It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

We will be waiting
I just checked the met office site for Tuesday and they are showing lots of low pressure similar to what happened yesterday, no warnings as of yet. We all know now that they wait until they're really sure.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

@RumET , I'm afraid you'll have to come on a holiday to the UK if bad weather is what you're after

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hi all,

Hope you all got through unscathed and got to enjoy the show. Thoughts to those that perished and their families.

I finally thought that i may get to see one of my wishes last night - a flying nanny ala Mary poppins. Sadly though, this wasn't to be

Did anyone see anything that made them all
?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Hi all,

Hope you all got through unscathed and got to enjoy the show. Thoughts to those that perished and their families.

I finally thought that i may get to see one of my wishes last night - a flying nanny ala Mary poppins. Sadly though, this wasn't to be

Did anyone see anything that made them all
?

I saw my brand new 6 foot fence that i built last week be torn down when the neighbours trampoline ploughed into it and landed in my garden.

Didnt really have the
look, had the
look

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Oooh that is really annoying. I can just imagine the curses aimed in your neighbours direction (clearly their fault rather than the wind!).

Thankfully for my daughter (honest), her trampoline escaped unscathed. Just my recycling that was lost - and i actually mean just mine. I was getting some dirty looks from the neighbours this morning as i was rushing out of the door!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
An update for Monday the 12th and Tuesday the 13th; The met office have issued a yellow, 'be aware' weather warning to The UK, it's currently covering from Manchester, N.Ireland to the south west.

no doubt it will change as we get nearer the time.....

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

"Issued at - 09 Dec 2011, 11:31
Valid from - 12 Dec 2011, 18:00
Valid to - 13 Dec 2011, 18:00

Western and southern areas of the UK are at greatest risk of very windy weather on Monday evening and during Tuesday which could lead to disruption. At this stage there is a good deal of uncertainty and the public are advised to monitor forecasts over the weekend to keep up to date with this warning.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: www.metoffice.gov.uk... "

edit on 9-12-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: Edit to add warning. couldn't put it in proper "quote" format for some reason.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
An update for Monday the 12th and Tuesday the 13th; The met office have issued a yellow, 'be aware' weather warning to The UK, it's currently covering from Manchester, N.Ireland to the south west.

no doubt it will change as we get nearer the time.....

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

"Issued at - 09 Dec 2011, 11:31
Valid from - 12 Dec 2011, 18:00
Valid to - 13 Dec 2011, 18:00

Western and southern areas of the UK are at greatest risk of very windy weather on Monday evening and during Tuesday which could lead to disruption. At this stage there is a good deal of uncertainty and the public are advised to monitor forecasts over the weekend to keep up to date with this warning.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: www.metoffice.gov.uk... "

edit on 9-12-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: Edit to add warning. couldn't put it in proper "quote" format for some reason.

Now this confuses me...for a couple of reasons.

1. It is still far to far out to put this warning in place, especially for a particular area
2. Most of these mid-latitude extratropical cyclones are progressing further north than the models suggest, and this storm will probably do this too.

I think i need to go talk to some people in the know...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Maybe I'm confused or maybe I'm just biased considering where I live. But are people in a panic over extremely high winds and snow in the winter? Seriously? Maybe I'm missing something, but the reactions seem a bit out there and extreme to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

So wind speeds of up to 165 MPH don't warrant some discussion?

As it out of the day to day norm here, i would say, on the contrary, that it deserves some attention. Maybe it is just me though?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

reply to post by MaMaa

As it out of the day to day norm here, i would say, on the contrary, that it deserves some attention. Maybe it is just me though?

I didn't say it didn't warrant some discussion, heck I sat discussing the very unusual fog we had this morning with friends. LOL Just saying some of the responses seemed extreme like how you see the media act over storms. "WIND 2011.." complete with scary music!
Being that I live in Colorado Rocky Mountains I am often surprised how people panic and lose their wits when anything out of the usual happens. Knowing how to stay calm, take proper precautions and use common sense does a world of good! I have gone up north into Wyoming and seen cars that have been blown over and off the highways due to high winds. You just know that if the winds are that bad, you don't go out.

edit on 9-12-2011 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Get your point, would point out though that nearly all the posts are form fellow Brits - we never take anything seriously unless it affects our beer or bacon butties - fact! If Denmark is ever in trouble, the entire British Isles would be decamping to safeguard our bacon supplies!

Point im making is most of these posts have been very tongue in cheek. This may not have been picked up on by those not from these lands as we do have a strange sense of humour at times.

By the way, love the pic in the link

edit on 9-12-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Ahh ok, I have to admit I am still trying to wrap my head around the English and their humoUr. LOL I have a friend from England and aside from her extreme creepy home decorating (clowns everywhere, statue of charlie chaplin and obsession with clocks) she is wonderful and funny. Whenever I actually understand when she is trying to be funny that is.

mmmmm beer and bacon!!! Although I'm not a fan of English bacon, that's back bacon isn't it? American bacon is from the belly.. streaky bacon I think I heard my friend from England call it. Now I'd take up arms to protect my beer! LOL We have so many local beers here in Colorado, that would be the one hard part of moving away from here. (I plan to move somewhere warmer when my kids are grown). We went down to New Orleans and their choices of beer was dismal, absolutely dismal!

PS. Glad to hear you brits don't take much seriously. I never quite know who is going to be ultra sensitive and get their feelers all hurt because I forget to put the right damned smilies into my posts.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

reply to post by MaMaa

I didn't say it didn't warrant some discussion, heck I sat discussing the very unusual fog we had this morning with friends. LOL Just saying some of the responses seemed extreme like how you see the media act over storms. "WIND 2011.." complete with scary music!
Being that I live in Colorado Rocky Mountains I am often surprised how people panic and lose their wits when anything out of the usual happens. Knowing how to stay calm, take proper precautions and use common sense does a world of good! I have gone up north into Wyoming and seen cars that have been blown over and off the highways due to high winds. You just know that if the winds are that bad, you don't go out.

That was the whole point of this thread, the winds were strong enough to blow over cars and trucks. If you check the news you'll see that this happened and that in the North of England and some areas of Scotland people were advised to stay indoors. Schools and roads were closed etc.

The rest of us in the UK that didn't get the worst of it were just keeping up to date in case anything changed and generally having a good old chinwag about the weather. We weren't really panicking, that's reserved for 2012 and the coming Zombie apocalypse alien invasion.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Aahhhhh Zombie Apocalypse! Run for the hills........hang on, it is really windy up on the hills.......

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We in UK just love to talk about the weather!
But to be fair these were hurricane force winds we were dealing with.
Glad I'm retired. Those warnings about 'don't go out unless you have to' don't cut much ice with your employer - especially if it is not yet serious at your end. Nor is it much use when you have to check on your elderly mum.
On the other hand, those who ignore warnings and decide to have a potter about in the car just because they fancy it, deserve what they get.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

That was the whole point of this thread, the winds were strong enough to blow over cars and trucks. If you check the news you'll see that this happened and that in the North of England and some areas of Scotland people were advised to stay indoors. Schools and roads were closed etc.

The rest of us in the UK that didn't get the worst of it were just keeping up to date in case anything changed and generally having a good old chinwag about the weather. We weren't really panicking, that's reserved for 2012 and the coming Zombie apocalypse alien invasion.

Wouldn't common sense tell you if it's that windy that you should just not go out in it for your car to be blown over in? I apologize, I have gotten so used to most Americans that the replies seemed very much in a panic, my mistake, I misunderstood. (As I often do the English LOL)

Speaking of the coming Zombie Apocalypse alien invasion, I once heard my four boys sitting and discussing what they would do if that were to happen. Good lord, the 14 year old wants a gun.. apparently he had not heard about hell freezing over! They have also decided that Walmart would be the best place to camp out, but clearly they underestimate how vulnerably they would be in such a large space like walmart... boys, I swear they just don't think these things through!

On a more serious note, it is normal for us to have closed roads because of the winter weather. High winds, snow, blowing snow, ice, ect.. I don't go up to Wyoming in the winter, which is less than an hour away, but in the winter you could very well get stuck up in that God forsaken place! (sorry wyomingites) Many times my family would head up there only to have them close the roads going back and be stuck in some podunk little wyoming town for the night. You just hoped and prayed that the sun would warm things enough to be let back through. We have mountain passes that close in the early fall because of the snow/weather/ect... Trail Ridge for example and these mountain passes have snow year round! I was up there in August and there was snow! It's time for me to move south.. this winter stuff sucks!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Aahhhhh Zombie Apocalypse! Run for the hills........hang on, it is really windy up on the hills.......

Yeah, if the weathers stays as bad as it has been, i'll probably just stay trapped with the Zombies and become one of them . I don't think the undead feel the cold.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
We in UK just love to talk about the weather!
But to be fair these were hurricane force winds we were dealing with.
Glad I'm retired. Those warnings about 'don't go out unless you have to' don't cut much ice with your employer - especially if it is not yet serious at your end. Nor is it much use when you have to check on your elderly mum.
On the other hand, those who ignore warnings and decide to have a potter about in the car just because they fancy it, deserve what they get.

I concede your point, I forget that most of the rest of the world does not have employers like they are here in Colorado. In my area anyway, if you call in and say "hey there are hurricane force winds, I can't get out" they understand because they know it is headed their way. Often times they thank you and take it as the warning that it is because they know it WILL head their way.

I say that we hire out people in Wyoming to teach people how to drive in extreme wind conditions, they are more used to it than most of us! LOL

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

That's one thing about the UK, people will still try to get to work and their bosses won't be sympathetic. I agree common sense should tell you that you probably shouldn't go out but some people seem to be lacking in it!

As for the zombiepocalypse I was planning to go to Walmart just like your boys......maybe just to get some supplies, honest

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Im frankly jealous that you are from part of the world that gets proper winter. It is not fair. I have had a lovely gloating email today from my exceedingly wealthy Californian aunt - she is going to an island she has up in Washington state for christmas. It isn't fair! I've wished her a hot and humid christmas!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You're telling me - our firm is in York area, floods all the time round here. We are in a little village on the outskirts and every time the river rises, we risk been cut off. I've lost count of the amount of times that we have to drive over a flooded bridge to get home - it is quite a giggle though when you can't see the surface you are driving on so always worth the hassle!

Last year was excellent - the boss was in Libya, i'd come back to loads of snow. because the village is out of the way, the roads are never treated so you can have literally several inches of ice covering the road every day in winter (i've lost to the ditch before). It got so bad here last year that we were cut off and had to dig our way home - the boss then promptly bollocked us all via skype for leaving early! (from the heat of his office in Benghazi).

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26 >>

join