It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the world's heaviest insect.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This insect is incredible I certainly wouldn't want to find it crawling up my wall.

A nature-lover has revealed how he spent two days tracking down a giant insect on a remote New Zealand island – and got it to eat a carrot out of his hand.
Mark Moffett’s find is the world's biggest insect in terms of weight, which at 71g is heavier than a sparrow and three times that of a mouse.
The 53-year-old former park ranger discovered the giant weta up a tree and his real life Bug's Bunny has now been declared the largest ever found.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
sweet

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I bet it ate the whole carrot. Im a little intimidated I gotta say.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I would need to put on my boots for that baby!!! No paper towell would work with this one!!!

Almost like you could keep this sucker as a pet or something......

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Saw this article earlier..

It looks disgusting lol.

If it can eat a whole carrot, imagine what it would do to your finger.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If I saw that thing and it came near me, it would become friends with my shovel - I hate bugs

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think he's very cool. Eating from the hand
makes him like a pet. Thank you OP - nature
is amazing.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

According to the article it could eat it fairly quickly although they didnt want the poor thing to get indigestion so they put it back in the tree after taking the picture. Interesting feature is that the monster insect can FLY, now that would scare the life out of me if it flew into my house

edit on 1-12-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am so not a fan of bugs but WOW. That guy is awesome. Ad yeah...him sitting there noshing on that carrot is intimidating as hell.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Awwwww, I think it's cute

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

According to the article it could eat it fairly quickly although they didnt want the poor thing to get indigestion so they put it back in the tree after taking the picture. Interesting feature is that the monster insect can FLY, now that would scare the life out of me if it flew into my house

It can FLY too?

Good grief.

It looks like summat mutated from out of a movie.

For people saying it looks cute..No.

Kittens & puppies are cute.

This is not

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

i was just reading up on wetas. It seems that most are flightless.

I don't see any wings or wing covers on this specimen that is pictured, so I am in doubt of the listed 7 inch wingspan. I found mention that the giant weta can inflict a painful bite.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Oh come on... it's wicked cute munching on that carrot... what a treat

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It has a beautiful and blissful face. Nature is evolving. Edit to say it almost looks like a lobster, wonder if more creatures are walking out of the ocean since it is so diseased and contaminated?
edit on 1-12-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

WOW....thanks for the article and pic OP.

While looking at it is a bit repulsing you have to admire and somewhat be in awe of (insert prefered religious diety or natural genetic anomaly) cause that sucker is HUGE....and the fact that it ate from human hands! Just amazing.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Cover it in chocolate and he's good to go!

+55 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is bad news for snowmen everywhere

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Fun in the sun with guns are why they invented Paint ball guns. That little beast is why they invented paint balls which can be placed in the freezer overnight and turned into something more useful for pest control. Wow.... Lets throw him and a little camel spider in the ring. All we need is someone to handle the betting action and I think we have ourselves a new sport!
edit on 1-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
OMG that thing is massive and I will be the first one to welcome our new Insect overlords

(covering all bases)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join