It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you preparing for the worse case scenario? (It's a question, not some weird end of the world ne

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I am just curious about how many people are stocking up on supplies for a major event. I'm not referring to a hurricane,a tornado, or an earthquake type thing. I mean if the SHTF type thing. I haven't stocked up myself, but I am going to soon. I have a brother-in-law who thinks he's 'Rambo', but he's a really nice guy. I used to think he was a little crazy, I don't think he's so crazy anymore.

I have tried to convince my friends and other family members that it's a good idea to be prepared for what I feel is inevitable. Guess what....now I'm the crazy guy. I try not to sound like a fearmonger it just seems wise to be prepared for.....change.

Some people are more responsive than they were even six months ago, my mother for example. I think it's a good idea to be prepared if you don't over do it.

I try to enjoy everyday, I know I spend too much time on my computer and watching TV, but that's what I enjoy doing.

Sometimes I think I worry too much, what do you think?

Here is a link to an article that got me thinking:stlouis.cbslocal.com...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In the past two years I got all my licensing for legal firearms ownership and have purchase a pistol and rifle. Truthfully....for this reason. Hope I don't need to use em on people, but having them makes me feel better.Also have taken training coerces.

Next step is to have some basic survival gear available. I may be laughed at by my friends and family, But knowing I'll be able to possibly protect them if S goes down.......
edit on 23-11-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Not only weapons, are you worried about the basics like food, water, electric, first aid, etc. ?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

That's next on the list. I am already buying extra non perishables every time I go shopping to add to stock....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
im stashing up survival gear guns and ammo

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Like I said in my opening post I think I'm going to begin stocking up, I hope it's just paranoia. Thanks for your perspective.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
- Benjamin Franklin

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Nice quote, I guess that says it all.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've been prepared for years. Just because I live on a boat. So I'm always well stocked on staples like rice, beans, coffee, by the fifty lb bagfuls. I've got a watermaker that can make 800 gallons a day of pure water. Lots of weapons, loads of fishing and spearfishing gear. Full radio comms, radar, nav gear, etc. adn solar panels and a wind generator to power it all. And it's a sailboat, so of course I can escape any rioting etc. and need no fuel to do so.

So as long as they don't poison the entire ocean, which it does seem like they are trying to do between BP and Fukushima, I'm pretty well prepared.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Luckily I live in a pretty temperate region and on an island. yes the island has a population over 300,000 but most of it is pure forest (well....from what they haven't logged). With Water/shelter/woodland animals/flatland a plenty. This Island could be quite self sufficient if it so choose in a SHTF scenario.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think that everyone, regardless of what your fear my be, should be able to take care of themselves without relying on a government or society. It's our right as human beings.
I have always worked on being self sufficent, lived simply and really enjoy the company of survivalists and outdoors(wo)men. I have a little homestead, make a living of herbal medicine, selling at farmers markets, teaching classes in the summer and I hunker down in the winter. "Emergency supplies" a little different for me I think. I tend to spend summers preparing for winters and winters planning for summers.I am certain that if things went bad I would be perfectly fine.

You can always eat the stock piled food, use your hunting skills for photography, outdoor skills for camping with friends ect. There's no harm in knowledge and it does teach you to be more in tune with nature and getting away from societies expectations of you. I honestly think everyone should be ready for the worst, it's actually fun to learn the skills that you'll need to take care of yourself and a confidence comes from knowing you can.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yea I recently realized If I could go back 6 years I'd plan on becoming a Conservation Officer.....the life skillz those men and women have are something I now realize i would love to have.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Yeah, it looks like your okay as long as you stay away from The Gulf and Japan.

My problem is I don't have a lot of expendable cash and most of this stuff costs big $$$. Right now I can buy some extra food, maybe some first aid supplies. I live in Phoenix so I don't want too much baggage anyway, I want to be able to get out of the city without leaving too much behind.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It's never to late. I think people fear letting go of their material lives to much and in having a nice car, big house, flat screen tv... it takes courage to let these things go, even if it's just mentally. The world takes on a whole new light when you know you can live without them.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

Honestly, money can buy you survival stuff but knowledge is the most important. It's free to go to the library, take out some books on wild edibles, tool making, homesteading and survival...so start there!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
No.. Life is meant to be lived not spent cowering in fear..
Everyone dies no escaping it and pointless to worry about dying.

Get everything that need from my garden, fishing, the jungle and trade with the local villagers on occasion .. No need to worry over whether or not have enough.

Cant help but wonder .. If it got to the point over there that people had to use their stockpiles ... What are they going to do when the stockpiles run out or someone else robs them of their stockpile ?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

You're right, can't put a dollar amount on knowledge. (well some people do but I don't think you should.)
Good advice.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I don't know what I would do if my stockpile ran out. Good insight, gives me something to think about. I guess knowledge is the greatest power.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix
reply to post by Expat888

I don't know what I would do if my stockpile ran out. Good insight, gives me something to think about. I guess knowledge is the greatest power.

the two greatest things to have - knowledge and skill
the best tool - your mind

its something that many dont stop to think about.. to them once they have their stockpiles they're set..
far more to living than just having a stockpile..
sometimes think modern living has taken away most peoples natural instincts.. they rely too much on the conveniences of modern civilisation ..

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I kan see Ewe, you are smart consider preparedness., It's common sense..
The government will not be there for us. So get started. Truly, I have got some things laid by myself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join