It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial “anti-Semitic” vodka billboard taken down in NYC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

A billboard for Wodka vodka in NYC has been taken down and destroyed after complaints that the advertisement's message is anti-Semitic. The New York Times reported that the billboard featured a long-haired dog wearing a yarmulke and another dog wearing a Santa hat with the words, "Christmas quality, Hanukkah pricing," alongside the photo.

source

I thought it was pretty funny.

On the subject of rasicm, lighten up! "I dont care about your nice food or your ethnic food"

edit on 24-11-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I thought it was hillarious. I agree, people need to learn how to laugh at themselves. Heck, I got an EXTREME T&C violation yesterday with something NOT EVEN as "racy". Happy T-Day all

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Do you even understand what a semite is?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

I agree, things like this should be taken lightly and with a sense of humor.
Unfortunately, there is always going to be someone who has to disagree just for the sake of it.
IMO, it's better to just NOT involve race or religion in advertising.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

I was debating on posting this. If you go look up some of the older slogans they used, yeah, sorry, this is antisemitic in the sense that it uses a Jewish Holiday as the "cheap" on, essentially inferring Jews are "cheap" or "frugal"

Personally, I have a thick skin and thought it was funny, but I can clearly see the issue people would have at it, and yes it's in bad taste.

What was the other slogan? "Manhattan Quality, Newark Prices"? Lol

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Yes, I do.
Thread title is copied from the article *(if thats why you are asking)
I want to marry Amy Goodman

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You know, now that I think of it. I'm offended by "Santa Claus" being portrayed as a dog. How come people aren't upset about that?

As well, when was the last time you got a high quality christmas present? 1987 for me. All I get now is cheap crap that breaks instantly. how many RC copters have I owned? too many.

How many hours of flight combined? 1. ONE. These things aren't free people.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Uhm, I think it is funny. BUT: I don't celebrate Hannukah, I celebrate Christmas. I don't think it takes much of a "thick skin" for a Christian/Christmas celebrator to find this funny.

I am all for not being PC, but, when something only goes one way, that's different. If this had something bad about Christmas AND Hannukah, I would have found it acceptable and quite hilarious. I am very good at laughing at myself. But it's unacceptable to say non-PC things about just one group while praising another, and it's even more unacceptable to say, as Christmas celebrating people, that the Jews should just get a thicker skin about this. There would have been riots if the billboard had said mean/mocking things about Christmas - Bill O Reilly would have come out with his "War on Christmas" specials and the conservatives would rant and blady blah blah. We'd have ranted about Zionism taking over America or something equally as insane. It's a clearly one-sided billboard and I agree with it being taken down. It's not about "PC" it's about simple human decency...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

When is a joke not a joke?
When your to up yourself to have a sense of humor.

top topics

join