It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama legalizes horse slaughter.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I've had horse meat while in South America. I thought it was delicious better then most steaks. If they do start selling it in the US which I doubt and its a cheaper and healthier then buying beef I will do it in a heart beat.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by Realm52

I hope you feel the same way about them being used for racing! So people can bet on them, and if they don't perform or get injured, guess what? Bullet in the head.

They should be eaten if necessary. Like dogs. Otherwise let's not eat the animals that actually communicate and form bonds with us.
edit on 30-11-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

Dogs are carnivores, not good for eating. And they are mans best friend. Sorry, but if you eat cow, a horse should be no different.

I have owned horses and have one standing out my back door right now looking at me to come feed her. I love horses, but as stated earlier, they are getting shipped off to Mexico for slaughter, since its banned here.
You can't sell a horse without worrying who you are really selling her to, since the buyers of these slaughter horses are cunning.

The economy is creating a booming slaughter economy right now. A bale of alfalfa is $14 in my town, and I'm cheaper than some areas. People can't afford to feed them anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I eat primarily vegetarian, but I am a chef by trade and wouldn't limit what I eat.I've got to taste what I'm making I hate to say this, but cat and dog are absolutely fabulous. So are crickets. It's cultural taboo...which meat one is forbidden to eat. I wouldn't eat any horses from America. This sounds like another shady move by the government.

One of the most barbaric dishes you can eat is oysters. They are dying as you eat them...killed just for you minutes before serving. Dozens of innocent oysters. That, I have trouble with. I don't do oysters. With most other meats, you don't have to actually kill it as a chef. If I had to kill the chicken myself, I would find a new profession...like interior design or something more morally correct.

edit on 30/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is a sad day for us advocates against this. Not only concerning for the horses, but as with human consumption of the meat if people will be turning to it as an alternative, etc. A lot of the chemicals in wormer, vaccines, medications and more., are not fit for food animals, therefore should not be in the meat humans use. In the past I did a study and report on horse slaughter. I have seen the videos and what is done when a employee of slaughter factory does not know how to "put down" a horse, not to mention care for the horses different needs compared to others.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Thank you for a voice or reason and sanity.
I've been part of the horse industry all my life and I can tell you first hand - this will alleviate suffering, NOT PROLONG IT!
If you don't want to eat horse? Fine. No one is forcing you.
Leave it at that.

peace

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
As a horse owner I am torn about this, Bluesma did a GREAT job in explaining the conditions that the horses shipped to Mexico are subject to before an inglorious end to their life. Those condition are beyond the realm of a demon's mind, the reasons why we should stop that are legion and need no explanation for any being with an ounce of compassion in them.

As for the slaughtering of horses for human consumption, that is beyond my consideration for me as my horse (and all horses I've known) is NOT a stock animal whose only purpose was to be slaughtered for flesh. My spotted draft has a personality, he has a life, he has intelligence, he makes decisions, he adheres to me even when should the herd bolt. Max is no more food than I was raised to be food.

Americans are funny about our animals; if there is a romance to the animal it is unlikely to ever be on our plate. When you say horse, many of us think of the jobs the horse (and its brethren) performed for us in draft/farming roles, transportation roles, and sporting roles. I think of my boy Max, I think of Barbaro, I think of horse drawn wagons at the mention of horse and not one of those makes me think of eating horse flesh. I'd no sooner eat a dog than a horse. Both work, are companions, are friends and are not food for man. Cattle, pigs, and chicken are raised solely to be meals.

I know I'm a hypocrite when I say that I won't eat horse when I eat other animals, but I can't and won't eat horse, it would be like eating a family member. I don't eat pig flesh because they're too smart to be food.

Derek

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by JonoEnglish

The only meat I wouldn't eat is Great Ape meat because they are to much like us.

You might want to reconsider pork. It's rumored that the Egyptians did some gene splicing to make pigs part human. Did you ever question why the human body never rejects pig valves implanted in the heart? It's because pigs are part human. My esoterically minded friends in real life can't handle pork because of that interesting piece of information. You won't find that on Snopes.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Wow interest point there and seeing the state of my Girlfriends lately I believe you

But I don't eat pork much because I looked into the eye's of a Pig once and they have the twinkle that a Great Ape has, it freaked me out..But they taste soooooo good so sometimes I have to have a bacon buttie

edit on 30-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Let's not even speak of dolphins....they are very, very smart!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Go back a page or too and read my post about the Dolphin in Preston

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I see your point. Fur that comes from naturally deceased animals is totally different than mass slaughtered too. Usually people act like the government does in relation to hemp about such issues. We can't use hemp for paper and rope because it looks like the stuff that people smoke. American bird seed is the only bird seed on the planet without hemp seed. Hemp for that purpose has NO THC. It's a blanket statement. They can't differentiate.

Oh no! I thought of a bad thing. What if cannibals say, "Well, it was a dead man...."?!

edit on 30/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

What's wrong with eating horse? In the USA there is a long tradition of the bond between Horse and Man. Personally I grew up on a Horse farm and there is no difference between a Horse and a Dog in my opinion. Horses are very intelligent animals, and when you work with them you develop a bond, again, no different than with a Dog. Eating a Horse is barbaric.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
PETA Sees Benefit to US Horse Slaughter

“To reduce suffering, there should be a ban on the export of live horses, even if that means opening slaughterhouses in the US again,” the group says in a statement.

For horses, exporting means “a frightening, long, and miserable journey to Canada or Mexico to meet their end in slaughterhouses there,” PETA notes. Such travel is “often in vehicles with low ceilings in which horses must hunch over, slipping and sliding on their own waste.” For the group, another benefit of the legislation is that it will draw attention to the practice of horse slaughter, the Times notes.

I think I just saw a pig flyby my window. PETA actually got something RIGHT for once.

peace

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Or... make it illegal to ship a horse across the border to be slaughtered? Stupid PETA.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
My uncle runs a farm and has slaughtered many many horses. Now he can sell the meat.

our local grocery store is promising to start carrying it. Course us "rednecks" a lot of us have eaten it, possum, coon, frog legs, gator tail, deer, etc so Horse isn't disgusting at all... Course our coonarse brothers in Louisiana eat overgrown rats 'nutria'
so we used to eating whatever is cheap.

Beef has gotten so super expensive in the south it's crazy, so horse will be a lot cheaper if my Uncle is correct in his estimates.

but who knows

I've had horse before that he's slaughtered in past from broken legs and such.

They aren't as tender as a cow which has more fat content to help keep the meat tender, but horse does make a hell of a stew or chili, or hamburger/sausage, taste really good

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
it's food get over it... if you eat beef, chicken, or any other source of meat then you are a hypocrite...

horse meat is absolutely delicious and lean just like caribou, deer, moose and other great meats... I actually prefer them to beef and chicken...

One does not eat their allies. Horses enabled the Colonization and establishment of this Country. Even though we don't need them, we owe it to them to honor their assistance. Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. That is why eating dog and cat is such a taboo in the West. Personally, I think it might be best to outlaw the consumption of mammal meat and only consume fish and poultry(dino ancestors taste good).

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
My uncle runs a farm and has slaughtered many many horses. Now he can sell the meat.

our local grocery store is promising to start carrying it. Course us "rednecks" a lot of us have eaten it, possum, coon, frog legs, gator tail, deer, etc so Horse isn't disgusting at all... Course our coonarse brothers in Louisiana eat overgrown rats 'nutria'
so we used to eating whatever is cheap.

Beef has gotten so super expensive in the south it's crazy, so horse will be a lot cheaper if my Uncle is correct in his estimates.

but who knows

I've had horse before that he's slaughtered in past from broken legs and such.

They aren't as tender as a cow which has more fat content to help keep the meat tender, but horse does make a hell of a stew or chili, or hamburger/sausage, taste really good

You know you just proved every single anti-south Statement correct.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join