It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What time is it now?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

But what happens to the identity of the individual ? Can we still experience love ? can we still attempt to better ourselves ? What becomes of beauty ? Does it disappear, to be ridiculed as an archaic idea which cannot be applied to the physical ?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In my opinion saying, "It's (whatever o'clock) right now" is basically like saying, "This object is now located/positioned/in this condition here/thusly relative to this object." That's all it is. It's motion. It's comparative motion or change between more than one object (or even concept or idea, really.) Look at the hands of a clock. All it's doing is telling us, "This object (the hand of the clock) is currently positioned here relative to this object (number on the face of the clock.)" You could think of it as geometry in a since.

In modern physics time is irrevocably tied to spatial dimensions. So even at that level time is merely akin to very advanced geometry (shapes, folds, curves, points, directions.)

Time, as an imaginary flowing "something" doesn't seem to exist in the sense we are traditionally taught to conceive of it in. It seems to be some sort of product of spatial dimensions and whatever the other dimensions are (probably also spatial but distinct or otherwise invisible outside of very small scale particle physics) and how they interact. More like an additional concept of space beyond just three dimensions (which is very difficult for most people to visualize) than an invisible river or force flowing ceaselessly between then and now. (The latter being how we are, in my view erroneously, taught to think of it.)

Just my two cents. Peace.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by shadowstorm
I'm sorry to tell you... but it's HAMMER TIME!

Please hammer.. don't hurt them.

I still think it's tool time. Wait a minute... I just had a profound philosophical realization of enlightenment! Hammer time and tool time are one!

You're both wrong............... It's Miller time!

OOOOOhhhhhh!

YES!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by smithjustinb

ha, always fun to talk about metaphysics.

I think the present exists because there is a balance of past and future.

Time is like a whirlpool. You can imagine heavy parts going slower, and lighter parts going faster. In this sense time has an equal past and future. But, you can make it so heavy that it simply stops moving. Here, time simply goes around it, but whatever the item has taken from the "pool of time" can never be free until the erosion from time itself frees it and the item is reduced in density.

No matter how fast or how slow time 'moves', there is always the present.

Otherwise, there would be an imbalance and we would not be existing in the present. And the only way there can be an eternal present is if there is an eternal past and an eternal future.

The Greeks had a wise saying. You can never move. Because there is an infinite amount of points you can go between point A and point B. Even so, we do. How is this possible? Well, I can give you metaphysics and I can give you scientific fact. In terms of scientific fact, we now know this is not true. There are a finite amount of times you can divide a second. There are a finite amount of times you can divide a space between point a and point b. These are called time "frames", and for distance, what some now call the "pixel" size of the universe. Because these things are finite, they cannot possibly be infinite in the before and after.

How small is a point? Answer: Infinitely small. There are an infinite number of points in between any two points. Strangely, they are all the same point. That way, movement is possible. So its not that you are moving from point to point. That would be impossible. A single point is incomprehensible. It is not quantifiable. It is without dimension, so it does not exist within this universe. Yet, it somewhat does have an existence. Imagine dimensions as being cyclical. You go from 0- ?10? and ?10? is 0. 0 is the single point. It is the center of the source of everything. It is the alpha as well as the omega. There are an infinite amount of 0d points, yet they are all the same point. It is infinity.

Also, any quantity chosen within the number line of infinity will always be in the center of that number line. Even if the number 5 is chosen or the number 5,000. Both number are in the center of the infinite number line. Time is that way. All infinite platforms are that way.

Not quite. It can be really anywhere. Not just the midpoint. This sorta kinda means time travel is possible.

In reference to itself, compared to the infinite number line, it is always in the center no matter which number it is. We are all in reference to ourself.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

What is Now?

Now here = Nowhere

What is the speed of darkness?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Everything is NOW. It was always now, and will always be now, there is no other time but the present, it doesn't exist, at all, it's an illusion, and nothing but a convention at best used to measure relative motion and distance, but it's not REAL.

Why though? The present is an idea that it is happening. The future is an idea that It hasn't happened yet and can be changed. The past is an idea that it has happened and can never change.

If all was the present, then I would not be able to change my future, and I'd be able to change my past, for I would be living it right now.

But I can change my future. If I had the technology, I could go into the past...physically transport, and prevent you from tying what you have. Power to change what is not changeable otherwise.

When we can completely accept what is as it is, in the now, then we recognize that there is no time only eternity already always, and only within this space is true creative action possible, to improve things as we move along, our own imagination the guiding light.

Have you ever had a mental break down? I have. I am not that person anymore. I no longer exist at that fixed point in time. Yet you wish to tell me that that is also the present. How so? Had that never happened, my present would be totally different. Perhaps I would have killed myself and no longer be here. That's a radically different now than now is currently occurring. One day I will be dead. How can I be typing this, creating information, if I am dead now?

But to believe in the reality of "time" is crazy, because there is no such thing as the past and the future, they do not exist.

To you. To me they are active events, living and true. When I was around 18, I started learning how to create sort of "mental save points". Sort of like a saved point of my consciousness. I have about, oh, maybe 10 or so now. These are locked parts of my mind, unchangeable. Save points for every major event. I can literally converse wit my past self, within my mental world, and play out simulations with how past versions of myself would go about a situation. It helps me make decisions, because I know how those past selves would react to a situation, and I can deem it good or bad. I'm not sure how I managed to start to do this. When it first started happening, I would often end a semester of school by going into a 3 day long sort-of-coma, waking up with virtually all the information of the semester sorted and filed, and shelved in my head. Soon I began to open up these files in my head, and look and indeed laugh at how I would used to do things. With a bit of imagination, I began giving them personification in my mind, letting these store points speak for themselves, and indeed defend their actions, knowing full well, now more wiser, how wrong they were.

If time doesn't exist, how can I do this? These inventions of my mind, literally characters of my younger self, did not exist at a point in time. I WAS them at some point in time. I no longer am them. It's almost like reincarnation within the same life, with all the memories still there. Explain how I can do this if time doesn't exist.

It's fresh, the whole thing, at every moment, and it is for this reason that we must forgive as we are already forgiven, because it's a clean slate at each moment, a new possibility in the domain of infinite possibility that is the eternally unfolding present moment.

Even so, there were points, points while those bad things that must be forgive, were happening. Those points had a present. Now they are gone, into the past. You could never do those things today, but once you could, when you knew less.

You don't get it. Perhaps only a couple people who've participated in this thread "get" the point I was trying to make in the OP.

Oh I get it. I reject it. Because how I live my life would not be physically possible if it were true.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthIncarnate

The identity of the individual is realized as an illusion. You realize that you are love and all that is. There is no need to better yourself, and who would do it? There is so much beauty.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

No matter how fast or how slow time 'moves', there is always the present.

How so? The present inside the black hole is the past to us here on Earth. The frames are so slow because of gravity. It's not that it has a present, it's that it physically has nothing. No time. Something outside of time, like a tachyon perhaps, has to enter from the future to extract energy into the past. Or God knows what really.

How small is a point? Answer: Infinitely small. There are an infinite number of points in between any two points. Strangely, they are all the same point. That way, movement is possible. So its not that you are moving from point to point. That would be impossible. A single point is incomprehensible. It is not quantifiable. It is without dimension, so it does not exist within this universe. Yet, it somewhat does have an existence. Imagine dimensions as being cyclical. You go from 0- ?10? and ?10? is 0. 0 is the single point. It is the center of the source of everything. It is the alpha as well as the omega. There are an infinite amount of 0d points, yet they are all the same point. It is infinity.

But this is not true. They now know that there is a finite space you can go to. Planck length. Something that can be divided no smaller. Energy itself, at the minimum quantifiable level. What you say is theory, and now known not to be true. after all, then it would mean you could create mass from nothing. But this has never happened. Even virtual particles now have a source for where they came from.

See what you are doing is saying it must be your way because it makes sense to you. But it has no evidence. What does have evidence is that time exists, and is finite, as well as a distance.

In reference to itself, compared to the infinite number line, it is always in the center no matter which number it is. We are all in reference to ourself.

And this, too, assumes infinite can exist. We cannot see the edge of the universe. So we cannot know if it is infinite. It is simply large. That's all that is known.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

What is the source of virtual particles? And they haven't found the higgs particle yet so how can they prove you can't have all 'this' from nothing?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Obviously I can't do the experiment you purpose but let's try a logical experiment. Let's take the old saying 'if a tree falls in the woods and no ones around to hear it, does it make a sound?'. Now we know that the laws of sound do not change when there is no one to hear it. So why would time be any different.

ALS

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

So you think the tree makes a sound?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Darkness is simply the absence of light. It has no wavelength hence no speed.

ALS

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Ummmm yes? When they fall they do.

ALS

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Sound is subjective. Without eardrums and electrical signals and a brain with a consciousness there is no sound as such.
Some would argue that if there is no one there there would be no tree or forest.
Time is the same.
edit on 25-11-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Virtual particles are the tool particles use to transmit information. Two electrons transmit virtual particles in order to "know" they exist to each other. It's literally waving hello on the micro micro micro scale. In Theory, if you could make a tool to absorb them, you would sort of create an energy vampire and electrons wouldn't bounce repel each other, because they wouldn't know each other exist. Sucking the virtual particles from gravity would, in theory....if big enough, obliterate the planet.

fast forward to :50

You see, if time didn't exist, these VP would not be able to move. And it is perfectly theoretically possible that if we blocked it, and act in time, we would alter the results in the future.

Of course the reality is, at least the probable one, is they are not coming from nothing. They are a minute piece of the parent particle's energy. Space time itself is energy, so what goes out must come back. Equilibrium.
edit on 25-11-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Time does exist but many people confuse time with their perception of time. If you were to look at a star 100,000 light years away it would look 100,000 years older than it really is. But if you were to suddenly teleport there you would see it 100,000 years older. Back on earth 100,000 light years away if you flew towards the star at 10 times light speed you would see the star age faster than normal, and to your perception it would seem as if time is speeding up. But this is only your perception for time is still going at its pace. You can certainly measure time with atoms machines or however you want to do it, the key is to have equal intervals which even today we can't produce.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Where do virtual particles come from??? I don't want to know what they are, you said you know where they come from, where do they come from? Virtual particles appear and disappear in a vacumn.
You also said that mass can not come from nothing and yet they have not found any mass yet, they are still looking for the Higgs boson.
Where is your evidence?

They say it comes from spacetime but what is spacetime?
Whatever is being viewed is being viewed now. Scientists can not view the past or the future, when they do experiements they do it in 'the present'. The present or now is the only 'time' anyone can observe. So how can scientists assume spacetime?
edit on 26-11-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

They come from the parent particle. If you blocked them, it would be like making them blind.

The fact they haven't found the higgs doesn't mean mass doesn't exist. Lack of evidence is not evidence for nonexistence. These are very small things, The make up of what the make up of the make up of molecules are.

There may not even be a higgs. That doesn't mean mass doesn't exist. In my mind, space time is the lowest state of decay for energy. In my mind, space time can be converted into photons, which can be converted into mass. The bending of space time is simply the removal of the mass of space time into a given mass. For all we know, dark matter is what holds it together. Point is, we don't know.

No, not everything you see is present. You don't see the now of stars. You see their past. The time it takes for their light to reach us. There are ways to prove this even today.

Not everything you see is now. A wormhole practically disproves what you're saying.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

If you go outside and look up at the 'star' how long do you have to stand there before you see it?
You have been told that the little sparkly dot is far far in the distance and it takes 'time' for it to get to your eye but is that true?
You see that twinkle instantly and presently and you see it here not there.

The rest is mind stuff.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

yes you see it. You see it's childhood footage. No different than if I played a movie of you when you were 3. It's not now. It's a captured point in time.

Also what about what I said about what I do in my head? With my younger selves? Isn't that the same?

Point is, information is being created which, at one point, did not exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join