It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you get along with 24/7 positive attitude junkies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have a question.

How do you get along with those "positive attitude junkies" who act like life is a wonderland 24/7? They're everywhere now in the Western World and countries exposed to the West. Many good looking Gen Yers usually develop that attitude for some reason, esp if they are popular and hip. You know what I mean?

There are many people in the young generation today who act like everything is awesome 24/7. They frequently use words like "Life is beautiful", "Awesome", "Great" etc. They act like life is a wonderland 24/7 and nothing negative exists. I thought they only existed on TV, but they exist in real life too. They are usually on a superficial wavelength too, not a deep one. And they are usually well liked, praised, and hip.

Most of these types are from America, and are usually female and good looking, but I've noticed that many English speaking Taiwanese girls are like that too (such as Janet Hsieh on Discovery Channel's Fun Taiwan series). Where does that delusion come from exactly? How do they get that way? Are they serious? Or in denial?

How do you get along with these types? How do you have a conversation with them? Around them, I get the feeling like if I say even one thing negative, they'll avoid me. I also get the vibe that deep meaningful topics are "abnormal" to their wavelength.

Many of these types are attractive, good looking, and hip. So they draw people to them. A perfect example is Janet Hsieh, host of Fun Taiwan on the Discovery Channel and TLC. She is good looking, bubbly, and acts like everything is a 24/7 wonderland. That combo makes her popular. But her act looks superficial and phony to people who are realists or deeper than her. Plus, no one feels special when she is nice to them, because she's superficially nice to everyone, young and old. Gee.

Not all of them are celebrities though. They also include surfers, skateboarders, backpackers, hippies, New Agers, and lots of other young people.

But how do you get along with these types? By just acting fake and saying positive things about everything? Ick. (I guess some people derive pleasure from negativity and cynicism)

Have any of you met these types before? They seem to be everywhere now, esp among Gen Y. They act so hip and positive that it kind of makes you feel "uncool" if you don't share their attitude. The good thing about them is that they aren't mean to anyone. They aren't very cliquish or judgmental either, but rather, quite inclusive, albeit in a superficial way. You know?

In fact, they are so nice to everyone, that their niceness becomes meaningless, so that when they are nice to you, it feels like nothing special, since they are that way to everyone. lol. Know what I mean?

You also feel like you can't really bond or connect with them, cause they sort of "belong to everyone". So if they are hot, then they have tons of admirers. She is nice to all of them, but never serious about any of them.

Don't these 24/7 positive attitude types know that 75 percent of people are in poverty, that there's more suffering in the world than happiness, that life is not a wonderful, but a cycle of happiness and suffering?

Don't they know that evil people run the world, and that most things you're told are lies and propaganda, that most people aren't happy, etc.?

Are these types really able to avoid suffering by denying it out of their reality? They certainly act like they can. And if you ask them, they will say that they don't like to focus on the negative. They focus on the positive, and attract positive things, and that's their secret to happiness. Is it really that simple? Geez. So that's the key to happiness? It's been in front of our noses all the time! LOL OK!

I would venture to guess that since they're usually good looking, they were treated very well from birth, and given a lot of love and attention by everyone, hence their overly positive peppy attitude. So they can't really relate to anyone beneath them. They harbor no resentment, ill will, or regret either, since they've never really suffered. And no one has ever treated them like #. So when they grow up, they are able to return all that niceness back, by acting superficially nice to everyone, and having a positive attitude 24/7. Is that why they are like that? If so, then I guess only those resentful in life, who have suffered a lot, dislike their attitude?

Could that be? Are there really people in life who have never suffered?

These types avoid comparing cultures and people like the plague. And they avoid all forms of political incorrectness. Nothing politically incorrect ever comes out of their mouths. If they hear me give my culture comparisons in my usual detailed insightful way, they will remain silent, since they avoid argument, debate or negative observations of any sort, no matter how true. Or they will disagree with me in a polite way, but when I bring up many examples, experiences and facts to support my comparisons, they usually quit and go into silent mode, for they seem incapable of offering counter-argument points other than the popular female cliche "Not all are like that" which women love to use for some reason, but is pointless since no one is saying that "all are like that".

For some reason, these people are blind to patterns, as though everything were equal everywhere, which is not true, but they can never define their views clearly and have no real argument. They simply dislike observations, patterns and debate of any kind. All they want to do is have fun and act cool, like everything is great 24/7, and that's all. Such people would probably make the worst chess players. lol

Do any of you understand these types? Have you met them? Any experiences you've had with them? Any insights into them?

What are they called exactly? I know they hate labels, but what can you call them? I don't know. Perhaps "positive attitude junkies"? lol

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have met some (positive attitude junkies)....and to me they are irritating. Life is not always positive and wonderful...I think many (positive junkies) are very unrealistic...and I also think that some of them in their private moments when no one is around....have their sad and depressed moments.....they just don't like to show it in public nor admit it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

How do you get along with these types? How do you have a conversation with them?

I don't. Waste of everyone's time, they are deaf to me & I am blind to their limited perception of reality.

Best thing to do is take in what you enjoy from these people and don't let their optimism opium attitude disrupt your emotions.

What are they called exactly?

Sheeple.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
First, I'd point out that I see a big difference between the chronically happy people I could just punch in the nose some days....LOL...vs. what you describe as the Positive Attitude Junkies.

I actually envy the junkies sometimes. It must be a great world to inhabit where everything is great, nothing ever goes wrong and even the most depraved actions by our fellow human beings only hide a good, decent person underneath just waiting for the proper liberal to help them out.

Of course the rosey red glass world view will mean when TSHTF they will be about as useful as newborn babys in a forest fire....but they have such a happy existence right up to that point, where it'll shatter like plate glass in a riot. THEN I shall pity them for the total emotional wasteland they become when reality smacks them like a brick upside the head.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I for one have a friend that has this attitude towards life.
For me I am an realist. So im pessimistic considering the believes that i have made myself custom to.

I've asked him why do you look towards life in such an way. Straight forward question, after a tense moment between us. A moment what i have setup by looking up some info about stuff he ignores. (I believe about our queen Bea and the Bilderberg) He says put it off, I dont want to know

I said why do you want to live in a lie? Because i cant change it, and im happy with what i have. Plus I do what I can do when strangers/friends an family ask me. ( I know he does) He says that he delibertly ignores it, because life always has bin this way and we cant change anything. I have my beer, my weed, my own house, my ps 3 Im good. If I would follow these world miseries, my life would't be this relaxed.

Looking back at history he is 100%right.

So my downfall is the fire that is burning inside me, which keeps me from doing what is best for my personal health.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I deal with them the same way I deal with the 24/7 negative attitude junkies. I let them exist with their chosen frame of reference and learn what I can from my interaction with them. You can't really control how others behave or what they choose.

I try to keep a neutral position on things as best I can and just go on. Extremes in anything are a little irritating, but hey, so is apathy, chronic complaining, one-upping, nit-picking, nagging, whining, and a host of other attitudes, just like people who act like overly enthusiastic anime characters every waking moment.

It's all relative.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
For some the glass is half full and for others half empty.

It seems you want to be like them writing such a long article
. If not you may just avoid them?

My advise is to try learn from them and get lifted up. They seem to lift the people around them.
I met some of these people and they are in high and good spirits. They bring other people up.

she seems very honest and nice. she lives how she is. I think its good to have people like here.
look at the guy with here he gets in a good mood through her. Its not about looks. she is beautifull from the inside.
Everyone can be no matter how bad his childhood was. Without people like here sad people wouldnt have a "role model" how they could feel.

edit on 4-12-2011 by peacemaker55 because: youtube vid

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It takes all kinds to make the world go around and I would argue that in such a descending state of chaos we are in, optimism can be refreshing and contagious. I think some people are just wired this way, and as long as don't try and forcefeed their attitude on others, more power to them. Many you mentioned are young and have not yet been hardened by the realities of life yet, so many of them will probably change just a bit. I feel that attitude greatly determines an individuals journey and outlook, and imo we need optimism in the mix, even if some of it is in the spirit of denial. We are all on different paths, moving at different speeds, so awareness is quite diverse, and hence the array of attitudes out there.

I could ask another question: How does one get along with doom junkies, that are always glib and have given up? It comes down to choice about who one hangs out with, to some degree, but again, I think it is all part of the mix of people, and we shouldn't get upset with too much positivity.

I consider myself optimistic, not in a purest form, but just in how I see things. I try and see the good in people and life. Sometimes I have to pretend things will be okay, because otherwise I would sink into my own personal despair and start suffering mental and health wise.

This being said, yes I can relate to the OP's premise, but I do not think it is worth getting upset about. Just tune it out or move along.

My .02

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I would suggest trying to point out balance in a natural way. Thinking of the balance of things almost always evokes a quietude in people, and isn't that the problem? It is not how happy a person is, it's just how much they talk about it!

Haha, this goes both ways you know? Angry people may have the same problem. So, just slip in a natural observation about "how things go up and down" and perhaps even continue the example a while... pointing it towards your goal of this person relaxing a bit.

I understand and share your slight at 24/7 happy people, because I see it as an unfortunate imbalance for that person. Balance creates harmony, imbalance creates disharmony.

(In addition)

After more carefully reading your post, it seems that you harbor a whole lot of negative assumptions and generalization about things, giving me the impression that you have much thinking about balance to do yourself. Perhaps my above posting would be more pertinent to yourself and effective in easing the problem at hand if applied to the sufferer.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Aqualung2012 because: on second thought

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The thing that make these types so annoying, is that they are superficial and shallow to a large degree. They are living in some sort of detached "everyone is my friend" type of world. They tend to have few close friends and lack the ability to have a beer with and get into a meaningful conversation.

I tend to avoid these folks and be superficially pleasant with them, as they are with me...and leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I used to run with this crowd back in my Gen X days - now granted, I was one of the more civic minded types back then, but a lot of these kids were experiencing the "outside world" for the first time, and it was (and is) a novel and beautiful thing.

I also knew the Crews that dealt with the not so nice aspects of life and were a little "battle-hardened" and they tried not to push too many heavy things on them under the "ignorance is bliss" policy...understanding that the world needs more people like that - happy, beautiful and spreading positive energy. Such energy is infectious.

A good friend of mine who went by the name "Pixie" would dress with fairy wings and spread glitter and smiles on even the most hardened businessmen's faces with her joy and enthusiasm for life.

Sometimes we just need to open our hearts and let the joy in, and these people can serve as reminders if we let them - that there ARE good people out there trying to bring a little light into an otherwise cold and disinterested world.

That's my experience, anyway...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I've met a few of them, and they're not only extremely happy-go-lucky...they're extremely innocent. I get along with them pretty well because I find their innocence absolutely fascinating. Sometimes it's like hanging out with a five-year-old; it really is. No kidding, some of them get tears in their eyes if they accidentally step on a ladybug. Honestly? I think it's the lack of cynicism that I find so refreshing. I'm a very cynical person, so I guess it's a case of opposites attract or something.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I thought they only existed on TV, but they exist in real life too.

Because they're watching too much TV?

Most of these types are from America, and are usually female and good looking

I've encountered positive people everywhere. If they're female and good looking, then I'm in.

How do you get along with these types?

Count me in, and I'll show you (jokes).

Many of these types are attractive, good looking, and hip. So they draw people to them.

I am one of those people who are most likely attracted to good looking women instead of what I would consider ugly. Of course you're going to feel attracted to an attractive person, that's why you feel attracted.

A perfect example is Janet Hsieh, host of Fun Taiwan on the Discovery Channel and TLC. She is good looking, bubbly, and acts like everything is a 24/7 wonderland.

She doesn't think she knows everything (on TV) is wonderland. What she spews out is wonderland and she spews it to people who are in wonderland.

But how do you get along with these types?

By being positive about it?
Why be negative about an encounter with a postive person, doesn't make sense to me.
If someone doesn't want to debate with you the negative issues of the world and everything in it, then they don't have to do they?

They act so hip and positive that it kind of makes you feel "uncool" if you don't share their attitude.

This means then that you're negative?
How is that anybody elses problem but your own?

In fact, they are so nice to everyone, that their niceness becomes meaningless, so that when they are nice to you, it feels like nothing special, since they are that way to everyone.

So we should act negative towards people just so when we act positive it'll count?
Doesn't make sense to me either.
For some people, being positive is state of mind they wish to follow.

You also feel like you can't really bond or connect with them, cause they sort of "belong to everyone". So if they are hot, then they have tons of admirers. She is nice to all of them, but never serious about any of them.

Do you have a crush on the most popular girl you know or something?
How do you know if attractive people don't end up with one person?
Each person is different.
Think about it.

Don't they know that evil people run the world, and that most things you're told are lies and propaganda, that most people aren't happy, etc.?

Maybe they don't?
Why don't you tell them about it? If they listen, they listen, if they don't, they don't, but at least you tried and that's what counts.

They focus on the positive, and attract positive things, and that's their secret to happiness. Is it really that simple? Geez. So that's the key to happiness? It's been in front of our noses all the time!

Have you heard about "The Secret?"

The Secret is a best-selling 2006 self-help book written by Rhonda Byrne. It is based on the earlier film of the same name that was released in DVD format in March 2006. The tenet of the film and book is that the universe is governed by a natural law called the law of attraction which is said to work by attracting into a person's life the experiences, situations, events, and people that 'match the frequency' of the person's thoughts and feelings. Therefore, positive thinking and feeling positive are claimed to create life-changing results such as increased wealth, health, and happiness.

Maybe they're using the secret? (I doubt it)
Wikipedia

I would venture to guess that since they're usually good looking, they were treated very well from birth, and given a lot of love and attention by everyone, hence their overly positive peppy attitude.

Have you got something against attractive people? Certainly looks that way.

Could that be? Are there really people in life who have never suffered?

I think the odds on that are very slim, don't you?

What are they called exactly? I know they hate labels, but what can you call them? I don't know. Perhaps "positive attitude junkies"? lol

What you're describing is a generation that watches too much TV, but seriously, it's not an evil master plan fabricated by attractive females and if it was, then, you can count me in.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
[...]
Don't these 24/7 positive attitude types know that 75 percent of people are in poverty, that there's more suffering in the world than happiness, that life is not a wonderful, but a cycle of happiness and suffering?

Why should these people show their feeling about real world happenings they didn't experience in the public? Can they change anything to the positive if they do? Many of these "positive attitude types" probably believe rather the opposite.
And if you don't know them very well, you can't really know if they always have a positive attitude or not.

Are these types really able to avoid suffering by denying it out of their reality? They certainly act like they can. And if you ask them, they will say that they don't like to focus on the negative. They focus on the positive, and attract positive things, and that's their secret to happiness. Is it really that simple? Geez. So that's the key to happiness? It's been in front of our noses all the time! LOL OK!

There are certainly different types of these people. Many of them probably found effective ways to be more relaxed. Others deny their negative feelings or just interpret them different than you would.
They might follow any spiritual guides, meditate and/or get their positive energy from nature or whatever.

[...]but they can never define their views clearly and have no real argument. [...]
Do any of you understand these types? Have you met them? Any experiences you've had with them? Any insights into them? [...]

Does it really that much matter to convince others of anything if it most likely fails anyways?

I understand these types of people better than people who make a fuss out of small things or better than psychopaths who don't feel anything at all.

I meditate and love to be in nature and so, love to hear certain advices about life like this (related to topic), but I'm not of the type you describe.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Fenrin because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2011 by Fenrin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
op you should try it... it sure beats feeling sorry for your self
edit on 4-12-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

How do you get along with 24/7 positive attitude junkies?

I usually punch them in the face and then tell them to "have a nice day"

Sorry that was just a dream I had.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I work with a guy like this and he drives me nuts. Whenever someone congratulates him on his work, he puts on a fake humble maskl "Oh no, we're all on the same team, we all worked hard on this ... "
If I complain about something, he says "Now now, we all have to work on this, don't get down. I'll help you out."
again

The funny thing is, I have heard him when he is mad and he thinks nobody is around. Gone is the fake positivity

edit on 4-12-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Most of them put on that mask, and that is the way they deal with life and things in general I know some of them seem fake to the point that they really seem like plastic....But people are wired in different ways, and vibrate to different tunes. I would say just play along for what its worth, but I know what you mean sometimes positive play will get you no were, and really it's time to get a healthy dose of reality.

If anything, if you cant get along with them then just stay away from them. And you do your own thing for however long that lasts and they do there's, and you both go your own ways...Because given time everybody will be on the other side of the street eventually, in this lifetime, or the next....So it really does not matter at all that you cant get along with somebody or they don't get you or understand some things. Nor does it matter that you cant get along with this or that person.

And if anything I would think all the more gloomy people can learn something from the always positive attitude junkies, after all ignorance is bliss.....That is if that blissful ignorance does not come back to bite your head off.
It takes all kinds and so there will be all kinds.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

www.dateinasia.com...

i'm a romantic girl, an idealist sentimental dreamer who lives with rose colored glasses

I'm Ishi...
I'm simple and very natural, yet exciting to be with

I'm adventurous, I'm curious about everything around me..

learning and travelling is my passion, i want to discover the world and to meet interesting people..

I'm musically inclined
i am a singer since i was a little girl and a dancer too^.^, I play different instruments, like guitar, piano, flute, clarinet, and i'm currently learning saxophone

i love to laugh, i love to smile, i'm full of positive energy..
when there are trials, I cry once and then it's forgotten, hehe..
I believe that when something is really for you, it won't go..
Happiness is a choice.. You can choose to be happy anytime you want it..

i love being cuddled and being taken care of and i love doing it in return

i am easily touched by very simple things..
it's very easy to make me smile...
i don't need material things to be happy, just the love and affection is enough

I'm a very loyal friend and a very faithful partner

i'm a little shy and quiet most of the time...
but become bubbly when i get comfortable with the people around me..
i love hanging out with family and friends..
i am creative: i draw, i paint, i do personalized crafts and stuffs, i design (rooms, events, souvenirs, outfits, etc.)..
i'm very business minded, i enjoy it so much..

i write poems, short stories and novels... i'm also a bookworm, hehe..
i am sporty: i am a badminton player, a runner and i already did some martial arts and some extreme sports...
i'm a busy person but someone who knows how to balance and enjoy life...

i am simply ISHI who believes that....
LIFE IS SO GREAT AND NO ONE CAN EVER RUIN IT! ^___^
I want to meet a Male or Female
with age from 21 to 35
and I want to meet for Friendship or Other.

I'm not superficial, I look not on the looks but more on the personality of the person.
Someone who have a good heart, kind and humble.
I want a good conversation, not flirts or sh*t talks.
Men and women are welcome, I want to have friends across the globe.
Most importantly, sincere and real people who can be my TRUE friend

Do any of you notice the liberal Gen Y female talk in her profile above? Words like "Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy any time. Life is so great." etc?

Why do so many liberal politically correct Gen Y females nowadays talk like that? It's so delusional and annoying.

Oh, so that's the secret to life and happiness, to realize that "life is beautiful and happiness is a choice". Wow amazing. I've just found the secret to the universe and to life. That alone will solve the world's problems and make everyone happy! Yeah right!

How did people get so delusional?

I mean, geez, 75 percent of the world is suffering in poverty, disease and other ailments. They can't just "choose to be happy or see that life is great", etc. That isn't going to solve their problems at all. Gee whiz. Suffering is part of life. It motivates us to be strong and look deeper and seek courage. Why deny that? Without suffering, happiness cannot exist. It's the ying and yang thing - neither can exist without the other. The trick in life is to learn to cope with suffering, not to deny it.

Why are so many liberal politically correct Gen Y people in such denial? How do you have an intelligent conversation with such delusional people? It's hard to know what to say because as soon as you say something deep or wise or meaningful or insightful, they get weirded out. So how can you hold a good conversation with them?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
I mean, geez, 75 percent of the world is suffering in poverty, disease and other ailments. They can't just "choose to be happy or see that life is great", etc. That isn't going to solve their problems at all. Gee whiz. Suffering is part of life. It motivates us to be strong and look deeper and seek courage. Why deny that? Without suffering, happiness cannot exist. It's the ying and yang thing - neither can exist without the other. The trick in life is to learn to cope with suffering, not to deny it.

Personally I do choose to be positive, to those around me and generally. And I think in most cases it can be a choice. To look on the bright side, for want of a better expression. I don't think it helps anyone if I get depressed about the suffering in the world, and I think it is a little selfish to get tied up on the little things when there is real suffering. What have I got to complain about really? Relatively speaking. And generally...being miserable, feeling sorry for myself are a waste of energy that can be better employed and should certainly never be distributed too liberally.

And besides, when I smile, the whole damn world smiles with me!

It's a butterfly effect, don't you know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join