering kids questions because no one wrote a book about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that thread before. It really doesn't surprise me. That's why I was wondering.
I wonder how many more in the pews or on stage don't believe either though and just don't admit it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Really? Is there a name for the place of gatherings, or is it not really formal enough to have one?

First Church of Atheism and Many have informal meetings.

It's definitely disingenuous if a parent feels they can't demonstrate both sides of the argument and don't provide an alternative view.

So, religious households should inform their children of the atheist's views and the possibility that religion is a bunch of bunk? Do you think religious households present atheism to their children as an alternative?

I got to experience it, and have an idea of what church is about.

So did I. But they never mentioned an alternative. It was made very clear that entertaining an alternative was a SIN... Did your parents teach you about atheism?

Yeah, maybe parents shouldn't be answering kids questions because no one wrote a book about it.

My point is that parents answer all questions to the best of their ability. What makes you think atheistic parents wouldn't have the information about religion? Most of us know a LOT about religion and that's why we're atheists.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am Atheist. I was raised in a Power of Positive Thought Spiritual church.

It is a church you can be anything you want. You can be a devout God believer or a non-believer.

How many churches do you know that have a UFO group?

Anyway - - it is the church I took my kids to - - and the church my grandkids go to - - occasionally. It certainly isn't a required weekly ritual.

I am not going to teach them non-believe - - anymore then I am going to teach them belief.

It is their journey. Everyone must travel their own road.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Wow, I wonder if that place is tax exempt.

So, religious households should inform their children of the atheist's views and the possibility that religion is a bunch of bunk? Do you think religious households present atheism to their children as an alternative?

Seeing as they will encounter it eventually, yes. Better to learn in a safe environment!

So did I. But they never mentioned an alternative. It was made very clear that entertaining an alternative was a SIN... Did your parents teach you about atheism?

Nope, I battled with my feelings for awhile before I was opened to the idea that they were full of it.

My point is that parents answer all questions to the best of their ability. What makes you think atheistic parents wouldn't have the information about religion? Most of us know a LOT about religion and that's why we're atheists.

It goes both ways, my religious parents didn't tell me anything about atheism, and I'm betting atheist parents aren't telling all there is to know about religion. My experience is based on going to church, but the church was pretty lousy. If I went to a better one, maybe my feelings would have been different.

I feel there is sense of community that church gives to people, no matter what the message is, and that could be beneficial to kids. There are things that kids can do and be exposed to that they might not get from their family because they are small family and don't know many people. At least kids that go to church have the opportunity for that.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I am Atheist. I was raised in a Power of Positive Thought Spiritual church.

It is a church you can be anything you want. You can be a devout God believer or a non-believer.

How many churches do you know that have a UFO group?

Anyway - - it is the church I took my kids to - - and the church my grandkids go to - - occasionally. It certainly isn't a required weekly ritual.

I am not going to teach them non-believe - - anymore then I am going to teach them belief.

It is their journey. Everyone must travel their own road.

I like the idea of atheist churches, but they aren't exactly available for everyone. Most places don't even have a building they go to, while not really necessary, it's really a better place to conduct services.

BH's link for the atheist church got me wondering whether there is a movement that wants to allow Atheism to become a religion.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I like the idea of atheist churches, but they aren't exactly available for everyone. Most places don't even have a building they go to, while not really necessary, it really a better place to conduct services.

Atheism is not a religion. Lack of belief does not equal belief.

Not all Atheists support an Atheist church. Many are vehemently opposed to it.

There are Atheist groups - - which you can research on the Internet for your area.

Atheists are individuals - - - they are not a "group thought" as in a religion. Basically they have only one thing in common - - lack of belief in a deity.

I support American Atheists - - - who's main agenda is keeping religion out of government. www.atheists.org...

There is also Secular Humanism - - - www.secularhumanism.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I've never seen these places only references to them in old literature. I don't believe they exist.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

I've never seen these places only references to them in old literature. I don't believe they exist.

The church exists online only - - as far as I know.

Groups are organized individually. They might have a link to individual organized groups - - I'm not sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

But don't you kind of "want to believe" that they do?

I know some atheists have transferred their belief system (the one they learned growing up) into a sort of pseudo-religion, based on atheism, where they meet and discuss evolution, science, read books and watch Dawkins and Hitchens videos...
That involves a lot more than atheism (the simple lack of belief in a deity) and is, in my mind, just another set of dogma they have attached themselves to.

When I became an atheist, I let go of all the underpinnings of religion. I have never felt the need or desire to meet with people who agree with me on a single issue. But I understand it. "Fellowship", regardless the subject, has it's attraction and benefits.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

When I became an atheist, I let go of all the underpinnings of religion. I have never felt the need or desire to meet with people who agree with me on a single issue. But I understand it. "Fellowship", regardless the subject, has it's attraction and benefits.

Neither have I. Nor have I pursued any Atheist literature or listened to Dawkins.

While I personally do have a belief (based in a belief/reality) - - and that there is much more going on then what we see or are told - - I don't fool myself into thinking it is anything beyond my own personal opinion/belief.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

I was thinking that too. How plausible would it for someone claiming to be an atheist preacher wanting to gather donations for the building of a place to gather, but just do whatever they wanted with the proceeds? Especially if you're in the middle of nowhere, you could pay people you knew to show up and put on a show that it's about the atheist community, when it's actually about their pockets. If it's over the internet, it's that much easier!

Hmm, interesting...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I was thinking that too. How plausible would it for someone claiming to be an atheist preacher wanting to gather donations for the building of a place to gather, but just do whatever they wanted with the proceeds? Especially if you're in the middle of nowhere, you could pay people you knew to show up and put on a show that it's about the atheist community, when it's actually about their pockets. If it's over the internet, it's that much easier!

Hmm, interesting...

Oh God!

Not the Atheists have no morals because they don't believe in God rant again (at least that is my interpretation of your post).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join