It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality is NOT infinite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ive been doing a lot of thinking on an old thread I came across that got a lot of attention here. Now the concept itself is by its own nature is both plausible and impossible to prove.
But its flawed thinking IMO and can be proven by simple thought.
Lets say for arguments sake that whatever conceivable action we can imagine exists within its own omniverse, That would make all possible outcomes infinite, yes?
So in turn, the general consensus would be that our own conscious thought, creates its own reality, and vise versa.

Disproving it is easy.

If I could imagine that I had $1M cash right now...somewhere, within the multiverse I would have $1M cash.
BUT also thinking that someone within that same multiverse is imagining the same thing but for me here and now, would also be conceivable as it falls under the possibilities category.
But alas...I'm here, now, and $1M short.

Reality is FINITE, and so is conscious thought.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

Interesting theory, I'm not sure if I can grasp the concept though.

Yes we can...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
What if every time you made a choice, a parallel universe or split in the self and timeline occurs? I didn't make that up, some one else did. Would that make reality and conscious thought infinite? Infinite choices. I might not 'get' what you're conveying. I haven't read the other thread. Nice thinking, though! Can you expand on it more?
edit on 3/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
OP, thanks for bringing this up.

I think by involving the $1M example, it teaches us that money doesn't really mean anything.

If I imagine I don't exist in one (or more) of the multi-versus....Does that mean I just killed "myself"?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
OP, thanks for bringing this up.

I think by involving the $1M example, it teaches us that money doesn't really mean anything.

If I imagine I don't exist in one (or more) of the multi-versus....Does that mean I just killed "myself"?

Exactly!
But can you imagine what its like to consciously NOT exist? Take some time and think about that for a second...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

If you had awareness of your other selves, it might. You most likely can't pop into another reality for tea and be back here for dinner, I bet. Who knows? Not I, that's for sure! Just playing with ideas here...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515
But can you imagine what its like to consciously NOT exist? Take some time and think about that for a second...

"Form is emptiness; emptiness is form; form is not other than emptiness; emptiness is not other than form."
~from the Heart Sutra~
Prajna Paramita

That's the Tibetan Buddhist core concept about the true nature of reality

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I disagree consciousness is finite the multi-verse is not.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
What if you took the question like this:

Is there anything you can think of that doesn't exist, or doesn't have the possibility to exist?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Reality is an infinite as the mind..
You want to find the end of the inverse... First you must find the end of your mind...k)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Absolutely. In fact this thought experiment is fairly common and is most often encountered in a 100 level Philosophy class.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

This only demonstrates your ability to move through reality is finite, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

u r suggesting what is already known, that other limit u, that is how the result is finite as objectively u cant b but one out of all others ones to stick on

but this is not the truth while it is the truth of ur thought which is not true

truth that made that thought possible, as justified it fully absolutely, is what freedom is relative to truth but not the truth really, when anything is only absolutely so never relative, in objective concept or objective reality

so truth is first object
then objective
then free

then object is more since before truth, so object can b without being objective nor free

objective is less then object but more then freedom, but objective can b without free while it cant b without object

free is less then both, so free cant b without objective neither without object, then free to b true must b conscious move within all while seeking to reach true free stand out of all

while in absolute perspective we can say that freedom is superior to both, bc within itself only one always choice constancy out of all possible, u cant b really if u r not a liar out of all but one

now logics extensions of that say, that object which is the most since first always, became objective when objective was real and became free when objective was free
then object sense of now is reaching to be absolutely free as finite one terms out of all
and objective sense of now is already one freedom finished in absolute terms out of all

but then what we will have always in future, is the object infinity of before objective
and freedom finity after objective freedom

that is why as i always say my sense is to separate objective from freedom in absolute terms of what exist

any object and objective realisation must be given to truth
while any free stand constant must be out of all as for subject individuality true right

where object before i guess will be resolved from that conscious realisations
then object is what give all values to freedom individuality
while it would be really out of all, since all become of it free that it is not it
but then it would be really free too truly out of all freedom

which would justify existence finition character, that explain how any free sense meaning truly truth must realize it and live through individually

truth is freedom

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

if u look right at that equation, truth is freedom, u can see how it is an absolute perfect sentence

what is absolutely objective is what is absolutely possible, perfect sentence that prove absolute truth character

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515
If I could imagine that I had $1M cash right now...somewhere, within the multiverse I would have $1M cash.
BUT also thinking that someone within that same multiverse is imagining the same thing but for me here and now, would also be conceivable as it falls under the possibilities category.
But alas...I'm here, now, and $1M short.

Reality is FINITE, and so is conscious thought.

Well, I am 100% positive you are not right about this topic, unfortunatly I can't just telepathically show you the experience I had. So instead, I will try to explain it in another way.

Anyway, it's also important to note there are two types of infinity. I found this out on fractal forums, and IMO studying fractals can provide to be useful when visualizing otherwise abstract arguments.

Anyway, for example the Mandelbrot set which is an infinite pattern that never repeats its. While it is infinite and never repeats itself, you will never find certain designs in it. For example you'd never be able to find a picture of your bedroom inside of it. But, alas, it goes on infinity.

If you are not familiar, here is a "zoom" into the mandlebrot, which is just a mathematical equation.

So, if you can look at reality the same way, that disproves your argument against infinity.

I personally think the type of infinity you are trying to refute actually exists, I suggest you look into astral projection. But regardless, I just recommend doing some introspection...
edit on 3-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion

This only demonstrates your ability to move through reality is finite, nothing more.

Really? prove me wrong. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, don't be so quick to dismiss what ive said.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I don't think think there is any concrete evidence that can prove you right or wrong, it's all speculation on both sides.

One may think reality is infinite and entirely subjective, while another may think it is entirely concrete and objective.

One or the other could be right, but any physical evidence for finite reality can be explained away as illusory by a subjective thinker, and any spiritual or subjective experience like what I see as proof as infinite reality, can be just as easily explained as an illusion created by a concrete reality from the view point of an objective thinker.

So, in the end, just because someone can't prove you wrong, does not make you right, nor does it make you wrong.
edit on 3-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

top topics

join