It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17% of Atheist/Agnostic Scientists Still Attend Church

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by satron
I was thinking that too. How plausible would it for someone claiming to be an atheist preacher wanting to gather donations for the building of a place to gather, but just do whatever they wanted with the proceeds? Especially if you're in the middle of nowhere, you could pay people you knew to show up and put on a show that it's about the atheist community, when it's actually about their pockets. If it's over the internet, it's that much easier!

Hmm, interesting...

Oh God!

Not the Atheists have no morals because they don't believe in God rant again (at least that is my interpretation of your post).

Not what I was saying at all, Atheists have as much potential to take advantage of someone as a Theist.
edit on 7-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Not what I was saying at all, Atheists have as much potential to take advantage of someone as a Theist.

OK - - but that's how it came across.

Opportunists come in all walks of life - - believers - non-believers - - - or completely unaffiliated with anything or anyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
In the original sense of concept, "church" was about community. The religion was a sort of background for the concept of "fellowship".

Nowadays it's more about the collection plate than anything else, IMO (mostly) so if athiests want to tithe (provide to local charity) and participate in their local communities, it makes sense for them to attend.

All that aside, in our modern world, it's all about networking. Churches serve that function as well.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Beats Facebook.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually the bible is the handbook for raising children. I could not be a good father if not for God in my life.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually the bible is the handbook for raising children. I could not be a good father if not for God in my life.

Sorry.

But that is pathetic.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
That would be nothing new. in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd centuries men following the cult of Sol Invictus pretended to be Christian then they just combined it all together. Go study that one!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join