It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Low level gusts have exceeded 100mph in a number of places (for example, a station on the south side of the Tay road bridge recorded 102mph whilst a private station on the north end of Lewis in the Hebrides recorded 101mph - I will be very surprised of some places haven't recorded higher). I don't have any confirmed figures for sustained wind speeds but I would expect them to be equivalent to a Cat1 or possibly Cat2 hurricane. This is one of the worst storms to have hit Britain - especially lowland areas - in many years and maximum gusts on Cairngorm have been only just below the strongest ever recorded in Britain.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop
We're a few mph away from reporting the fastest winds in recorded history, but don't worry folks because some Yank from Texas(an oxymoron, I know) has seen worse in his part of the world

Maybe we all mock Texas next time they have a drought and people suffer, by laughing it off and pointing to countries that have it worse on a yearly basis

If America was rigged with nukes and I had a big red button that place wouldn't be safe, i'd be reaching for it every time I come on ATS and read this blatant Yankery
edit on 8-12-2011 by JessopJessopJessop because: (no reason given)

Well then, let’s be glad you don't have a big red button. In the world of absurd I know you’re the master, but in reality you’re just another idiot typing on a forum. Yours truly Yanky, misspelled*

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The piccies coming through from the news show that this is an extraordinary wind.

We don't block off roads in the UK (Scotland) because of fear of falling tiles in the high street. We don't see piccies on the news with garage roofs blown off.

Interestingly, this is one of the few doom and gloom predictions with (fair enough) good science to back it up that actually turned out worse than the prediction

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Yanky, I am and wear it proudly thank you... Btw my house is brick in fact America is the country leading Meteorology and public safety. .

Yep...that's why the only thing left standing down hurricane alley is the chimneys that you have built out of stone!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The storm was meant to peak in the evening over Scotland but in the Northern England, we seem to be getting a second wind (at 21:00) hours

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Stop it! I'm spilling my drink!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Yanky, I am and wear it proudly thank you... Btw my house is brick in fact America is the country leading Meteorology and public safety. .

Yep...that's why the only thing left standing down hurricane alley is the chimneys that you have built out of stone!

Rainbows
Jane

WTF is up with people. My brothers and sisters in the royal land are sadly incapable of letting a yank out smart you. I’m not sure whether I should believe you based on your refined language or rather your refined ignorance. Please inform me

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by woogleuk

I was just trying to inform you that your house isn’t about be torn to pieces and your dogs caught in an updraft.

You missed the bit about the building collapse and couple of roofs then?

Oh, and the dog?....no it was a cat...and yes it's perfectly fine.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier81
Carnage here in Glasgow

The best reply of the year!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Sorry, I have no idea what accent that was supposed to be, but it was definitely no Scots'.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Rainbows
Jane

WTF is up with people. My brothers and sisters in the royal land are sadly incapable of letting a yank out smart you. I’m not sure whether I should believe you based on your refined language or rather your refined ignorance. Please inform me

Why are you in all threads on ATS derailing them and making everything about you, your family or where you are. Nobody cares. I know people respond to you, but it's only because you're annoying and borderline offensive.

Let us discuss the weather without your life story

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jibbs

Like your style - it's all kicking off in Glasgow

Has the wind calmed at all over Scotland?

edit on 8-12-2011 by templar knight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Are you seriously giving me the wind speed at the top of a mountain, are you an ignoramus or a troll? Do you realize that mountain wind speeds are not a comparison in valley or lower elevation? Mountain wind speeds will always be higher would you like me to explain the multiple reasons why? First the elevation alone puts them closer to the jet stream. Next the mountains create there own climate as warmer valley air rises against colder mountain air. I cannot believe you’re using summit winds as a source, which would be like me saying I have 60mph winds in Texas but in Colorado they are approaching 100mph as if you can even compare? Apples and oranges.

Lets just clarify something here. The recorded max wind speed, be it a gust or not over mainland UK so far from this storm is 165mph. Yes this is at elevation (approx 1230m), however there has been gusts of over 100mph at sea level on the west coast.

The mountains in Scotland are no where near the Jet Stream, nor are the majority in the world so using that as a reson is non-sense. The winds gather this speed in Scotland because there is nothing higher from the East of the US to Norway to disrupt the speed. (a distance of about 7000km give or take).

Weather like this is fairly common in NW Europe but bear in mind that this wind speed pf 165mph is only 8mph slower than the UK record and only 66mph slower than the world record 231mph. So as far as it goes, this is a major storm.

edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by RumET

yeah this is not a cat 5 hurricane. im sorry but katrina did not just form over europe. GUST AS HIGH AS 75mph not 165 please provide your source. As ill glady show you model forecast and output.

There she/he goes again....anybody got the link to BBC news at least?
Where's Mr Mcleod disappeared to? Hope he's ok and not one of the 50,000 without power?

Rainbows
Jane

I'm fine Jane, had to put the little one to sleep. He's only 2 and a bit scared of the wind, and the fact that the house is shaking slightly (even though its made out of stone).

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

edit on 8-12-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Yes, and for comparison, the highest wind speed recorded on Cairngorm was 173mph - not much higher - (the highest ever recorded in the British Isles) - so this storm has been very close to the strongest ever.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Welcome back!
I was getting worried after your last post said your lights were flickering!
Unless you are sat on a bike generating your own leccy for the computer!

Rainbows
Jane

Ahhh the wee bairn!
edit on 8-12-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Northwest England here. VERY windy but nothing I can't deal with - I remember having to put up a tent a few years ago in the lake district in similar weather. Fun.

But I do feel for the Scots, hope you're all dealing with it. You're a tough bunch - wishing you all well.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just to inform you all, although this storm will be dying down within the next few hours as it pushes into the North Sea, there is a favourable possibility of an even more severe storm next week. The models proposed a date of around the 18th December but it looks like we have agreement between a few of the models that the 13th or there about could provide the UK with one of, if not the most severe storm in recent decades.

The projected central pressure could be lower than 945mb, which is only 15mb higher than the UK record set in 1884. This storm, if it verifies will be worse than what we are going through and will pose a far greater risk to life.

1 person has already died and several have already been injured in todays storm, lets hope this next weeks storm doesnt come to fruition or we could end up with a far more devastating storm in the lead up to Christmas.

I will monitor themodels over the weekend and if i feel its justifable, i will create a new thread with as much warning and detail as i can, even though its difficult to pin point detail, the general message should still be released as soon as can be.

JMA (Japan Model - 16th December)

NOGAPS (US Model - 13th December)

UKMO (UK Model - 13th December)

ECMWF (Europe Model - 13th December)

GFS Model (13th December)

As you can see, all 5 major models are predicting a severe storm, all we need to do now is wait for the finer details.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Aye, model output certainly suggests more storms this month. Very different to the blocked situation of last year.

Some indications of a white christmas too. But no serious cold

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join