It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is in Your Grab and Go Bag/ SHTF setup?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Keep in mind my pack is set up for permanent mountain survival. (sub zero at times)

I have a military frame pack,

Contents:

Compass and Topographical maps.
Ka Bar knife.
2 reflective heat blankets (no thermal signature)
(3) Magnesium/ Flint sticks.
(2) Magnifying glass (for fires)
(20) hand and (20) toe warmers
Arctic Military gloves
-15 Mummy bag
Jungle hammock
Collapsible hack saw.
Mini Jetboil stove cooker w/ 2 extra tanks.
Assorted fishing flys.
100 feet of fishing line.
Sog Jungle Machete.
(2) long john tops
(2) long john lowers
Ski Socks
300 feet of Parachute cord
Knife sharpener
Field Surgical kit
(1000) Radiation tablets
4 Freeze dried meals
Water purifier w/ 2 extra filters.
2000 rounds of .22 (small game)
400 rounds of .40 (Defense)
600 rounds 5.56 (Defense)
100 rounds 12g 00 buck (Defense, Large game)
Collapsible water bladder
Shotgun strapped to the side

I physically wear on me

Trapper Hat
Bandanna
Military cold weather jacket (ECWCS)
Military cold weather Pants (ECWCS)
Long sleeved thermal shirt.
Dickies double knee pants.
Combat boots
Ski Socks
-Tactical vest
6 mags of 5.56
4 mags of .40
DD M4 rifle on a sling
-Belt
Sog seal pup Elite knife,
Drop leg holster w/ Sig P226 Elite Pistol
Hobo (spoon/knife/fork/Can opener)

SPILL YOUR LIST! let each other know if someone is missing or should add/ remove items.

edit on 23-11-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

Dang I'm gonna go simple and pick up as I go. How much was the cost? I guess I need to start!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jspencer98

Prob around 4,000 for everything. I just kinda got the gear over time. now im pretty set.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
always travel light..
1. 5' ironwood staff
2. Randall custom made knife thats served me well over the years.
3. Hammock
4. Flint
5. Bamboo tube full of water.
6. Leather bag that put items of use and food that find in the jungle in.
7. change of clothes.

Anything thing beyond that is unnecessary and dead weight.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

providing you aren't living in the colorado rockies...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
reply to post by Expat888

providing you aren't living in the colorado rockies...

out in the jungle in s.e asia... everything that need to live quite nicely out here...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Peanut Butter, ketchup, zippo and a spork. I keep it simple.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
In mine, i have an awesome, top of the line extreme weather tent with a 5 person capacity. The most important thing for me, in the Canadian wilderness, is something to shelter me from the frigid cold.

Also have a camping knapsack - comfortable and efficient to hold basic necessities,

A crossbow with 16 arrows - to kill animals for meat.. Of course, you have to have good aim, which i have, and its also nice because the arrows are reusable.

A hunting knife, to cut the animal up, to sharpen sticks, and other things that might come up

Windup flashlight/radio - a handy little unit. No need for batteries. Just wind, and you got light. And the light is also very bright as well.

Magnesium flint stick - to start fires.

Extreme weather boots - Cost 300$. Bought them a few years back. Again, the Canadian wilderness can be a torturous place if you aren't dressed properly.

4 or 5 books on Survival. One dealing with the Canadian wilderness. Another on edible and medicinal plants in Canada

I'm hoping this scenario never occurs, but you never know - seeing what happened in Nazi Europe just 70 years ago, so it's basic common sense to have such a provision in place.

edit on 23-11-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Suggestion:
Lose the firesteel/flint in lieu of a mini bic or 3.

mini bic lighters are :
Steel roller/striker, small flint stick, and fuel. in a tiny package.
You can start about 500 fires per bic before the fuel runs out then about 500 more from the sparks alone.
3 weigh less than a firesteel.

Firesteels are tacti-cool, and very "survivorman", but come on guys. use your noodle.

also...
If "one knife=one life", Im a cat... with 9 lives.
never thought to myself " this knife is too big".
Have often found " this knife is too small".

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

People who have spent time in the wilderness dont carry bics. There is a reason and that is when it gets very cold your fingers wont be working properly. You up your odds of surviving in the cold about 10 fold with flint and steel. Blast match is even safer for the cold hands. just push.

I keep:
1.Strikeforce rod set
2. a pack of cheap bics
3.a Scripto vu lighter (what the folks in the know pack)
4. 2x4oz cans of fluid.
5. 10x jewelers lens.

Looking at fire pistons as well, for a main device.

Of course this is for bug out bags. two different methods should be fine to get where your going.

If your going INCB or INCH then your break away pack carries a couple.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
If serious crap happens in my city I'm going to try to make it over to my church and help with disaster relief.

There's no way I could survive alone. I don't have the training, nor access to the gear.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

agree 100%

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

Quite often that is the first correct move. I have seen impossible things along the way.

And im certain there was supernatural intervention.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker

People who have spent time in the wilderness dont carry bics. There is a reason and that is when it gets very cold your fingers wont be working properly. You up your odds of surviving in the cold about 10 fold with flint and steel. Blast match is even safer for the cold hands. just push.

I keep:
1.Strikeforce rod set
2. a pack of cheap bics
3.a Scripto vu lighter (what the folks in the know pack)
4. 2x4oz cans of fluid.
5. 10x jewelers lens.

Looking at fire pistons as well, for a main device.

Of course this is for bug out bags. two different methods should be fine to get where your going.

If your going INCB or INCH then your break away pack carries a couple.

False information my friend.

You should go outside right now and make a campfire with both methods and come tell us which method is easier under pressure or stress.

The following is posted from the real experiences of a seasoned 43 year old redneck hunter/tracker/explorer/instructor. ( disclaimer:I do carry a firesteel in my large BOB, but only as a last resort/backup, but never as a primary firestarting tool.)

1 If your fingers are so cold you cannot roll a bic lighter and strike it, a firesteel will be useless.
You need more dexterity and mobility to use a firesteel or piston than a bic lighter. ask any fan of icefishing.

2. A bic lighter IS a firesteel.,. that's easier to use, self contained, and has built in fuel. so no huffing and puffing into a tinder pile. It's the evolution of the flintstriker, don't limit yourself to crude implements when a better, more efficient tool is available. That's just silly.
I no longer add firesteel loops to my custom sheaths, I add lighter loops to hold bics.
3. they cost abot $0.50 each. and will be availabvle everywhere even after TSHTF

I have a feeling when the SHTF, we'll see alot of mall-ninja dressed, tacticool equipped corpses.

edit to add: I used to think like you too.. that a firesteel was MUST when in the wild, but very wise man showed me just how silly I was when he showed me that a bic is the finest, easiest to use flint striker-firestarting tool known to man, and he explained that I was a fool to think that scratching a rock is a better idea.
The wise man was 77years old and has lived in the deep swamp all his life.
He would have a fire going while I was still "scratching a rock" as he put it.

Bic as psimary, Firesteel.flint rock as a last resort/backup tool.
We are not in the 1800's any longer guys... I wouldn't limit myself to a black powder rifle either.

If you are going to do something..do it right.

edit on 11/24/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/24/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

You probably better try them yourself in real conditions. Better yet pack your fingers in ice for 30 min and lay the methods all out in front of you. then if you want to keep your bics like I did, go ahead. just be aware they are for warmer seasons.

Anyone in the colder north should have a blast match, fire steel or scripto vu. Preferably all 3.
Rock solid reason no one can debate? once your fingers lose their strength and dexterity they will still have enough grip to use arm motion for those three methods. The scripto vu has no safety on the strike wheel and can be lit with one hand, slapped open and rolled down a pant leg.

She no worka that way witha safety bic.

This is obvious to anyone that has been there and done that. The folks reading here also know this, they are just laughing at you rather than responding. I camp outside at above zero and never have any problems. 7-14+ degrees doesnt mean a thing if you have the skill set for it. Im actually quite comfortable and warm. I will be placer mining in Jan through March and running a sluice in glacier melt, while my buddy is off his claim. My only worry is keeping the dog wrapped and warm while im working.

I just hope you wake up for your sake.

One more thing. when that bic is soaking wet and its 20 degrees outside its not going to dry out under your coat before you freeze to death. Blast matches and fire steel work just fine.

edit on 24-11-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You probably better try them yourself in real conditions. Better yet pack your fingers in ice for 30 min and lay the methods all out in front of you. then if you want to keep your bics like I did, go ahead. just be aware they are for warmer seasons.

I have. over 30 years hardcore experience. some I won't even post about here.

Anyone in the colder north should have a blast match, fire steel or scripto vu. Preferably all 3.
Rock solid reason no one can debate? once your fingers lose their strength and dexterity they will still have enough grip to use arm motion for those three methods. The scripto vu has no safety on the strike wheel and can be lit with one hand, slapped open and rolled down a pant leg.

She no worka that way witha safety bic.

yes, it will work like that with a bic.
I stand by my post and my decades of real time experience.
I am not posting what I read, Im posting what I KNOW.
I hold the 1983-84 record B&C buck for my state.

This is obvious to anyone that has been there and done that. The folks reading here also know this, they are just laughing at you rather than responding. I camp outside at above zero and never have any problems. 7-14+ degrees doesnt mean a thing if you have the skill set for it. Im actually quite comfortable and warm. I will be placer mining in Jan through March and running a sluice in glacier melt, while my buddy is off his claim. My only worry is keeping the dog wrapped and warm while im working.

I just hope you wake up for your sake.

I'll wake warm and dry.
laugh all you want from your pc ..again I know what Im talking about. anyone not trying to look cool or sound "survivorman slick" knows better.
work smarter, not harder.
[/QUOTE]
One more thing. when that bic is soaking wet and its 20 degrees outside its not going to dry out under your coat before you freeze to death. Blast matches and fire steel work just fine.

That bic will light wet ( ask any smoker how to do this.. they will run their bic under a faucet and light a smoke with in within 10 seconds).

My advice?... stop reading Blogs and go try it.
Ive already proven to myself Im right with experience.
The rest is up to you.

What's that old saying?
you can lead a horse to water..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Mall ninja work isnt going to cut it.

Watch some more youtube. I will think about you when i'm selling my gold.

No point in arguing the bic lighter method. Its been laughed off a couple of the major survival boards and the mods suspended the theory giver for 3 days at at one major site. Run the method by the 70,000+ real world folks over there at survivalistboards. Let us know how that works out for ya.

Telling people things that will get them killed in a survival situation is totally uncool. Im surprised one of the knowledgeable mods here didnt clamp down on that idea right off the bat.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I always have issues with BICs when I try to light up a smoke in the morning, due to it spending a night inside the car.
As for my bag, I will end up looking like a mall ninja, since most of the sh** I carry is either SDK or CIF/RFI..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Mall ninja work isnt going to cut it.

Well, nice personal shot there, survivorman.

Watch some more youtube. I will think about you when i'm selling my gold.

lol.. So ...your fingers are so frozen you can't strike a bic..but you can still hoard gold?
Oookay then.

I can track just about anything..except your logic.
Don't worry 'bout me..when the old bic gives out,
I'll just grab my "Bear Grylls" signature firesteel off the nearest frozen "survival expert's" corpse.
Should be thousands of 'em...I'll look for the gold.

No point in arguing the bic lighter method. Its been laughed off a couple of the major survival boards and the mods suspended the theory giver for 3 days at at one major site.[/qoute]

Well, if the MODS on a website say so.. then that settles it!
lmao.
I couldn't make responses like that up.

[qoute] Run the method by the 70,000+ real world folks over there at survivalistboards. Let us know how that works out for ya.

"Real World Folks on the Survivalistboards"".. that's like "Peacekeeper Missle"

I guess because I not primative .. and don't agree with the "online experts"...enough Im not real.

70,000+ firesteels huh? I'll be fine.

Telling people things that will get them killed in a survival situation is totally uncool. Im surprised one of the knowledgeable mods here didnt clamp down on that idea right off the bat.

I can assure you, ALL the survivalist message boards are 99% filled with BS that will get you killed including this one, however, my posts are 100% accurate and I never suggest anything I havent already bet my life on.

You can sit behind a keyboard and take shots at me all you want, I've spent more time outdoors than most "survival experts" and surveyed more than 11,000 square miles of swamp, staying out for weeks at a time.
Ive worked with DNR and private firefighting companies, and helped train and sell equipment to federal and state LEO departments.

Im retired now, and I don't blow smoke up peoples aft vents when I talk about this stuff.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I cannot believe you guys are arguing over a bic lighter....

Why not have both

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join