It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you get along with 24/7 positive attitude junkies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omphale

Originally posted by WWu777
I mean, geez, 75 percent of the world is suffering in poverty, disease and other ailments. They can't just "choose to be happy or see that life is great", etc. That isn't going to solve their problems at all. Gee whiz. Suffering is part of life. It motivates us to be strong and look deeper and seek courage. Why deny that? Without suffering, happiness cannot exist. It's the ying and yang thing - neither can exist without the other. The trick in life is to learn to cope with suffering, not to deny it.

Personally I do choose to be positive, to those around me and generally. And I think in most cases it can be a choice. To look on the bright side, for want of a better expression. I don't think it helps anyone if I get depressed about the suffering in the world, and I think it is a little selfish to get tied up on the little things when there is real suffering. What have I got to complain about really? Relatively speaking. And generally...being miserable, feeling sorry for myself are a waste of energy that can be better employed and should certainly never be distributed too liberally.

And besides, when I smile, the whole damn world smiles with me!

It's a butterfly effect, don't you know?

Fair enough. But keep in mind that these types DENY your reality when you complain about real things such as things going wrong, people being unfriendly, etc. If you complain about anything at all, they will NOT sympathize or empathize at all. They are on some happiness pill that makes them deny simple reality. So don't expect them to acknowledge real things in your life, unless they are rosy and positive. lol So much for meaningful conversation.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Core delusions of positive attitude junkie types:

1. Everything is wonderful.
2. Everyone is friendly.
3. Life is beautiful.
4. Happiness is a choice. You can choose it any time.
5. If you are always positive and allow no negativity in your life, then nothing bad can happen to you.

Anything that contradicts those things is ignored, no matter how obvious or true. They are not in touch with reality. They are not realists at all. If you have a problem or complaint, don't expect any sympathy or empathy from these types. They won't give it to you because in their world, your problems don't exist. Unfriendly people don't exist. Nothing sucks. Etc.

These people don't make good friends. They will not be your shoulder to cry on. You cannot talk to them about your problems. They won't want to listen. And if you complain, they will deny everything that's negative or doesn't fit their rosy wonderland world. Do you want friends like that? They may be ok as hang out friends, but you can't have any deep meaningful discussion with them, not if you're a realist, because they are not realists. You can't have a realistic discussion with them. Are those the kind of people you like?

I knew one in Poland. She was a wonderful positive person and a freespirit. She was an avid hitchhiker and well known in hitchhiking circles. Well she went to Africa with her positive attitude, believing that nothing could go wrong as long as she was positive and allowed no negativity into her life. And she ended up dying of malaria. You can see a tribute to her here:

www.digihitch.com...

Here is a Wikipedia article about her:

en.wikipedia.org...

She ought to serve as a lesson to other positive attitude junkie types, to be realistic and be prepared. You can't just go around with an attitude that if you allow no negativity in your life, then nothing bad will happen to you. It doesn't work that way. You should not enter high risk areas with that attitude either. It's foolish, reckless and could result in terrible consequences. You should not drive with that attitude either, or else you could cause accidents and endanger others. Quit these stupid "you create your reality" delusions, and BE REALISTIC and LOGICAL. Sheesh.

Btw, I happen to have videos of her that are part of my Russia video trip collection. I ought to upload them so that her family and loved ones can have them as a tribute to her.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
A realist is not an optimist or pessimist. They are both, depending on the situation. If the chances of something are good, then they will be optimistic. If the chances are low or too improbable, then they will be pessimistic about it. I think most people are like that. Many Gen Y liberals wear a mask. If I know that I'm good at something, like chess for example, then I will feel optimistic when playing others, cause I know I'm good. But if I suck at something like basketball, then I will feel pessimistic because average people can beat me at it and I have no talent or interest in it. Those are logical attitudes. It has nothing to do with being optimistic all the time or pessimistic all the time. A realist is both, depending on the situation.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Actually, I'm not wasting time to them because I think we cannot interact as much as I wanted.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think there is a difference between someone who sees things as glass half full and someone who is positive about EVERYTHING to the point of annoyance. if i was around someone who was cheery about pretty much everything i'd either smack them upside the head or ask them if they were trying to implement the laws of attraction and if so that things have changed and u dont have to be falsely positive about everything in order to attract that new porsche you've been hoping to attract.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2011 by redstorm because: Equilibrilization

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
hmmm scarcasm..i get it

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

You describe these sugar-coated, rainbow streaming, positivity addicted, happy-go-lucky, dime-a-dozen sheep much more politely than I could even begin to.

I truly am convinced that just as political correctness is the plague of the 21st century, individualism is its great taboo.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Blumming 'eck, you're a miserable bunch.

I have met incredibly up-beat people who are always the life and soul of the party...and I have also seen them crash all too often when it gets to the wee-small hours of the morning and they are all they have left. Some people need to fill their lives with constant inane chatter, maintaining superficial relationships because quite simply they cannot cope with being alone with themselves. They're not necessarily bad people, but yes they generally are putting on a mask and they often do need to ignore various realities in order to function.

What I meant about being positive, and trying to project that positivism outwards, is merely 'looking on the brightside' and 'seeking the best in others'. I have, in my life, been taken advantage of in various ways due to what many percieve as my 'naive' attitude, but I always assess the dangers first and know what I am getting into, I blame no-one but myself if things go wrong, and I don't beat myself up too much over it. I have been wrong and I have come a cropper. So, I have a good cry, picked myself up, dusted myself off and started all over again. What else is there to do? Wallow in a pit of self-pity and hope someone else'll come along and make the world a better place?

Negative people have their place too...but only if they can at least sometimes find a sense of humour. Life is hard for the majority of people on some level, I try to take the time to lighten people's load if I can, not increase their burden.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join