It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the world's heaviest insect.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I know God created insects, but......

That thing is repulsive.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
interestingly, the maori (indigenous nz language) name for it is wetapunga, loosely translated it means "the god of ugly things"..

(from the article)
edit on 2/12/11 by mzungu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm sure its a high source of protein

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
This is bad news for snowmen everywhere

Best...post...ever....

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Wow, that's one heck of a bug. I think this thread stands out in a positive and great way. Many of us are used to reading doom and gloom on this forum, and I think many more could agree that reading all of these terrible conspiracies is not conducive to finding joy in life.

I had forgotten what it was like to stop and stand in awe of nature's wonderful mysteries. Thank you for sharing this.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I wish I could pay for extra stars to give to you.

would bigger mushroom bodies mean more Kenyon cells? Would the difference be noticeable?
What is the power of its kick?
Is this not one of the most adorable things you've ever seen?

edit on 2-12-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
well I always thought the goliath beetle was heaviest insect.

only one way to find out ..............

FIGHT..............

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

Hey girls I have been called an insect in my time by the ladies
so lets hook up lol I will even eat a carrot like the Bug for you

jk (Had a beer )

roflmao are your eyes as big and black and round, cuz thats really what catches our interest, also, you dont just have to eat carrots, but walk around on a lil leash

im j/k too i mean i have a boyfriend, i would never *make* someone walk on a leash, that has to be offered

Originally posted by zatara
reply to post by tarifa37

Wow.....an alternative proteine source. How could all those in the field biologist miss this heavy baby?

sec.line.

and I was just having a conversation with my boyfriend how beneficial the protein source of these gigantic insects would be to certain industries
I am now going to become very silent and back away... Im new here... do not need any angry ATS members after me lol

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by davespanners
This is bad news for snowmen everywhere

Best...post...ever....

i know right!!! you cant go wrong with giant insects eating carrots off a snomans face it just doesnt get any f'n better than that!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

As far as insects go. Just a beautiful specimen overall. Very cool and unique. That guy definitely has an eye for detail being a Park Ranger. I would have never noticed it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
this is going to be aired tonight on coast to coast with george nory...

Coast to Coast AM 640
Former park ranger Mark Moffett found the heaviest ever recorded giant weta after two days of searching on a remote New Zealand island. At 71 grams the immense cricket-like insect outweighs a sparrow and is three times heavier than a mouse... www.coasttocoastam.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The insects may be the only creatures left on earth if WW3 happens. They are such resilient things able to stick out the worst living conditions.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

That insect must have a big brain,maybe its intelligent,its stayed alive long enough too grow that big without getting eaten,love the ryu hayabusa pic by the way,how do i create my own pic?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld
this is going to be aired tonight on coast to coast with george nory...

Coast to Coast AM 640
Former park ranger Mark Moffett found the heaviest ever recorded giant weta after two days of searching on a remote New Zealand island. At 71 grams the immense cricket-like insect outweighs a sparrow and is three times heavier than a mouse... www.coasttocoastam.com...

Thanks for that although looking at the page you linked there is no mention of them discussing this on the show just that its a Highlighted Article on their home page.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
i absolutely love insects
nothing to be afraid of.
And yeah i find it really cute

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMNISLASHER
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

That insect must have a big brain,maybe its intelligent,its stayed alive long enough too grow that big without getting eaten,love the ryu hayabusa pic by the way,how do i create my own pic?

im new here and i was told to go to tools, and profile, you must upload and size your pics ect. hope that helps, i know you werent talking to me
but oh well...
there is also more info in the place where you do your introductions.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Jiminy Cricket!

....sorry I had to.

On a side note, I wonder if Bear Grylls would eat it?
edit on 3-12-2011 by JohnnySasaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalietruth
The insects may be the only creatures left on earth if WW3 happens. They are such resilient things able to stick out the worst living conditions.

Just to point out this is a myth, the reason they last longer than us is due to their cells are not as complicated as our's and they have less than us, they would still die due to the radiation.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
reply to post by QueenofWeird

you know thats a zergling right? marriage is out of the questions you can only submit before the swarm

Never heard of them. Where can I meet them? Get myself a harem of sexy critters

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

WOW....He is amazing.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That thing is amazing!...I would love to see something like that in real life. I can't imagine what kind of crop damage alot of those things could do.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join