It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water From Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Took the last few days off from ATS posting to do some research for gear for survival. Lot's of things out there for people to be thinking about and well as always most are always cost prohibited. A lot of Green products out there among solar and wind.

I remember reading a couple of threads about those in urban environments about their needs and of course the water in the water heater could be used as well as filling up sinks and bathtubs but even then your still going to run out.

Now what if we had a serious disaster where fresh water sources became contaminated by any number of things well what is a person to to do?

It is a well know fact that people need water to live in fact quite a bit of it 3 days without water and your a goner then the fact at least 1 gallon a day per person which brings me to the thing i want to talk about in this thread.

We have all seen dehumidifiers and we all know what they do but the thing it's not potable to drink but there are products out on the market now such as this one:

Water from air. Easily the coolest gadget at the show, the Air2Water Revolution coolers are designed to literally pull drinking water out of your home's indoor air. While the technical details of how they work are proprietary, the company's owner explained that once the water is pulled from the air, it's run through three different types of filters, sanitized by a UV light, then stored in a stainless steel (not plastic) tank until you need it. Depending on the temperature and humidity in your home, they'll produce up to seven gallons of drinking water per day.

www.rodale.com...

This is just but one product among many out there little google search and you just may find a lot cheaper this one is a tad on the expensive side but compared that to a AR-15 or a computer or several thousand rounds of ammo the cost is not that bad.

$1500 bucks sounds a lot but when your dying of thrist then how much are you willing to pay?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It is a dehumidifier that filters the the water after it is condensed out of the air. Your home air conditioner performs the same function of dehumidifying the air. If you captured that water and purified it, you would have the same thing. No great mystery here.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
7 gallons every 24 hours sounds pretty good for such tech. I wonder what the humidity levels have to be for those numbers? Have you seen a quote or price? It appears this tech is getting established and marketed, which kind of surprises me because of competing industries and how they so often squash or discredit these type of advances.
I wonder if TBoone Pickens owns any stock in this?
Anyway, seems pretty revolutionary for so many regions around the world that have lack of fresh water.
On a similar note, for areas that may not have enough humidity, but plenty of tainted water, this product is pretty innovative too, the LifeStraw:
singularityhub.com...
ETA: The only negative thing is the humidifier requires power(480 watts), but still, it seems good product option imo.

Peace,
spec
edit on 25-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Does it work without electricity?

I like the hardier type of water collection.

Dig a hole, put a bowl in the bottom middle, cover the hole with a tarp, put a rock on the tarp above the bowl, the water from the soil will condense on the tarp, run down to the low point from the rock, and drip into the bowl.

Also, collect a lot of green leafy stuff, put it in a plastic bag, hang it from a tree, cut a small hole at the bottom and let the sun pull the moisture from the leaves, condense it on the plastic, and it will run down to the slit and into your canteen or bowl.

I'm also working on building a collapsible unit that will make seawater drinkable. It is just a solar distiller, and I've already made it work a few times, but I need to make it lighter, thinner, and collapsible so it can be a cheap emergency aid on all small boats. I hope to patent it someday!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

ScienceDaily (June 5, 2009) — Not a plant to be seen, the desert ground is too dry. But the air contains water, and research scientists have found a way of obtaining drinking water from air humidity. The system is based completely on renewable energy and is therefore autonomous.

Cracks permeate the dried-out desert ground, the landscape bears testimony to the lack of water. But even here, where there are no lakes, rivers or groundwater, considerable quantities of water are stored in the air. In the Negev desert in Israel, for example, annual average relative air humidity is 64 percent – in every cubic meter of air there are 11.5 milliliters of water.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Here is another manufacturer different models and prices

www.ecoloblue.com...

Here's the "technology" page should work anyways lower humdity levels would just mean less collected and takes a little bit longer.

www.ecoloblue.com...

edit on 25-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

And if the ground is contaminated then what? just because it is electric they still make solar and wind power and wouldn't take hours and hours to wait for a sip of water.

or you could build your own like this:

a2wh.com...
edit on 25-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The product seems pretty cool, not knocking it. But if I had $1500 to spend on survival gear, it would be way down my priority list. If someone had already addressed the issue of alternative energy sources and basic necessities, then having something like this might be worthwhile.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Only purpose of this thread was to let people know about it wasn't trying to say people need this but most preppers are going to be depending on some resemblance of the environment they take for granted.

What are they going to do if it isn't there as they know it?

Yeah it's over priced and yes other needs should be addressed but what about the things they are not thinking of and water is the most important need for surival.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
pretty cool device, although not practical for survival it could be a step towards something more useful in a survival situation. nice find

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I like any other hobbyist on here would say, "Gee I would love to see plans and schematics for that device!" Of course the easy way is to buy one and reverse engineer it! LOL. I dont think it will help me in the Vegas desert much though.. Bet it would have good performance near lakes and streams.. Any thoughts on that?

~MASTERODUNIVERSE

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Yeah all of this high tech stuff just won't do.
Tarp from the local auction $10. bucks.
550 cord in stock = free
The know how to put the tarp up and collect unlimited water and power free = priceless.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You could always build yourself an airdrop. It's pretty much self-sufficient. Although uses a small solar panel to run a fan which pushes air down into the device.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If you don't have water, that means there is no electricity...or even worse, a grid down scenario. This is hardly anything that you would want to have in that case.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nice thread!!

Makes me think on buying one,although they are a bit pricy.

Whats the best ,cheapest one you can recommend????

nothing stationary,on the go.........................

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I recommend getreadlyalreadys method first and foremost and other means and knowledge. Technology can break down electricity is not so much an issue as solar panels and batteries are on the cheap and there are instruction videos and forums on the how to make them and well as wind turbines that have been used for hundreds of years.

So the power issue is rather moot not going to sit here and recommend any people should decide what they spend their cash on since they work for it.

Not everyone takes a layered approach to survivalism and prepping they should tho and there are some that think they just go out and buy a bunch of stuff and they will be covered not so.

The first thing everyone should have is knowledge stuff is secondary and the combination of knowledge and ingenuity and you have a fighting chance.

Water is the most important thing all of us need so we all should have multiple ways of getting it may seem like i did i 180 since i first created this thread but i am going to reitterate a point some people just seem to forget.

Informational purposes the tech is out there now for those who may think it would be one of those things to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.

For on the go getreadyalready method works but requires time then there is rain water collection systems and then there are solar stills can all be easily made.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
kinda neat but come on guys if we are immanging the spit hitting teh fan sortive thing then again this idea will just be destroyed by the next lotter .
Now heres something that works ANYware in ANY climit and GIVES drinking water no boling needed (well if the world is nuked i gess it wont matter much)
anyway get a 5 gallon plastic bucket (heck get 4 ) they are light and last for YEARS and can be found in any old dump . Now get plastic No matter what kind white plastice they use to cover building stuff is great but tarps will be easer to find and even garbage bags can be torn and psted toghter to make a large enough pice . say 10 by 10 feet or even 6 by 6 will be ok .
Now dig a hole say 3 feet deep in teh center tappering to 6 inches on teh out side 5 feet accross ( if using 6 foot pices of plastic then put bucket in middle place plastic over hole put small rock in cente and rocks on out side nto hold down so now the plastic is pushed down some in teh middle (dont matter if its only a inch .
and leave it for a day . take off plastic take out bucket of CLEAN water .
do 4 buckets and you can have 15 to 20 gallons a day .
ps total COST 00000000000000000000 And in a spit hit the fan no walmart needed
edit on 1-12-2011 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

top topics

join