It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too white to study medicine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Just some info of the SA Bill of rights.

1.Everyone is equal before the law and has the right to equal protection and benefit of the law.
2. Equality includes the full and equal enjoyment of all rights and freedoms. To promote the achievement of equality, legislative and other measures designed to protect or advance persons, or categories of persons, disadvantaged by unfair discrimination may be taken.
3.The state may not unfairly discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.
4.No person may unfairly discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds in terms of subsection (3). National legislation must be enacted to prevent or prohibit unfair discrimination.
5.Discrimination on one or more of the grounds listed in subsection (3) is unfair unless it is established that the discrimination is fair.
i. Discrimination based on affirmative action- when the discrimination is giving blacks, women or disabled persons opportunities, it is legal.
ii. Discrimination based on the inherent requirements of a job- For example, a person with poor eyesight would not be qualified to work as a pilot.
iii. Fair compulsory discrimination by law- South African law does not allow children younger than 15 to work and pregnant women cannot work 4 weeks before they have a child and 6 weeks after having a child.
iv. Discrimination based on productivity- if some workers do better work than others, the better workers will be promoted before the workers who are not as productive.

So discrimination is allowed if the above criteria is met.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidAsh
So discrimination is allowed if the above criteria is met.

I don't think there's any dispute about it being "allowed". The question is, is it racism?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Besides.. how reliable is this source? We're just going off something posted on the internet
edit on 29-11-2011 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

How about another example.

The university’s website clearly indicates that students will be recruited to reflect the national demography of South Africa. “Demography is used to bar learners from opportunities, because the government is placing huge pressure on the university to deliver black veterinary surgeons, even if this is at the expense of other students,” says Oberholzer.

Student with seven distinctions refused access to the University of Pretoria

edit on 11/29/2011 by qonone because: link

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think that now that we have a "black" (ok, 50% anyway) President it is time to retire "affirmative action" which is really a form of reverse discrimination. Are not people to be judged without consideration of their race or color??

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

Racism : 1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
2. Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

No not racism. Fair discrimination.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
a form of reverse discrimination.

Not to pick on you, but I hate that term. Discrimination is discrimination. If there's a reverse of discrimination, it would be the absence of discrimination.

Now we can defend the concept all we want, but let's call it what it is - racial discrimination. It's racist regardless of the direction.

Go back and read the above post about the SA Bill of Rights and tell me that's not an Orwellian doublespeak nightmare, assumed good intentions aside.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
They should be looking at grades, but unfortunately, they have to be PC to make all the colored people happy as well. It has been proven (Google the numbers online) that colored peoples have lower grade averages than white people. And of course if you mention that fact, you will be categorized as a racist. Oh boy, did I just mention that? I guess I’m a racist…

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This has little to do with race.

She lied on her application in hopes of being accepted due to diversity clauses.

The university must maintain the integrity of the application process and their students.

She got caught and is now trying to strongarm her way into the institution.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Aside from all that is wrong with this I think that in most of Europe it's illegal to ask for ones skin tone in any application form.

They probably do select in Europe on whatever country you are from.

They have to ask for the skin color. We wouldn't want to have more whites in the schools than blacks. That would be racist...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidAsh

The term racism is used as as a word meaning racial discrimination in colloquial speech. So while this institutionalised racial discrimination may not be based on black supremacy notion but feelings of guilt and jealousy, it is still institutionalised racial discrimination, and that is unacceptable in 21st century. Its collective punishment at best, which is also unacceptable.

Fair discrimination.

Fair discrimination based on race is an oxymoron.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

If she was honest she would not be accepted anyway. Because of her race. So this has everything to do with race.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Why can't people understand that making such a big issue out of race is only going to perpetuate and exacerbate any racial schism within society ? I know they may have good intentions in filling ''quotas'', but not only is this unfair on an applicant who gained her place on merit, but also completely counter-productive to any society's attempts at quelling racism.

There should be absolutely no need to ever ask the race of an applicant. Whatever happened to the principle of meritocracy ?

Meritocracy doesn't work.. sorry but it doesnt....

Though when have we ever had one?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by DJM8507

If she was honest she would not be accepted anyway. Because of her race. So this has everything to do with race.

Exactly.. the issue is that she LIED...

LIARS NEED NOT APPLY!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

If I knew that I would not be accepted when I am honest only due to my race, but have some chance to be accepted when I lie (if they dont discover it), I would lie too.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Meritocracy doesn't work.. sorry but it doesnt.

Citation needed.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Meritocracy doesn't work.. sorry but it doesnt....

Though when have we ever had one?

Meritocracy does work in most employment opportunities and academic pursuits.

It's ridiculous to have inferior candidates for an important position, as it has the potential to negatively impact on society, as a whole.

The process of awarding places at university, based on something as objective as grades or qualifications gained, can easily be done without the people assessing the applicants even being aware of the race of a prospective student.

If they're unaware of the race of the applicant, then it's impossible for them to make a decision based upon racial bias.

edit on 29-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Sadly this is a very real phenomenon.

My mother has friends that work for a prestigious school here in southern california who have validated these claims. They said its kind of an unwritten rule. If they want to continue to receive state funding, they must grant acceptance to a specific number of various races, despite what the actual number of applicants may be.

My own brother studied his butt off his whole life, played sports, received straight A's, and spent his weekends volunteering. He couldn't get in to any good school, until he changed his race to hispanic instead of white.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Just more racism from the PC left. Same as affirmative action. It's the left telling black people that we're not smart enough, or talented enough to get a job on our own merits.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - MLK

Apparently, Democrats didn't hear that part of the speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by DJM8507

Exactly.. the issue is that she LIED...

LIARS NEED NOT APPLY!

Just to clear this up, she was NOT rejected because she lied (or made a mistake). She was rejected because she is white, and white race is institucionaly discriminated against during the application process.
edit on 29/11/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

Obviously there are many forms of "discrimination"...employers might discriminate against an applicant with inferior grades over one with superior grades (where intelligence is a job factor). But "reverse discrimination" is to identify it as not only "racial" but to imply a counter force. Racial discrimation in favor of asians to work in a chinese restaurant is probably justified as are hiring pretty girls to work in Hooters.... but when discrimination is made as a "social remedy" to "reverse" a wrong when the criteria is made on race only then it is wrong (especially at this point in our republic). What if the NBA teams were limited to signing 13% (based on census statistics) of their rosters to black players?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join