It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making money on the interweb!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am not really sure where this thread should be, if its in the wromng forum, mods please moe it, thanks!

Ok I have always been told that the web is like a gold mine, you just have to put your hands in and take out the gold! But well, I just can't seem to find a way to get my hand inside of it

I am a med student in my 4th year and every passsing year I find it very difficult to manage my finances with the every dwindling pocket money my parents provide. And I have always been thinking about the fact that is it possible to make a descent amount of money online, enough to feed a family. In this time of growing uneployment is it possible to find an online job? After all nearly everyone has an internet connection, right? My research lead me to the following possibilities to earn an honest living of the web:

1. Well, to earn some big cash online you need to know something about programming, and frankly I have no idea about it. But if someone educated in computers and computer languages he can earn some good cash even though he is unemployed. This website elance and many other offers people to 'do work' anything from writing a piece of program to making a complete website, and you can earn around $500-$800 for one single task. To earn $5000 you just need to do a few jobs a month.
Actually you do not even need to know complicated programming, some people even pay to proof read documents and for transcriptions, but the payment is insignificant.

2. Secondly, I came about the fact, that if you are an expert in a subject matter you could write a book. Websites like Clickbank will host the book and many thousands of people will advertise your book in exchange for a commission when a copy gets sold.

3. Build a website. With the cost of website hosting dropping every year many people have opened their own website. If the subject matter is good, and google displays your site on the top, well you can earn from your site. You just have to sell some product or simply put up ads on your site to earn.

4. Gambling. Well a friend did earn around a $10,000 once, but no matter what I do, I always seem to lose money...

5. Your idea....

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If you are going to do web design, please please PLEASEEEEE do not create another one of those bland ecommerce style sites. I die a little inside every time I see one ha. Also yes the web design market is big however unless you want to target naive small time businesses you will need some programing and hopefully design skills before you start off.

As for other ideas, well I would suggest creating your own brand. Even if you want to do marketing, set up a branded site giving info about yourself etc. It does not need to have a ton of info, my portfolio is a single page layout. I would suggest just find what you enjoy most then provide info, products and gather a community who share those interests. The internet is also full of false hope, do not go near surveys, pyramid schemes etc.

Oh and just noticed this is in survival, do not expect to have interenet access in a surivial situation lol, but gathering up some money before hand I guess might be helpful.

edit on 3-12-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

the internet IS a gold mine...
full of people trying to make a buck off of YOU.
it's possible, but you have to be looking "outside of the box"...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If you're just starting out on the Internet "money trail" then be prepared for a lot of disappointments, and ther spending of a fair amount of money, along the way...

I was fortunate to start my online ventures around 14 years ago, and now make a steady monthly income from it, but it's an ever changing landscape, so what works today may not work so well tomorrow.

I build & host websites for businesses as well as create sites that are soley designed to earn 'click' revenue with AdSense, Clickbank & Amazon. The most consistant money I earn is from the adult market, which pays me a good income every 2 weeks. I wouldn't say that it's so easy now though as this market is well and truly flooded.

The rest of money comes from networking businesses with technology companies, and this area continues to grow for me.

It's certainly not easy getting started but if you stick at it, and don't put all your eggs in one basket, then anything is possible.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Earning a living on the internet is quite easy, and very cheap to get started......how do I know?

That's how I make my living

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

edit on 3/12/11 by asen_y2k because: (Posted by acident on the wrong thread)

edit on 3/12/11 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

But is there a way to make money without knowing much about programming etc?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Absolutely!

I know a little programming, but the methods I use to make money online require no programming skills whatsoever.

Think wordpress and weebly.com.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh my dream job. To be a youtube star. Only problem is that you need a really good idea that attracts alot of hits and isn't a one video thing. Like "kids react" or tobygames/tobuscus etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Well, once I tried to build a wordpress blog to advertise clickbank products, it just did not get ranked by google, $100 down the drain

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
reply to post by Argyll

Well, once I tried to build a wordpress blog to advertise clickbank products, it just did not get ranked by google, $100 down the drain

$100???

What for?.......wordpress sites are free to build, the only cost should be for hosting and a domain name, when I create a site it typically costs around £30 for a domain name and 2 years hosting.

What was the subject matter of your blog, and how did your domain name relate to it? also what clickbank products where you promoting that related to your blog content?
edit on 3/12/2011 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It is everybody's dream to get something for nothing or get rich quick.
As long as people believe that they can attain this, there will be millions out there spending what cash they do have in half baked schemes.
No stats but I would guess just about as many will lose their money chasing a fruitless dream.
Some may, either lucky or connected, but an overwhelming majority won't.
Just get a job and buy some land, build your home and furnish your fields with flora and fauna.
Then work like the rest of the world.
If somehow you win a kazillion dollars along the way, then you can do what you like.
Until then you are a victim to the commercial markets.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Believe me when I say.....making money on the internet is not a get rich quick scheme!

It's hard work, you have to be very disciplined and it most certainly is a proper job.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Bluehost
unlimited hosting for a year

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Website, build it, add original content, add adverts via adsense.
Make YT video's, become a partner, add more adverts. Build up subscribers, keep adding videos. Ker-ching!
Start another YT Channel and repeat the process. Ker-ching, ker-ching!

Oh and make sure you've got a half-decent original idea. Because competition on YT and the web is hardcore now.
Especially with pesky wikipeadia!

edit on 4-12-2011 by WatchRider because: typo

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
You don't make a site/blog and rank it to #1 in Google in short time.

It takes LOTS of knowledge and lots to learn.

As for "programming knowledge"...the big gurus who make thousands and thousands every day/week are mostly outsourcing. If you need software or a site, you outsource to some indian guys who do the work for a few bucks. It's simply how it is.

You dont sit there weeks coding and designing (which is time where you dont make money)...if someone can do the job for $50 in 3 days. It's about thinking WHAT you do and what ROI (return of investment) you get for it compared to the time/work you spend.

But that being said, it helps TREMENDOUSLY if you *can* code, design sites, install wordpress sites etc.

But then you still need a feel for "marketing", writing sales pages which make people buy...let alone the knowledge you need if you want to rank high in Google.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i have a friend in florida he startet his own hosting biseniz i dont know how muth he gets but you can always ask for info on his site www.greendragonhosting.com

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

2. Secondly, I came about the fact, that if you are an expert in a subject matter you could write a book. Websites like Clickbank will host the book and many thousands of people will advertise your book in exchange for a commission when a copy gets sold.

For selling on clickbank you do not need to be a vendor (i am one tho)...but it's more common to sell as an affiliate and promote someone else's product.

Commissions on clickbank range anywhere from 50% - 75% (!)..this means you get 75% of the earnings and the vendor does in fact make less than what you make with every affiliate sale.

But then its on you to promote and sell or spend money on ads on Google etc.

All you need is a website, make a review or similar..and find good selling products on clickbank and sell on your site(s). The huge majority of products on clickbank is digital products like ebooks and software.

Another interesting area is what is called "CPA" (cost per action)..which is not selling digital products as an affiliate, but mostly getting paid for leads. (Like emails, zips, adresses etc.)

The advantage is that leads are WAY easier to get than making an actual sale. You drive traffic to a site and then promote something where the visitor only enters their email/zip/address etc. - and you get paid for every captured, valid lead.

In the finance/loan area (and in some areas like birth defect lawsuits )..leads CAN pay as much as $90 per single address/lead...in the birth defect lawsuit niche actual $300-$400 per SINGLE captured lead.

Now imagine you have a site (or email list)...and you drive several hundreds or thousands to your site per day...and a percentage of those people enter their information. Then you can see that some people do make indeed THOUSANDS every single day on the internet.

Another area is having a high traffic site and doing "Adsense" (Google ads)...like here on this forum. You get paid for every click on an ad...this also varies greatly depending on the niche...it can be a few cents/click up to $50/click in SOME very expensive niches (financial etc.). You might want to ask the site owner here what he makes every day from ads

edit on 4-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Don't go into design / programming if you do not have talent. There is so much competition that you will not succeed on the international market.

Do something niche. That's all I can say. Something special and 'weird'. It will succeed.

Think outside the box indeed. Don't look into the digital direction necessarily. Open a webshop selling something strange, but niche. This is what I currently do.

Open a PTC site. When people see $$$ they are unstoppable. Done this, made several thousands dollars and quit. All within a few months time.

If you are persistent and if you want to generate fair amounts of money then you will, if you keep options running at all times. That's my advice. Be creative.
edit on 5/12/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
1) Make a site that promotes "How to make big money with the internet- $10".
2) Spam links everywhere.
3) When someone sends you $10, send them an e-mail that says:
4) Return to step 1.

Or....

1) Make a small, sheet metal stencil that looks vaguely like the face of Jesus.
2) Using a torch, lightly burn the face of Jesus on a slice of toast.
3) Sell toast on ebay.
4) Repeat as many times as possible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join