It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama legalizes horse slaughter.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
SOURCE

"Polls show more than 70 percent of Americans oppose horse slaughter and few if any eat horse meat"

"Let’s forget for the moment that candidate Barack Obama in 2008 pledged to keep the ban on horse slaughter permanent"

This is disgusting. Why do the people who voted for this to come back feel that we need it? The article said that horse farms never had over 170 jobs so that can not be the reason. Is america hurting that much for jobs that we can spend millions for 100?
edit on 30-11-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit-- Please use EX Tags for external content.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Millions of horses have been slaughtered for decades.
It’s better if they die for a purpose and feed starving people or something then die for no reason.

That doesn’t mean I think horses should be killed, but I don’t think the department of interior is going to stop that any time soon.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Horses vote primarily GOP.
Obama just wants to get rid of the opposition.

Now if he could only do the same thing to the Tea Party. . . . . .

BTW, sad, sick and sorry story.
S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
it's food get over it... if you eat beef, chicken, or any other source of meat then you are a hypocrite...

horse meat is absolutely delicious and lean just like caribou, deer, moose and other great meats... I actually prefer them to beef and chicken...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Did you know Jack In The Box almost got closed down in the 70's after they got caught using horse meat? If you ever ate at Jack In The Box in the 70's there is a good chance you ate horse meat and never even knew it.

I admit, eating horse meat sounds gross... But then again, so does eating squid, liver and other such things that lots of people eat... I doubt many places will go out of their way to start using horse meat.... If anyone would, it would be the fast food industry though....

Would I eat horse meat? Yeah, I probably would. At least just try it. We eat all kinds of gross things every day and I bet if you knew just exactly what is in all that junk food we eat.... Well, horse meat might not sound so bad.
edit on 30-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Here in the UK people look at you with horror when you say I think horse meat.
I lived in Holland and I loved it.
I don't understand anyone who eat's meat and say's they wouldn't eat *insert animal name here* it's all the same, it all come's from a live animal.
If they didn't want to be eaten they shouldn't have tasted soooo good

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Studies have shown that when slaughter plants are opened in rural areas, violent crime quickly rises. Think about it. Horses are sometimes cut into pieces while still alive and screaming. What kind of person would accept the minimum wage to engage in this horrific behavior? The question answers itself.

Why does no one seem to care about lies being told from the government[s]?

Second. Poor horses.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

no offence - but it always amusses me to here the indignant cry " eating that is disgusting / inhumane / cruel "

at the end of the day - its all meat , weather it lived as a chicken , a lamb , a dog , a cow , a horse , a deer - whatever

they all reduce to various cuts of meat

and if served anonymously - most will eat and enjoy - its the people who , when told - after the fact what they have just eaten claim " thats disgusting - i feel sick " and refuse seconds - are utter morons [ IMHO ]

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
go to india and offer beef and you'll be looked at in disgust...

go to a Muslim country and offer pork...

it's all a question of perspective... in all all animals are comestible and people are just little fussy whiners because they always got what they wanted in life..

don't eat for a few days and you'll see how fast you'll like the horse hamburger I'm dreaming of right now...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Existing Thread

I'm a little weirded out by this one too. Love horses.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I am a horse lover and horseowner, and am FOR this.

I do not eat horsemeat, and though where I am it can apparently be found somewhere because there are some raised primarily for that usage and I've heard many older generation folk still eat it (having had to during the war).

But horse slaughter plants are not primarily using the meat for human consumption, though I have found a percentage of it is shipped out to Belgium, the majority goes to pet foods.

The problems came up when the slaughter houses for horses in America were shut down. What happened is that Mexico got the horses to slaughter. They were paying good money for them too.

So thousands of horses were being trucked in horrendous conditions across the US to be sold to Mexican slaughterhouses, where the conditions and techniques are not controlled at all. Horses were being bought cheap at auctions just for this. With the current crisis, many horse owners are giving horses away because they can't afford upkeep, and they are going to Mexico, in trucks which are jam packed for days, without water or food, to be killed in inhumane and slow ways.

The methods of slaughter in the American houses was carefully controlled to be quick and painless. I have done research into this and the claims that the bolt is not reliable or effective are FALSE.

We always have too many backyard breeders, that make horses that cannot live with humans due to faulty or negiligent handling, we get ones with birthdefects because of inter-breeding, injuries that leave them handicapped and/or in constant pain, these will always exist, and letting them go out to countries that are not going to deal with them in a humane manner is immoral.
I also think it is immoral to not let their flesh go back into the cycle of nature and be consumed by other animals, as it would have been in the wild, if the predators were able to cull out these specimens as needed (for the good of the herd and genetic line).

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Horse meat is considered a delicacy in many countries, foremost among them, Italy. What's the big deal? They aren't rounding up mustangs and slaughtering them... If some people want to eat it, why should they not be allowed to? Other than gambling on them, a horse is not exactly a useful animal any more. In fact, cows are probably more useful because of their milk, and no one complains about killing THEM. Other than PETA.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
reply to post by Bluesma

Horse meat is considered a delicacy in many countries, foremost among them, Italy. What's the big deal? They aren't rounding up mustangs and slaughtering them... If some people want to eat it, why should they not be allowed to? Other than gambling on them, a horse is not exactly a useful animal any more. In fact, cows are probably more useful because of their milk, and no one complains about killing THEM. Other than PETA.

Well, I don't feel there IS anything wrong with it. I just haven't had any occasion to, though I live in France.
I am also for the mustang round ups- but that is for another thread.
I work cattle on horses, and I'll tell you they are extremely usefull in that area! Also for covering long distances in rocky mountainous areas where a quad, motorcycle, or car cannot.
The problem people have with eating them, of course, is because of the very deep emotional bonds they are capable of forming with us. Which in itself can be useful in life too.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

I hope you feel the same way about them being used for racing! So people can bet on them, and if they don't perform or get injured, guess what? Bullet in the head.

They should be eaten if necessary. Like dogs. Otherwise let's not eat the animals that actually communicate and form bonds with us.
edit on 30-11-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

It has nothing to do with being gross.... Its simply wrong.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
What next, dog meat?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
In an ideal world, meat would be grown in labs and all slaughter of higher animals would be banned, IMHO.

But this is real world, and as long as slaughter of pigs or cows is legal, I dont see why horses should have an exception.

It is important that the slaughter is not painful or stressfull for the animal, tough.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

I tried dog meat and it wasn't that bad, The only meat I wouldn't eat is Great Ape meat because they are to much like us.
This post has reminded me of a Fishmonger in Preston in the UK who went to the market and somehow a Dolphin was there, he offered some bloke £50 for it and took it back to his shop and thought how can I get rid of this dolphin by weekend? so he got a spike, cut up the dolphin into steaks and stuck it's head on a spike in the shop window with a sign saying "Dolphin steaks £2 per pound" .......within two hours of opening he had a crowd of people doing a sit down protest in his shop and within a month he had to shut down.
Waste of good meat really I mean it had been caught in the net's and was already dead so why not eat it?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

It has nothing to do with being gross.... Its simply wrong.

Again, what exactly is WRONG about eating horse meat? And please, no long animal rights speeches.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I'm eating horse right now. Yummy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join