It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Gingrich said something before his Campaign staff quit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Newt Gingrich said something before his Campaign staff quit, something so stupid it basically broke the straw.

I can't remember what it was. I've been looking for a while and can't find any record of it. Newt said this stupid thing right before his previous campaign manager and staff quit. It was not the thing about the Tiffany's credit, it was a quote from Newt, it was controversial, the story was on Drudge for a few days, now even using Drudge's search it seems the story has been buried, thanks to anyone who can help me find the quote.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
something so stupid it basically broke the straw.

Yes, that remark was the camel that broke the straw's back or as most people say "The straw that broke the camel's back." What that remark was exactly I can't say. Not because I do not wish to divulge but I just don't know. Perhaps this will help. Some of his staff quit way back in June.

Newt Gingrich’s top campaign aides resigned in a group on Thursday, saying they had profound differences with the former speaker of the House over the strategy of his bid to win the GOP presidential nomination.

www.csmonitor.com...

All of this seems moot now since it's starting to look like he might get the nomination. 10 to 1 the quitters will come crawling back when they see that he might actually get the GOP nomination.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I vaguely remember hearing something about the staff wanting him to campaign more and he went on a cruise or something. I know in the beginning they were pissed because he was always doing book signings and screenings of his movies when they wanted him to actual run a campaign.

Are you thinking of the quote about the Paul Ryan medicaid plan? The "Right wing social engineering" quote.
edit on 6-12-2011 by lellomackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

How long ago was this comment made by Newt? I recall back in May 2011, Newt was critical of Paul Ryan. After he made those comments, he dropped significantly in the polls and, as I recall, many of his staff quit. Here's a link to a news story discussing that incident:

www.cbsnews.com...

The former House speaker, who is in the midst of a 17-stop tour of Iowa, has come under heavy fire from Republicans for suggesting Sunday that the Ryan budget, passed earlier this year by House Republicans, amounts to "right-wing social engineering." Gingrich suggested that Ryan's plan to transform Medicare into a voucher-like program was "too big a jump" and suggested it was an effort at "imposing radical change" on Americans.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Article from June on this.

Politico: "Gingrich was intent on using technology and standing out at debates to get traction while his advisers believed he needed to run a campaign that incorporated both traditional, grassroots techniques as well as new ideas. One official said the last straw came when Gingrich went forward with taking a long-planned cruise with his wife last week in the Greek isles."

politicalwire.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

Newt approached his staff and divulged that in preparation for the arduous GOP struggle for the nomination, he was going to have cranial augmentation surgery to make his head even MORE bigger and rounder than the other candidates.

His staff did not agree, as they felt his head was already a big enough target and children might get frightened if it got any bigger and rounder.

But Newt insisted, claiming that it would make his Jack-o-Lantern costume for Halloween all the more easy and convincing, hence the departure of his staff.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think the fact that he was going on a vacation right after he announced his candidacy was the last straw for those of his staff who quit. It seems to me they felt that he wasn't serious or willing to do the work, expecting his staff to run the campaign...

When I read your post, it also seemed to me that he had said something really 'off', as well, but I can't remember what it was. I looked around a little but didn't find it.

It's times like these when I wonder just how much of my memory is in tact, you know? The conspiracy side of me wonders why several of us remember that there was a specific quote attached to his staff's departure, but can't remember what it was...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Originally posted by dbates
All of this seems moot now since it's starting to look like he might get the nomination. 10 to 1 the quitters will come crawling back when they see that he might actually get the GOP nomination.

Agreed. The vast majority of the more conservative half of the country will vote for whomever is the R nominee, just as the vast majority of the more liberal half will vote for whomever is the D nominee. That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. ANd it happens every 4 years like clockwork...

I saw this little blurb while looking for the Gingrich quote:

How Newt is Channeling "The Producers"

Like a certain Max Bialystock production, his campaign is succeeding despite its seemingly suicidal design.

We may be witnessing the political world’s answer to “The Producers,” the Mel Brooks musical about an avaricious showman who concocts a sure-to-flop production that somehow turns into the surprise hit of the season. It’s called the Newt Gingrich presidential campaign.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I saw this little blurb while looking for the Gingrich quote:

How Newt is Channeling "The Producers"

Life imitates art. You can't make this stuff up. That's a pretty funny but accurate assessment of the situation. Perry almost desperately wants to be “Springtime for Hitler" by mucking up any appearance he has but Newt gets the award for putting in as little effort as possible into the ordeal. I have to say if we're just talking about performances in the debates Newt does clean house. Now if he can only dodge those past ethics committee findings that Pelosi is threatening to leak. There's probably nothing there that would sink him anyway if he makes it past Iowa.

new topics

top topics

join