It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is in Your Grab and Go Bag/ SHTF setup?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by BadNinja68

Mall ninja work isnt going to cut it.

Well, nice personal shot there, survivorman.

Watch some more youtube. I will think about you when i'm selling my gold.

lol.. So ...your fingers are so frozen you can't strike a bic..but you can still hoard gold?
Oookay then.

I can track just about anything..except your logic.
Don't worry 'bout me..when the old bic gives out,
I'll just grab my "Bear Grylls" signature firesteel off the nearest frozen "survival expert's" corpse.
Should be thousands of 'em...I'll look for the gold.

No point in arguing the bic lighter method. Its been laughed off a couple of the major survival boards and the mods suspended the theory giver for 3 days at at one major site.[/qoute]

Well, if the MODS on a website say so.. then that settles it!
lmao.
I couldn't make responses like that up.

[qoute] Run the method by the 70,000+ real world folks over there at survivalistboards. Let us know how that works out for ya.

"Real World Folks on the Survivalistboards"".. that's like "Peacekeeper Missle"

I guess because I not primative .. and don't agree with the "online experts"...enough Im not real.

70,000+ firesteels huh? I'll be fine.

Telling people things that will get them killed in a survival situation is totally uncool. Im surprised one of the knowledgeable mods here didnt clamp down on that idea right off the bat.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

I can assure you, ALL the survivalist message boards are 99% filled with BS that will get you killed including this one, however, my posts are 100% accurate and I never suggest anything I havent already bet my life on.

You can sit behind a keyboard and take shots at me all you want, I've spent more time outdoors than most "survival experts" and surveyed more than 11,000 square miles of swamp, staying out for weeks at a time.
Ive worked with DNR and private firefighting companies, and helped train and sell equipment to federal and state LEO departments.

Im retired now, and I don't blow smoke up peoples aft vents when I talk about this stuff.

While I think it's great that you're hashing out your differences I do hope that you will keep Survivalistboards and ATS Survival forum business to their respective sites. I am sure the moderators from both sites would appreciate it. Thanks

edit on 25-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
On the Bic lighter note (and I can't believe we are even having this convo anywhere online anymore) everyone curious, take it and throw it in the sink with water. Let it sit for just a couple seconds. Take it out and try to light it. It won't light. So try with another Bic, same thing. 5 minutes later it's been shaken upside down, right side up, held in my fleece coat and thrown against the wall (just ruling everything out) still won't light, not even a spark.

It'll light up tomorrow, sure, but right now it's 10 degrees out and tomorrow doesn't mean a thing because I'm freezing in the snow and thirsty and tired.
Soooooo....enough of the Bic lighter topic. It's old and proven wrong.

ETA- Flint 3 minuites and spark/light
ETA- Bic 20 minutes and still no spark.
ETA- 45 minutes Bic, no spark
ETA- 45 minutes the wood stove cranking from flint
ETA- 2 1/2 hours. Damper on woodstove closed, embers to burn through the night..house toasty.
Bic just finally created spark and inconsistent flame.

edit on 25-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: above information

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by moondancer811
On the Bic lighter note (and I can't believe we are even having this convo anywhere online anymore) everyone curious, take it and throw it in the sink with water. Let it sit for just a couple seconds. Take it out and try to light it. It won't light. So try with another Bic, same thing. 5 minutes later it's been shaken upside down, right side up, held in my fleece coat and thrown against the wall (just ruling everything out) still won't light, not even a spark.

It'll light up tomorrow, sure, but right now it's 10 degrees out and tomorrow doesn't mean a thing because I'm freezing in the snow and thirsty and tired.

ETA- 2 1/2 hours. Damper on woodstove closed, embers to burn through the night..house toasty.

take same bic.. hold underwater for 5 minutes.. remove, blow on the wheel, slowly roll the striker across pant leg.
roll 3-5 times, then light your fire.
better yet, go find a smoker. tell them your "theories about how a bic won't work in the wild" then watch them laugh at you and light up.
Ive lit a smoke with a lighter that went through the washer, seconds after removing it from the machine.
So has every smoker on earth.

I guess Im just too old to banter over reality with people who are experts but have never done half the things they post about.

unless another great flood happense, or an instant ice age, I think my bic will serve me well.
(Btw... I did mention I carry a steel as an extreme backup, but never use it.. you "experts" missed that part of my post huh?)
*edited to add: Due to all the harsh and brutal responses to my suggestion to use common sense, I will now add, the suggestion of a zip lock baggie, or other waterproof container for your mini bic automatic self contained, gas fueld firestarting tool.
Or just dip the roller ends in molten parrafin.

I do not need to build a pocketwatch to tell time.
I do not need to run around the block just to cross the street.
I do not need to act like a caveman to build a fire when I have a bic lighter.

I work smarter, not harder.

The advice given to a seasoned hiker/camper is different than advice given to a banker who has never been outside city limits.
situations will bering other variables.
Using a firesteel is alot of work you usually wont need to do if you have a lighter...and could be a problem for people who are not experienced in using one to build a fire.

The herd mentality escapes me.
I never have been one to go along with the status quo when I know better.

edit on 11/25/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

DAM is all i have to say.
Your set for a while haha, i would love to have a GAG bag like that.

As for mine right now, i dont have one, but i am working towards a list, and will be set soon.

This is a really good thread, imo. You can discuss whats better, faster, lighter, stronger, and more reasonable for the conditions you will be in. Also, S+F because its very important.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
reply to post by Jspencer98

Prob around 4,000 for everything. I just kinda got the gear over time. now im pretty set.

Yeah your set...to be slow moving and your amounts are excessive, unless your going to be gone for 6 months and wonder the country side, shooting a lot, but then you cannot move fast, so a turtle will be faster than you and thus make you an easy target for anyone needing anything...

A bug out bag is to get you home or to get you to your bug out location...many people do like you and way over load on ammo...are you shooting every step? Is it going to be that bad of a fire fight? How do you shoot a 22,12guage, a 40 and..what 223 all at the same time? Where are you hiding all these weapons at? how much does just your weapons and ammo weigh?

On second though...your good to go! Don't change anything.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

haha you do realize Thats only like 70 lbs, marines carry about 90 lbs... all easily fits in a frame pack and as I clearly stated "Permanent mountain survival" meaning for far beyond months.. I'm talking YEARS. I get out right when I see a red flag, far before people start shooting each-other.

As far as you smart ass ignorant "fire fight" comment.

I also said .22 is for small game.
12g is for large game.

Only gun id use in a fire fight would be my AR 15.
My sig pistol is a secondary.

edit on 30-11-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a change of clothes
first aid kit
matches
trash bags
duct tape

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Ok, you know why the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines dont issue bics.....

If you needed one they would issue you one.

Period. >.< end of cock and bull story.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

reply to post by saltdog

haha you do realize Thats only like 70 lbs, marines carry about 90 lbs... all easily fits in a frame pack and as I clearly stated "Permanent mountain survival" meaning for far beyond months.. I'm talking YEARS. I get out right when I see a red flag, far before people start shooting each-other.

12g is for large game.

I try to keep mine under #65 without water and arms.

Only folks who roll like that know the difference. The rest? no clue

No real world experience.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Id like to shave a little weight. but I can hike at a good pace with 70lbs all day.

Colorado in the winter is just VERY unforgiving, not unknown to reach -15 with 16 feet of snow. When your dealing with a bag that is set up to deal with that for years.. you end up with a little extra weight.
edit on 1-12-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker

Ok, you know why the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines dont issue bics.....

If you needed one they would issue you one.

Period. >.< end of cock and bull story.

Now that's some fine logic.
I won't even begin to try and reason the fact that survival and military combat are two entirely different things.
Pack the things you are familiar with and can actually utilize.
If you can't properly handsharpen a knife, don't bring a ceramic stick, pack a simple "V" sharpener instead.
If you aren't proficient at firemaking with primitive tools, bring a damn bic.
Don't suggest the average joe pack technical tools that are beyond their skill level.
THAT gets people in trouble.

As far as your statment,you are incorrect.
I won't source a hundred NSN numbers to prove i how wrong you are, but I will list one to make my point.

Google is your friend.
SRU-21P Aviator's Survival Vest

NSN: 9920-00-999-6753 Lighter, butane
It's a standard Bic.

FYI: RANGER school at Ft Benning recommends bringing a bic lighter and two packs of matches.

Im done arguing over this.
the OP asked for suggestions, I gave mine based on my experience.
It was later suggested that I be banned for saying a lighter makes more sense than scratching steel and flint.
This is probably the same braintrust suggesting newbies hand sharpen knives on ceramic coffee cups, thus destroying their blades.
These folk seriously better pray the S never H's TF.

Deny Ignorance? Oh the Ironing.

edit on 12/1/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This is what i would have in/on my backpack to be able to survive in Norway: To be able to survive in Norway you have to plan for cold winters and wet weather conditions. My survival kit is based on mobility.

1. Have made my own Backpack with parts from different backpacks. 130 ltr. Spare parts 1 kg.

2. Sleeping bag (I have made my own sleeping bag for arctic conditions) 2,4 kg. Spare parts 0,34 kg. This sleeping bag can be made into a summer bag as well.

3. Inner tent "4 persons". (Don't need the whole tent) 2 kg. Spare parts 0,5 kg. (A tent is a luxury i will drop the tent if i have to).

4. My own pre made - First aid kit. 0,9 kg.
5. My own pre made Axe blade 1,6 kg. Its a axe blade with a pre fitted clamp that i can fit any type of shaft on to. This axe can also be used to tilt the earth so that you can build a garden.

6. Gas mask with spare parts.
7. Different types of small tools for repair/maintenance. 1 kg.
8. Combat goggles. Ski goggles with spare parts: 0,38 kg.
9. Uvex ski helmet. 0,49kg. Gives good protection against cold weather conditions ++++
10. Combat facial mask of Kevlar 0,29 kg. This mask gives good isolation for extreme cold weather conditions.
11. Fire stick large "5 of them".
12. XGK fuel burner with one pot. No spare parts as i don't expect to be using it for to long.
13. Fuel. 1,5 kg.
14. Fish netting. This can be used for fishing, trap animals and birds, to make a Gillie suit, clothing and to build a shelter. It is very easy to fasten different items to a fishing nett. 2 kg.

15. Clothing:
A.
Super underwear HH- long: top and bottom 2 set of each. I prefer to buy woman longs and long armed tops, because they fit the body a lot better. Underwear must sit very tight to the body, because it dosent take long until you start to loose a lot weight (4-5 days). It is very important to keep this in mind when you choose clothing for extreme conditions. These items are vacuum packed. 0,33 kg.

B.
Medium thick; long armed sweater "female". Female sweaters fit perfectly because they are tight around the chest, armpits and waist. The idea is to circulate as little cold air as possible. 1 of these vacuum packed and one ready for use.
0,32 kg.

C.
Thick sweater male large. I have chosen Large because these sweaters tent to expand a lot. Male large is a tight fit on me, but after a days use they tend to expand. You dont want this to sit to loose because than it circulates to much cold air onto the cloths underneath. I often have to make adjustments so that it will fit properly. When i open my backpack this shirt is the first item on top. 0,88 kg.

D.
Socks thick; vacuum packed. 0,11 kg.

E.
A pre manufactured jacket and pants to do camp work and equipment maintenance. 2 kg.

This set up with clothing will at best only last one season "365 days". So knowing how to manufacture new clothing and rope is a must.

Food;

A.
I always pack 10 ration's of pre made dried food with a lot of fat, that can either be eaten hot or cold. Main goal is to catch or gather own food resources. The 10 rations are only for emergencies. +- 4 kg.

B.
Salt, pepper.

C.
Seeds, small potatoes ready to be set. +- 2 kg.

If i cant catch/gather food. My rations are only good for 21 days. In very cold winter conditions my body will consume a lot of energy to try and keep me warm. I wont be much useful after 21 days.

Total weight: Is usually around 25 to 35 kg.

How i would dress up for mobility;

1. Super underwear.

2. I have manufactured my own outer pants to reflect more body heat, air outlets and fabricated pockets for protection gear/padding. I can also store water in these pants. I can also attach items on the inside.

3. I have manufactured my own tool belt from a climbing harness. I can fit all types of things to this harness and still move very good. Long and short blade knife always attached to this harness.

4. I have remanufactured my jacket to reflect more body heat. Fabricated pockets for protection gear and padding. Air out lets. I can also store water in my jacket for a short while. Specially made hood and strapping.

5 Thick socks.

6. Hard thick leather boots "tall" with extra heat reflection and outer strapping. Very difficult to manufacture on your own. These boots can be used on cross country skies.

7. Uvex ski helmet. Very good protection and good comfort.

8. Gore Tex Mittens "shell" with lots of adjustments, with three finger inner gloves in leather. Can be used separate.

Combat configuration depends on SHTF scenario. I prefer not to bring it along even if the environment is violent.

I have re-manufactured a combat vest and put a backpack harness on it so that i can attach it to the backpack by taking of the original harness. I can release the backpack with this harness.

With a combat configuration everything gets a lot heavier. And i might have to drop items to keep mobility.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

reply to post by saltdog

12g is for large game.

Semper Fi..Devel Pup!
Smart ass yes I am...cuz I can be.
70lbs...go weigh it...the ammo and guns is 70lbs, you have 2 hands figure 1 gun on your hip, 1 in your hand...so you have 2 tied/strapped to your pack? ...I bet you look like a rednech truck with duel antennas going through the woods sticking up on your pack...lol

Do you have spare parts for your weapons? tools to work on them with?..if not ..its a expensive club when it breaks....I am just saying....
If you go off of 2 is 1 and 1 is none...fyi
edit on 1-12-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In my bug out bag i have all the stuff i would bring on an extended camping trip:

- 2 LED Flashlights
- 2 Light sticks
- 20ft of 550 para cord
- 1 Incandescent Flashlight
- Zippo
- Survival Book
- 1 Folding pocket knife
- 1 Leatherman surge Multitool
- 20 Stormproof matches
- 1 survival kit
- 1 Mess kit
- 3 mountain house food meals
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 REI 0 degree mummy sleeping bag
- 1 bottle of potable aqua
- 2 fixeld blade knives
- 1 BIC lighter
- 20 strike anywhere matches
- 1 nalgene bottle
- 3 pairs of wool socks and silk liners

Some stuff i'm trying to get:

- a casio G-SHOCK watch
- another good fixed blade knife
- another nalgene bottle

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Not in my bag but SOL works fine enough for 1...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I cannot believe you guys are arguing over a bic lighter....

Why not have both

that is what i was thinking exactly. I have several methods of fire in mine i cannot tell you what they are i don't know all of their names. i wont claim to know everything... and i couldn't tell you everything in my bag because it was put there last fall
in the wheel-well of my car... but i can tel you that ive lit lighters that are wet, and ive lit lighters that are dry, some work some don't IN BOTH OCCASIONS. so why don't you guys let off the lighter issue and get to the survival..

and for those of you hoarding gold i suggest highly you do something with it before there is nobody that will buy it... you cannot eat gold, it cannot keep you warm at night, maybe you can use it to lure a fish if your lucky. or as a signal if you pound it down to a flat sheet lol but have fun with that. Id rather use my fishing tackle, and mirror, or my reflector or flares... Just my Opinion. id go with this guy before id run off to the mall to sell my gold and get vaporized

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Yes I do have parts for the AR. And only one gun strapped to the bag. AR can shoot. 22 and 5.65.

Any other dumb remarks?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by saltdog

Yes I do have parts for the AR. And only one gun strapped to the bag. AR can shoot. 22 and 5.65.

Any other dumb remarks?

Nope your right...you carry all that, cuz I will need resupplied at some point, and I figure since we are both jarheads...that it would be very nice and thoughtful of you to carry it all that way, just for me to have way out in the woods...damn nice of you Brother!!!

What I am saying is you say you have 4 weapons...look into an over under if your wanting caliber options, but everytime you add another caliber, your adding lbs of extra weight...a 12 guage is worthless TO ME...ammo is to bulky and heavy, ar is ok, 22 conversion kit I guess is what you have...thats ok too but you still have to change out things on weapon and thats extra weight...plus a different ammo, the 40?...ok I can see a pistol with stopping power...honestly for what its worth, if you ditch the 12 guage and that ammo, Your not doing CQB and breaching doors in the woods...thats atleast 15lbs maybe 20lbs that you free up...they make bird shot for 22's if you want it for hunting birds...

I pesonally use a 45, an AR and I have a 50 cal upper to put on my lower reciever if I need more stopping power, you can also get an upper in (several other larger than .223) 308,for larger game.
I say this to you so that you can cut weight of pack and save your feet and back, so yeah I bust balls, but I am humping hills with heavy gear too...PLUS if you have 2 complete ar platforms, if 1 breaks you are still good to go!!!

I have one on my thigh, one in hand and 1 strapped on the pack...pistol and 2 rifles..FYI i have a several types of rounds for mine...like bird shot/ snake rounds...research it, I promise you'll want to go that route..if you try it..Brother.
edit on 1-12-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join