It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Counties Required to go After Minors For Parent's Debt(Once They're of Age)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I knew California was broke, but I had no idea it was this bad. This is completely unacceptable.

SAN FRANCISCO — In 2008, when Jamie Hartley was 16 years old, her family was overpaid a total of $766 in welfare benefits.

But now Riverside County is demanding that Hartley repay the debt and it intends to "intercept" her next state income tax refund to get the money.

California welfare regulations for years have allowed, and even required, counties to go after minors for the debts of their parents, state officials told the Associated Press.

Attorneys for a Hartley and a Fresno man who filed suit Nov. 23 to try to stop the practice say they believe thousands of young people throughout the state are being unfairly required to repay millions of dollars in welfare money that mistakenly or fraudulently was obtained by caregivers or guardians.

Source

This is cruel and inhumane.

Have things gotten this bad in the free world?

Officials at the California Department of Social Services, which administers the welfare program called CalWORKS, said they do not track the number of children required to make such payments. The state's 58 counties recouped $61.5 million for the fiscal year ending June 30. The counties reported $133 million in overpayments for the same time period.

"The department is sensitive to this overpayment collection issue. However, state law does not allow for latitude when it comes to the recoupment of overpayments of public assistance benefits," said spokesman Michael Weston. "Counties first seek recovery from the adults associated with the case. When those efforts are fully exhausted, the county is required to seek recoupment of overpayments from any individual that was an aided member of a family..."

I'm against people purposely cheating the system but if the system screws up and overpays a family they should have a repayment plan directed towards the legal guardian who gets the check and leave the dependents alone.

This is almost as bad as going after a dead person's family members for debts that are due.
edit on 3-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: title

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

They CANNOT force her to pay debts that are not hers.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

It's morally wrong, but it's legal in California.

I couldn't believe it when I first read the article.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I dont get it. How is this legal? It is not legal in Oklahoma.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
And people still live in Cali because?????????????????????

Get the hell out of there......

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

This is Financial terrorism by the government.

Was it this bad before Arnold Schwarzenegger in California?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
so wait.. when I over pay, or dont receive the correct amount of change during a purchase, does this mean I can go back and demand my money? I remember in 2004 i didn't receive the correct change when I went to the grocery store, therefor, I overpaid them... I guess I'll just write them a letter and demand my change..

seems like an apropriate assimile

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
WTH, well one more reason I'd never live in Cali....it's like Florida only bigger and more people. No thanks, I have had enough of FL and their crazy laws!

HOW can this be legal? How can you go after another person for debt that isn't your own? It isnt her responsibility, it's her parents and it's also not her fault the govt overpaid her parents. Funny how when they OWE YOU, you are screwed and will never see it yet when they say you owe them look out they will dock your pay or taxes.....Uncle Sam still owes me my 700 bucks he took out of my income tax 5yrs ago and it was their error. Have I seen that money? Hell no and I never will!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

If we base our logic on their actions, your theory is bang on

Too bad the common citizens aren't as worthy as the government.

We are liable for THEIR mistakes.

Live at your own risk!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You're so right. I remember once I screwed up my taxes and I paid them back right away, but when they screwed up my medical premiums (B.C. to Ontario, Canada) it took a lot of effort to get my money back. It was downright painful.

This has to be illegal somehow yet they do it. It's amazing how much BS people will take once they get used to it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have personally been a victim of this practice twice in our fair state. Not only will they go after ANYONE they think can have a hand in paying them, they will charge up to 10 percent additions for collection notices and other expenses. The reason this is legal is because we the people cannot change the laws because they are there for our repression and the law-writers and law-enforcers protection.

"Let us never forget that everything Hitler did was legal"
Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

They went after you two separate times and charged you interest too?

edit on 3-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Yes. The first one was an "overpayment" on unemployment benefits, the second was an "overpayment" of food stamps. These were concidered judgements and didn't go away with our bankruptcy. They took our income tax refund for three years till it was payed off. I of course disputed it; especially since it was an increase of nearly ten percent is why it took so long to pay

I admit i made mistakes: Leaving a job to take care of a dying uncle, stretching myself financially to the point i went to the state for help; thinking my state could or would help.

Also i dont believe they have to be a certain age if the parents have previously signed for credit for the youth; However now I cannot find anything to prove that so please help me in finding the truth to this as I hate to have given out misinformation to someone.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

I'm sorry to hear about the BS they put you through.

Regrettably I'm unable to help find the answer to your question because I'm Canadian and unfamiliar with most American law. But it sounds like California will allow just about any tactic to collect a "debt".
edit on 3-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Something is wrong here and the facts do not quite add up.
If someone claims you owe them money, they must show contract to pursue in court.
Heck even with contract, some companies and gumments will not pursue as it would cost more to take it to court.
We are not getting the full story.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
It's morally wrong, but it's legal in California..

'Wrong' and 'California'. Seems those two words go together a lot - and in many different aspects.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

This is the full story. California allows counties to go after dependents of people who received over payments of benefits. There is even a member in the thread who claims to have this happen to them twice.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of their story but I'm going in good faith here.

There are other examples of this if you search for it.

I just noticed you are in California. Perhaps you can help us look into this If this is incorrect information I would like to know, regrettably I'm confident this is happening.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Few weeks ago Dunkin Donuts gave my girlfriend the wrong change. It was off by 10$ dollars. So no I didn't let that slide. I went down there with her and we got her 10$.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I knew California was broke

I think you forgot a word... California is MORALLY broke.

Not to mention all the scum they elect year after year... Pelosi, Feinstein, Waxman, etc... passing unconstitutional laws again and again... letting the feds arrest people for marijuana when it was voted legal in the state... giving welfare to millions of illegals, bankrupting the state...

California is a hell hole.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yes I am in california. I would also be willing to give my information so all can see that I am truthful about what has happened, or I am mistaken about my facts. I have been to court twice over this so I am pretty sure I am not mistaken, however I have been wrong before.

Also to address the poster about the contracts, I have a previous rental company saying that I owe them some money. I have in my posession an undoctored rental agreement that clearly states that we do not. The rental company, and the collection agency both say that it does not matter that they will go forward and report this to my credit reports. No courts, no judgments and no refuting this. In this case my only recourse is to take them to court and prove that they are trying to collect a false debt.
So either way i have to pay to stop this "legal" extorsion. Thanks for trying and I love canadians.

On the same note I would love to be mistaken about this but I am positive the state does this.
edit on 4-12-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: post script

top topics

<<   2 >>

join