It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ron Paul Affect in politics: What exactly is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ron Paul is changing the political discourse, but how?

This is not a thread to debate the merits of Ron Paul the candidate, unless they apply to the topic...his ability to have an lasting affect on national politics and the voting public.
That is, how well is he getting his message out? Will his views ever be widely accepted when he is practically ignored by the mainstream, corporate media? Is his organization a useful blueprint for real grass roots activism?

I would like to keep it a positive thread, but no Ron Paul worship. Maybe we can get a handle on what his "revolution" means, if anything, after the man is gone from public life. Is this the beginning of wider public involvement in national politics?

For my part, I believe he has been effective at exposing the hypocrisy of corporate candidates, but also the lie that is the left/right paradigm in U.S. politics. I believe he is very dangerous to the vested powers on both sides of the aisle.

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I see the thread has been moved to 2012 Election...
Bear in mind, the thread is about what lasting affect, if any, that Ron Paul and his organization have on the political process, now and in the future.
Will it grow, or die, not whether he will win the election. But, all comments are welcome.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The 2012 Presidential Elections will provide a great opportunity for Independant or Third Party success. A legitimate candidate that is not connected to either of the major parties is more appealing to the public now than at anytime in recent memory. 'Career Politician' has become a commonly used derogatory term. The political climate is more unstable and unpredictable than ever.The American public are more engaged than ever and they are searching for someone to believe in. The public have never been more open to a Third Party/Independant Candidate.

With that in mind I feel that the deadline for a Third Party or Independant entering the 2012 election race is a very significant and important date. I am certain that the 2012 elections have alot of surprises in store. There is the looming threat of a Trump/Palin tilt. There is also the possibility of OWS forming a political party and endorsing an Independant. It is even possible a Ross Paroit type could pop up. People are definitely searching for someone to believe in,someone worthy of their support. The fleeting spikes in the polls of the gop and especially the questionable rise of Newt Gingrich is evidence that nothing is decided.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I saw an interview on Fox News where Chris Wallace asked Ron Paul if he would consider a run as an independant if he fails to win the republican nomination. Paul answered no. I believe him. If Ron Paul can be stopped in the gop it will create somewhat of a political support vacume. Ron Paul supporters will be on offer to a nonpartisan alternative. Combine them with the 80% of undecided voters that are willing to consider a vote for a non-partisan third party and you have the perfect conditions for a new political force to emerge.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Excellent analysis.
Do you think Ron Paul and his organization have been key players in this development, that is, the emergence of independent voters?
I wonder what influence the alternative media, like ATS, is having in the bigger picture.
I am responding to your first post, btw.
edit on 6-12-2011 by SurrealisticPillow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Paul's platform is being nibbled away and adopted by the mainstream candidates. This could be significant if Paul isn't elected, and if some other candidate actually follows the platform.

All in all, I don't think it will have any lasting effect whatsoever unless he is elected or assassinated. If he just loses, he will no impact at all. The corporate shills will still make all the laws to benefit the corporations, and they will continue to tell us it is for our own good.

I disagree with the poster above. There is no way a 3rd party candidate stands any chance whatsoever in this election. Obama is worshipped, and he will set new records for campaign contributions. The Republicans will either endorse Paul and also set new records, or they will ignore Paul and concede the election to Obama. There is no place for a 3rd party candidate here.

If Obama wins 2012, and the country somehow stays together, then 2016 will be a perfect time for a 3rd party candidate. You need a hotly contested race, with meager enthusiasm for each of the establishment candidates for a 3rd party to have any chance. 2012 will be just the opposite. If it is Paul vs. Obama then it will be record voter turnout! If it is Obama vs anybody else, then it will be a landslide for Obama.

Paul is only significant if he wins.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

Hey thanks,nice post by the way.

I think thats an interesting question. If Ron Paul is beaten in the gop he could still have a massive effect. His endorsment will go a long way.

And I think the alternate media is a bigger influence on the world than ever.
edit on 6-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have a conspiracy that relates to all this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

That is a FRIGHTENING theory.

I don't think Trump/Palin stand a snowball's chance in hell, but then again, it's all about TV ratings, and they will win that war!

I also have a Conspiracy Theory, and it also involves Trump all the way back to the Birth Certificate fiasco.

GOP was rigged from the start.

I think they had Perry/Romney as their puppets, Trump as an enabler both for Perry/Romney, and for Obama to be used wherever he was needed. I think Cain was a last minute addition to steal the spotlight from Tea Partiers like Paul and Bachmann. I think Newt was a safety outlet in case the whole plan fell apart, they could use Newt as the good ol company man to carry the field through the rough spots........ and here we are.

Now, if Paul can weather this last Newt and Trump storm, and carry some momentum into January primaries, then he has a legitimate shot at the nomination.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Who are "they"? Who is pulling the strings, if some of these candidates are just useful fall guys?
Ron Paul has an extensive organization. I don't see it dissolving like some do, because I don't buy the story that it is really all about him. I believe it is about his ideas.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
Is this the beginning of wider public involvement in national politics?

What do you think?

Bingo.

At least for the next year, who knows what will happen after that, but I would bet you a dollar voter turnout will go through the roof this coming year. I think usually only 3% of people vote, what do you think it will be in 2012? 5%? 10%? 25%?

99%?

edit on 6-12-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
As an outsider i see Ron Paul as the only redeeming feature in the whole of US politics.

He brings the simple truth, humility and courtesy to the global community, above all he offers common sense and a little humanity towards his fellow man.

There is a time in all Empires when the leadership become loathed and despised by its subjects, the American Empire has never been so loathed as now, the sole Super-power has brought us to ruin and despair.

So,to bequeath the world with a legacy to match the Greeks,the Romans and the British, the US requires more than a leader, it requires some-one who can redeem the greatness in the eyes of the world.

I think it was Apocalypse Now that had the line "Inside every gook is an American trying to get out"....

Well my American alter ego is a Ron Paul, that's the kind of American human i can relate to, if your American and you share some of the views and decency of him, then i like you a lot brothers and sisters.

If your choice is anything other than Ron Paul...then you suck...you suck and blow big time.
Just my opinion as an outsider on the GLOBAL effect of Ron Paul in politics.

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I think there will be many people burning voting machines (as opposed to books) in the streets when widespread voter fraud becomes apparent. That is the Ron Paul affect that I see developing, something along those lines.
Ron Paul keeps a certain distance from the fight his supporters are engaged in. He won't have any blood on his shirt. The person who takes his place, as yet unknown, will probably be a bit more of a fighter, IMO. Perhaps Paul should be looking for Jesse Ventura to partner with?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

As a country, we have those that keep up with what is really going on in politics. At least, we try to get the straight scoop so we can make an intelligent decision. Clearly, we are in the minority.
But, I believe it is probably like that where you live. Most are clueless, no?
Don't judge us TOO harshly for the actions of the criminal class. We are trying to educate people, some of us..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow

Who are "they"? Who is pulling the strings, if some of these candidates are just useful fall guys?
Ron Paul has an extensive organization. I don't see it dissolving like some do, because I don't buy the story that it is really all about him. I believe it is about his ideas.

GOP party leaders, corporate money men, etc. The leader of the Republican Party of Florida is not a politician and has never ran for any office, yet he has extreme influence over party politics in the state.

Even without any conspiracy theory or shadow govt talk, it is widely known that the politicians answer to the party leaders, lobbyists, financiers, etc.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Text I don't buy the story that it is really all about him. I believe it is about his ideas.
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

I agree.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Now, we have a charity by Ron Paul supporters to collect 10,000 lbs. of food for the hungry and needy.

Ron Paul Supporters organize a charity

So, that is a "Ron Paul" affect, wouldn't you say?

top topics

join