It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recommendation on a Rifle.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Me and my family have an Ak-47, mossburg 500 and an springfield armory XD-9. The AK-47 isnt comfortable to shoot and seems, To rugidish (if thats a word). I've been looking at several different rifles. One being an AR -15 in .223, an AR-10 in .308 or some carbine in 9mm or .45 acp.

any recommendations?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Lol I was gona say an AK.. Try an Ar-15 I guess, but that just means another caliber (and mags) that you have to stock up on. If mag. capacity isn't too much of an issue even try an sks and share the ammo you already have.

*edit* Sks's do have 20 and 30 round mags but in general many people stick to the original fixed 10rnd for max reliability.

U
edit on 26-11-2011 by USarmyFL because: added

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
m1a socom 2 .308
this is the one they will need to pry from my cold dead hands.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hi there!

You certainly need a .22 rifle. I recommend the Ruger 10/22. Ammo is very inexpensive and really, a .22 semi-auto rifle is the most versatile weapon you can have. I would also recommend scoping this rifle.

It is a true pleasure to shoot and will be excellent in a survival situation.

I would stock up on the AK-47 ammo and "00" for the 12g as they are both really great home defense weapons.

For now though, get that Ruger 10/22 and a heap of .22 ammo!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Thinair1

Can you get to a range that has rentals?
The best rifle is the one that is comfortable to hold and shoot.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoFreedom

I forgot to mention the .22's, my son has a Bolt action .22 that he is getting to be pretty good with.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I was actually thinking about those also. At a range here i fired a Socom. i loved it. The Heaviness of the gun minimized the recoil alot! how much are FMJ .308 rounds? well any cheap .308 round for that matter.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

we can but its expensive. $2 a round! we have to use "Special ammunition" using the rental rifle.

link   
Something bolt action with a scope would compliment the choices you have already in your armory. Ruger is not a bad way to go for the money.,

link   
If you get an AR- platform, put the extra money into getting the piston model or upgrade kit. If you're not familiar with the gas operated system for the AR/M-16 design, do check into it before buying one. I didn't and regretted ever having bought one. Selling mine a couple months ago was a happy day, not a sad one....due to that lack of research. I'm looking for a quality pre-clinton ban AK- myself... Odd about that. lol

I'd personally recommend what I always have. The Beretta CX-4 Storm in 9mm is among the finest weapons I've ever owned. The magazines are interchangeable with the Beretta M-9 and 9 series handguns which makes that item cheap and plentiful. It's also accurate enough to hit the 9 ring at 25 yards consistently. Just an added bonus is the 100% true reversible design for right/left hand operation with just a couple physical changes in re-assembly. Nothing fancy or new to buy.

Anyway... Just my two cents.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
+1 on the .22lr, that is a must have for sure. 10/22 and match it with a Ruger .22 pistol also.

U
edit on 26-11-2011 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
My recommendation is dont play with guns,it will ultimately end up in accident .

Lol.. Too much msm and tv man. If you follow the basic common sense rules, you will never have a negligent discharge. No such thing as accidents with firearms.

U

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

i get nato rounds cheap.
read this, sometimes it's easier to link than try and explain.
message board thread

*socom is not made for high velocity rounds*

this can be considered both positive or negative.
like i said though, for someone like me the access to nato rounds is worth it.
if you find a good source it's amazing how cheap they are available.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Ok, that sucks.
What role will the rifle fill?
Hunting, HD, plinking?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

why dont you tell us what you want a rifle for ?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by USarmyFL

Originally posted by brindle
My recommendation is dont play with guns,it will ultimately end up in accident .

Lol.. Too much msm and tv man. If you follow the basic common sense rules, you will never have a negligent discharge. No such thing as accidents with firearms.

U
I know, no such accidents with air shows either.Lets go fly planes at high speeds and do tricks, hope we dont get killed,when we get back ,we can go shoot at some of them targets .

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thinair1
reply to post by macman

we can but its expensive. $2 a round! we have to use "Special ammunition" using the rental rifle.

Probably frangible ammunition. Something you would never use outside of a range.

As far as rifle recommendations go, I have two suggestions.

A Ruger Mini-14 rather than an AR-15.
A Springfield M1A. The original, not the socom 2.

The Mini-14 uses a very similar bolt system to the M1 Garand, which the Springfield M1A is also based on. It is very reliable and requires less maintenance. Plus it cycles just a wee bit faster than the AR-15.
With either rifle, there is minimal recoil.

The Springfield M1A is my favorite rifle. I use mine fairly often. It is extremely accurate and is capable of much farther distances than an AR. Although it does have quite a bit more kick to it than an AR.
Springfield Armory recommends using 168-grain rounds for best accuracy. I usually use 175 or 180-grain rounds for taking down elk.

A good .22 rifle might also be a good option for small game or simple plinking. They usually have an effective range of up to 150-yards and almost no recoil at all. Plus, they are quiet enough that they don't require hearing protection. I use a Remington Nylon 66, which is very old but dead-on accurate and fun to shoot. I hear good things about the Ruger 10/22 though.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
M-14 / M1A.

The AR-10 is just like the AR-15, it poops where it eats. Plugs itself up because it has no gas piston.

M-14 / M1A both have gas pistons and are built like TANKS. You could drive over one and it will still work.

Unless you want a suburban assault rifle, then I'd go with an AR-15 lower with a .458 SOCOM upper. Shoot straight thru concrete blocks and kill the guy on the other side. Stop cars by cracking their engine blocks open.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Piston impingement AR 15

fantastic platform,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join