It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Dems Jumping Off the Obama Bandwagon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Although she was writing about the lack of Black participation in the OWS Movement (only 1.6% of OWS), African-American historian Stacey Patton wrote in the WaPo on Thanksgiving about the ineffective and self-serving performance of Black political leadership generally, whom she perceives as having sold out to Wall Street and Big Business.

More recently, the Congressional Black Caucus and other civil rights groups have received strong financial backing from telecommunications companies such as AT&T and Comcast. These firms support regulations that would be barriers to the goal of universal Internet access, stifling economic opportunity for black communities. We can’t expect our civil rights organizations and political leaders to help blacks rage against the corporate machine when they are part of it.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Earlier this year, Dr. Cornell West and TV personality Tavis Smiley led their own Black Bus Tour, inveighing against Obama's lack of principles and spine.

It would seem that this perception of and disgust with Black leadership's sell-out must ultimately rest at the highest level, which today is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

If observant and knowledgeble Blacks are disgusted by their leadership, it is little wonder that other Dems. would themselves feel no obligation to take up "the cause" in their absence. All of those young, disaffected whites who supported Obama, and the "Progressive" elites who thought they were doing American Blacks a favor, if they are paying attention to African-American disaffection, may no nonger feel the same compulsion to support Obama either.

It is pretty commonly accepted that many of the Independent whites who voted for Obama did so only because "it was the right thing to do," and not much more.

Now, they don't even have that reason anymore.

jw.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yipeee! Another “Bloom is off the rose!” thread about Pres. Obama!! It is like rinse and repeat since his first week in office.

Well at least it isn’t one of those exhausting threads claiming he was only elected because he is Black.

Ooops, spoke too soon.

Originally posted by jdub297
Recognizing the failure of the "Affirmative Action President"

Well at least maybe it won’t be tabloid and will discuss the economy or unemployment or the stalemate in DC….Issues worth debating?

Oprah has been reported NOT to publicly endorse Obama to preserve her dwindling ratings and save the OWN Network.

Oh damn….if Oprah reportedly isn’t endorsing him..then that is it! He’s done! We all know it was Oprah who got President Bush and the last 5 Presidents elected. She is the woman behind the curtains!!

Will all of these defections finally start taking a larger toll on Obama’s support generally, and extend to even more of his core support? Given their increasing numbers; and, more importantly, the complete lack of voices rising in his defense, it would appear that only a miracle will salvage his nomination, much less his candidacy.

Oh, but President Obama does in fact have a miracle…it’s called the GOP and thier unashamed competition to see who can stomp on the middle class the hardest while proudly defending thier right to lie, be cruel, be stupid or cheat on their wives.

He doesn't have to campaign...the GOP campaign for him everytime they open their mouths.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

President Obama does in fact have a miracle…it’s called the GOP and thier unashamed competition to see who can stomp on the middle class the hardest while proudly defending thier right to lie, be cruel, be stupid or cheat on their wives.

Your self-satisfaction must be overflowing by now at your ability to cut to the chase.
At least you finally got around to offering a reply to the question.

If Obama were running in the general election against a field of 8 or 9 or 10 GOP opponents, you might have come close to a semblance of a point. A wrong one, but a point, nonetheless.

Unfortunately, that is not how it will work next November.
Take away the names of particular individuals, and Obama loses in almost every state against a "generic" GOP candidate.
www.rasmussenreports.com... north_carolina_generic_presidential_ballot

jw

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

If Obama were running in the general election against a field of 8 or 9 or 10 GOP opponents, you might have come close to a semblance of a point. A wrong one, but a point, nonetheless.

Unfortunately, that is not how it will work next November.
Take away the names of particular individuals, and Obama loses in almost every state against a "generic" GOP candidate.
www.rasmussenreports.com... north_carolina_generic_presidential_ballot

jw

"Generic"...wow.

I would vote for a "Generic" GOP candidate. Most people would. Lord ...I have often daydreamed about a great GOP or Dem candidate entering the field.

Of course Obama will lose to a "Generic" GOP candidate...but what the GOP is these days and what they have put forward as their best choices is ANYTHING BUT GENERIC. They are the worst field of nominees in either party I have seen in decades.

"Generic"...that cracks me up. Those "generic candidate" polls are desperate nonsense that politicians pull out to try and "keep hope alive". It invites the respondant to engage in fantasy.

Try real people....real choices..From Rassmussen today.

Election 2012: Obama 46%, Gingrich 40%
Election 2012: Obama 44%, Romney 38%

www.rasmussenreports.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I guess what you either fail to see or refuse to, is that today, the Republican field is splintered. Independents and others have no real stake in a 1 one 1 hypothetical race.

Untill the nominee has been determined and the third-party candidates identified, any such head-to-head is little more than fantasy.

jw

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This many pages in and the title of this thread still fails to prove itself even remotely true. This is MSM propaganda and I had such high hopes that ATS was immune to this kind of blech.

Oprah, who will vote for Obama in 2012, said something bad about him and oh noes, Dems are turning on Obama.

What tabloid crap.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The bottom line is that voters will always place their vote with what they view as the lesser of two evils.

Even if many of Obama's supporters suddenly feel they cannot rely on his promises, they will never turn to vote Republican. It just doesn't happen. Not enough for a major change anyway.

Voters are registered Democrats or Republican for a reason. They choose lines not because of a candidate, but because it's in their best interest.

Thise who no longer support Obama will be voting for Obama come next November.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
In my opinion, the Obama ship wasn't worth being on from the beginning, he had no substance, no record, just slogans, talking points, and good eye contact.

Its time for Obama to go, Oprah should've endorsed Ron Paul in 2007.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
The bottom line is that voters will always place their vote with what they view as the lesser of two evils.

Even if many of Obama's supporters suddenly feel they cannot rely on his promises, they will never turn to vote Republican. It just doesn't happen. Not enough for a major change anyway.

Voters are registered Democrats or Republican for a reason. They choose lines not because of a candidate, but because it's in their best interest.

Yea the duopoly is certainly a major problem in American Politics that's for sure. I wish people would focus more on independents and third party candidates which to be quite honest generally tend to be more on your side. Ron Paul should be on the libertarian ticket, Ralph Nader is great (independent), Even Jesse was an Independent. Pissed off Democrats can look to the Green Party, Working People's Party or Progressive Party (I favor the Green Party out of those three). Personally the ability to vote without having to establish your party first hand would be a step.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Even if many of Obama's supporters suddenly feel they cannot rely on his promises, they will never turn to vote Republican.

I don't agree with the "lesser of two evils" rationale, generally. I do believe that is what many independents did in 2008, though.
I will agree with you that "Obama's supporters" will not turn their backs, regardless of the state of national affairs - they will be voting their own self-interest, and that will not change.

The real question is, just how large of a pool does the term "Obama Supporter" include?

What this thread and the previous one reveals is that many people who voted for "hope and change" in 2008 were not Barack Obama "supporters;" rather, they were merely joining the bandwagon.

These are the voters who've not only become dissaffected, as many of the examples have, but for whom the original reason has disappeared.
Obama's first term has made it clear that many of the things these people voted for are not part of his agenda. They feel lied to, left out and ignored. These people didn't necessarily vote for the man so much as for what he promised.

Now that it is clear he will not, can not, or never meant to deliver on those promises, these voters will come to the ballot box with a different agenda, if they come back at all.

Voters are registered Democrats or Republican for a reason.

Not all voters are registered one way or the other. They only have to declare a party preference in a primary; and even then, are free to cross party lines in the general election anyway. I know many people who voted in the Democratic primary for someone other than Obama, who then voted for Ron Paul or McCain. For years, I voted in the Democratic primary for my local contests, but voted for Republicans in the national races in November. Party affiliations aren't really that indicative of much other than primary preferences.

They choose lines not because of a candidate, but because it's in their best interest.

My point, exactly. And there are a lot of people who see that their vote for Obama in 2008 turned out NOT to be in their best interest.

We'll see in November, won't we?
edit on 30-11-2011 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

These were direct quotes there champ.

2nd

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KendraSins
This many pages in and the title of this thread still fails to prove itself even remotely true. This is MSM propaganda and I had such high hopes that ATS was immune to this kind of blech.

Oprah, who will vote for Obama in 2012, said something bad about him and oh noes, Dems are turning on Obama.

What tabloid crap.

Happily, Gallup has released an analysis of the evaporating "fan base" that brought BHO the votes he needed in 2008.
More happily, they will not be there in 2012.

To redress the imbalance, let’s look at the most recent Gallup numbers from the week of November 21 to 27. Obama’s overall approval rating stood at 43 percent, as it has for more than a month—a level inconsistent with a successful reelection campaign unless there’s a significant third party candidate on the right.

Compare these numbers with the shares of the vote Obama received from these groups in November 2008:

It is clear that Obama’s margins are down—way down—not just among swing voters, but in the core of his coalition as well. Compounding the problem, the base’s enthusiasm and intensity have declined as well. As Gerald Seib has noted, while Democrats won the intensity race hands-down in 2008, the reverse is the case today.

Slice the Demographics Any Way You Want, But Obama Is In Trouble

I'm sorry if the facts upset you and other Obama followers. His attraction for those who unquestioningly gave him their votes is fading.

jw

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
These were direct quotes there champ.

2nd

And they are directly wrong, as I pointed out, one-by -one.
Labels mean nothing in the voting booth in the general election.

jw

<< 2  3  4   >>

join