It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't handle the truth!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just came across this and wanted to share here at ATS.

You can click back through previous editions and see the different covers/cover story for different regions. Sometimes they are all the same, more often they are not.

I understand the need to market to a different demographic, but this seems like something more to me.. Do they think the European/Asian/South Pacific covers would alienate the American People? Do they think it wouldn't sell in the USA? I believe they probably just want to minimize revolutionary thoughts and censor anything that shows people rising up against the government.

What do you think, ATS? Which issue would you be more likely to buy based on cover alone?

www.time.com...

edit on 28-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's just marketing and yes sure they "serve" their customers.

"Why the US will never save Afghanistan is just not what US time readers want to read is my guess.
www.time.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Great catch S & F

I wonder if outside of the covers are the contents the same or different as well? I understand the marketing behind it as well. The [November 21, 2011 | Vol. 178, No. ] cover shows 3 different covers. One directed to the US the other to Either China and or India both and the third everywhere else...

edit on 28-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The only place I've seen a Time magazine recently was at my barber shop.

Time magazine sales down

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I too wonder if the contents are the same. Looking at the most recent (still to come) issue, it looks like everything should be intact inside the magazine, but if they are editing the cover they might also be editing the content for each individual market.

And while this could all be shrugged off as marketing, who makes the decisions as to what cover/content goes to what regions, and how much influence do that region's governments have on that decision?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The anti-American, bias, 'leftwing', ink cowards @ TIME & Newsweek,Esquire mags. wouldn't know or print the "TRUTH" even if it bit'em in the ass.
That also goes for the NY & LATimes, Huffington Post-AOL and St.Peters Time& Austin American Statesman PolitiFact!

LIES INC.
edit on 28-11-2011 by truthRconsequences357 because: x-the

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This, to me, is a particularly interesting edition.

www.time.com...

It would seem taboo to paint Islam in a positive light here in the States.

Notice any edition promoting a political candidate is standardized for all regions.

Strange!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
TIME is propaganda no matter the language.
2nd

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't really know, truth to tell...

My guess, and that's all it is, is some sort of pc'ness that doesn't want to offend with the "graphic" photo... Not that we don't see worse on the television on a daily basis.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthRconsequences357
The anti-American, bias, 'leftwing', ink cowards @ TIME & Newsweek,Esquire mags. wouldn't know or print the "TRUTH" even if it bit'em in the ass.
That also goes for the NY & LATimes, Huffington Post-AOL and St.Peters Time& Austin American Statesman PolitiFact!

LIES INC.
edit on 28-11-2011 by truthRconsequences357 because: x-the

If you're going to read any news you need to round yourself out. Reading or watching only a couple of sources quickly radicalizes the thought process.

Any piece of news media is only as good as the BS detecting abilities of the reader. Personally I try not to limit my sources.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

In response to that statement I can tell you that most if not all news reported here (Holland) is sourced from either Reuters, AP or maybe a fellow news outlet such as BBC or CNN. Local stuff gets done by someone local but all international news is copy pasted and translated directly from the 1st 2 I mentioned in most cases.
ETA: As you state, multiple viewpoints to one and the same story are helpful, but if you buy all the papers here, you will see much the same story, tone and content in all of them. This is another reason I do not buy papers or have a TV (anymore). Well, I can't afford them either. That helps too.
edit on 28/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Interesting, I guess, but it's just Time magazine, a biased weekly that is having a hard time staying afloat in the Internet age. Newsweek has already been sold and in the pits. Time is following it into oblivion. Inertia is the only thing keeping these rags going these days. It's cheap to subscribe. The Age of the Magazine, at least as a paper product, is over. Some of it is just sad. Have you seen Scientific American lately? It's a shadow of its former self.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

But it is NOT copy paste my Dutch friend.... You will find that the pictures that your local newspapers print are totally different from their European counterparts.

So you will find a Spanish paper printing pictures of a train wreck WITH body parts laying around while the same picture is edited not to display the body parts but a left behind doll for a Dutch news paper. You will find the same image in a German newspaper with a broken watch on the tracks perhaps.

While I stated above it's all marketing it's very detailed and possibly designed by some architects behind the scenes.

Same why your Sour Apple doesnt' taste the same as the Sour Apple candies in say Lisbon

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

I was talking about the text though, not the pics.
No biggie. Clarification, I don't mean Time cos I've never seen that, just the newspaper reports.

edit on 28/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

In response to that statement I can tell you that most if not all news reported here (Holland) is sourced from either Reuters, AP or maybe a fellow news outlet such as BBC or CNN. Local stuff gets done by someone local but all international news is copy pasted and translated directly from the 1st 2 I mentioned in most cases.
ETA: As you state, multiple viewpoints to one and the same story are helpful, but if you buy all the papers here, you will see much the same story, tone and content in all of them. This is another reason I do not buy papers or have a TV (anymore). Well, I can't afford them either. That helps too.
edit on 28/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

It's the same here, most news stories are blasted by the wires and reprinted en masse for consumption.

Journalism is on it's death bed - "journalists" just report what they're told nowadays. The good ones are martyred. (See Julian Assange)

I still receive the local paper and subs to a couple of magazines (NatGeo, some craft mags, used to get Time). I still follow the news daily, but I agree with you that you don't need a tv or newspaper to get the real story.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hey, I think this is a good forum for this topic, but wanted to letcha know there's already a fairly large thread regarding the time magazine cover that was started on the 25th here.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Derf! I guess three really is a magic number.

new topics

top topics

join