It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of Kazaa ????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I was curious how many people have used Kazaa to download files and what they think about the legality of doing so. I have downloaded some songs here and there, but not too many. I have a friend who has a "library" of songs that he downloaded from the site and I have heard people say that he could technically be arrested for doing this. I have also heard that Kazaa-lite is not owned by Sharman who owns Kazaa, and there is a major lawsuit between the two.

"the most annoying thing about Sharman has been its practice of embedding programs in the free Kazaa software to make money, everything from popup ads to spyware that tracks Internet behavior."

"When Sharman goes away, something else will spring up: As I write this, some 3.8 million people are connected to the service and more than 800 million files are being shared. Future attempts to capture this huge audience are inevitable. "

www.business2.com...

Ever since the controversy with Napster, I heard that someone was going to offer a file sharing site like Kazaa and Napster but with a small monthly fee that would be distributed to the record labels, but I haven't seen anything like this. Would you be willing to pay a small fee for something like this? I would be willing to do so if they had a good selection of files.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
spyware adware.

i use ares
www.softgap.com

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
they should make the music average quality, i normally download alot of music and the bands i like i normally go out and buy allmost all of their albums so they couldnt complain that i am stealing from them as i have probably put about 500 dollers split 10 ways in various artists pockets because i tryed before i buyed, its a good way to market the product....

or atleast i belive it is, only talentless one hit wonder comercial artists who cannot produce deccent albums need be afraid... mp3 sharing programs have the potensiall to bring back real tallent to the music industry.....

thats what i think...

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
RIAA busts university students -- seeks $150k per song

RIAA has busted four individual university students in three different U.S. universities, claiming that they've distributed thousands of illegal MP3 files using their dorms' Net connections and P2P networks. RIAA is seeking for a very moderate compensation, mere $150,000 per distributed song, for damages.

Otherwise the cases are pretty clear, some of the students sued in this instance, were running Direct Connect P2P clients, distributing the MP3s over the DC network. But at least one of the students was running a search engine that would allow users to search shared files within the campus network, not a P2P client. And as far as we know, running a search engine -- whatever it happens to find -- is perfectly legal, otherwise Google would've been busted for a long time ago.

RIAA's take on the issue is obviously somewhat different: "Differences are irrelevant from a copyright perspective," said RIAA Senior Vice President Matt Oppenheim. "All of these are networks created for one purpose and are being used for infringement."

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Ever since the controversy with Napster, I heard that someone was going to offer a file sharing site like Kazaa and Napster but with a small monthly fee that would be distributed to the record labels, but I haven't seen anything like this. Would you be willing to pay a small fee for something like this? I would be willing to do so if they had a good selection of files.

napster is bringing back their services, and is going to have a monthly fee.

and for kazaa... there have already been cases where people's computers have been seized... but that's if you're a heavy downloader... verizon has already agreed to working with the riaa.

...as for the ad-ware on kazaa... www.dietk.com [diet kazaa works with your current version of kazaa to block all those ads].

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I use Kazaa Lite because it has no SPYWARE but the best p2p client IMO is WinMX for the serious user

www.winmx.com...

Go download and have some fun peepl.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
file-sharing is no different than a library.

Or me buying a book and lending it to my friend.

If it's high quality and you enjoy it, odds are you will purchase it.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
KAZAA is the SHIZ_NIT i luv it my library is FULL i am a guru i luv it i luv it i luv it......

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
" In a recent home raid a man going by the name of 'Isis' had his computer confiscated after the FBI was informed it contained over 1000 illegally downloaded files from kazaa, Isis faces 20 years imprisonment"

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I first heard of Kazaa in January and looked into it. I found some information that made me uncomfortable with that software. I realise that it can be fun to get mp3s of music we like, but Kazaa (even Kazza Lite) have embedded spyware and is loaded with viruses. It also contains software that gives access to a person's hard drive's free space and sells that to a third party.

I've already provided that information in the January thread, you may wish to read it and reconsider whether Kazaa is the wonderful source of free music that you think it is. See the thread link below:

Kazaa Thread Link

All the Best,
Deep

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I personally use kazaa Lite and WinMX.
. I mostly download artists songs in order to see if they are any good b4 I buy the album. I buy more music now that I can listen to it before buying than I did when I didn't.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hey Lakini!!! I am a woman!!! ya'll didnt KNOW that?? What fag would go by the name isis???

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hey Lakini!!! I am a woman!!! ya'll didnt KNOW that?? Posted by Isis

I kinda figured that. Isis is the name of an ancient Egyptian Goddess if I am not mistaken.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm sure its not the most appropriate thing for me to say, but KaZaA is an amazing program, and have used it actively since it very first came out. Sometimes you just can't find that music track in the stores, but someone is bound to have it on their PC.

Fair enough, its now a major package of ad and spyware, but if you want to make the most of it, get KaZaA Lite and make sure its the K++ version, by far the best "light" version!

Two words, Divx movies.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Yup I cant get enough of kazaa, with the latest KazaaLite (++) version you are ALWAYS a guru. (participation level 1000)

Although lately you hear more and more about people being sued because they are downloading movies and music too much.

Kazaa gives people the opperunity(spell) to discover new bands and music styles. Too bad most people download complete albums and never enter record shops anymore

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Thanks to Kazaa I have a nice dvd collection that is somewhere around 300 dvds. I would have sex with kazaa if it were possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Kazaa can run and it CAN hide

www.boston.com...

AF1

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Zion where can I get the Kazaa where it is always 1000 participation?

new topics

top topics

join