It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

##Members Please Read##: Ending the Political Trolling

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I applaud the idea of keeping things civil and truly of a well thought out response even if we are passionate, but not getting personal or attacking. Having said that, I will be watching for the uneven dishing out of moderation. I have witnessed it countless times. Mods seem to gravitate to a certain spectrum of thinking given the owners own proclivities.

I have seen conservative forums allow abuse of less than conservative members, and I have more often seen liberal minded forums allow a lot more cheap shots at conservatives and when the conservative bites back then the mods step in and it's suddenly the conservatives fault despite being bated for 3 pages even after asking for some moderation.

So, I hope it's even, no favoritism, and fair.

I personally love a good debate and remain unemotional despite my passions, but for the most part am used to getting flamed. That being said, I am no saint, so I hope it all works out.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

yamammasamonkey
How bout a definition of trolling? I originally believed trolling to be someone enlisted in the practice of scanning websites in order to spread info which contradicts the oppositions line of thinking, basically creating propaganda for their cause. It seems to me like people just claim to be "trolled" when someone continually pisses them off with a contradictory opinion. Does it have anything to do with not having a developed opinion and just using a one line jab at a poster? I am still not sure, because each time someone starts crying troll, troll, mostly it is just someone disagreeing with them wholeheartedly.
edit on 26-1-2012 by yamammasamonkey because: add

I agree, and I love the "You're a disinfo agent!!!!" because you don't like what they say. My mother always said if your opponent has to resort to name calling then they have nothing left to offer as an argument and you've won!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

yeahright
reply to post by BrianFlanders

It has nothing to do with popular vs unpopular opinions and everything to do with schoolyard name calling. We'd prefer to be a discussion venue. There are only a few million sites out there where you can be abusive and name call to your heart's content. I don't think those with a desire to do that are being deprived by not being able to do it here.

Well, you're a moderator. What else are you going to say?

I haven't even posted much here and I have already seen one thread that I invested a lot of time and passion in locked down because the mods apparently thought there was too much enthusiasm going on.

I'm just saying that sometimes even trolls have something valuable to say. Even if they're not even trying to. Even if everyone else hates what they have to say. Even if they are causing problems. People usually don't want to hear things that challenge their convictions. People usually react most negatively to the kinds of things they need to hear the most. Coincidentally, these things often tend to be construed as abuse because there is no polite way to tell someone certain things.

We live in an age in which the way people used to settle their differences aren't acceptable anymore. People do still have differences that simply cannot be reconciled in a friendly manner. We are not moving to a higher plane of existence by shutting out people who express themselves in ways we may find unpleasant. We're isolating ourselves from reality.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Every time I come to ATS these days, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's just too far gone to save from the political trolling at this point. When we have mods who gleefully participate, and make no bones about it, dismissing anybody with conflicting political views as stupid and/or bought and paid for.. just makes a lot of people want to not come back.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I've long had a problem with my thinks

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm glad this stance is being taken.
I assume the constant reference to any and all Trump supporters as "brown shirts" will be treated with zero tolerance?

It's totally unfair, inaccurate, petty, juvenile, snide name calling that tries to smear and belittle a political opponents base in a pathetic attempt to silence and shame those people.

Law abiding people listening to a candidate in an democratic process isn't the same as fascist bully boys attacking people and silencing dissent...if anything it's those people doing the attacking that feel fascist to me.

This isn't about my personal allegiance. It's about the same treatment for both sides and the respect mentioned so often in the OP.

I appreciate this is an old thread and wasn't about todays situation, but the sentiment is still valid I feel so it's worth commenting.

edit on 8-2-2016 by Godabove09 because: Typo.

edit on 8-2-2016 by Godabove09 because: Typo.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This American presidential politics is too much. Alternative media is full of it. It is good that there is effert to put some limitations at least. Who is the president in USA doesn't seem to matter much and the voters doesn't seem to have much to say who becomes the president, so why to debate about it? Anyhow I follow it a bit like amusement.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Bump
This thread needs to be brought up again.
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You guys will be busy.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: astrologypandit01

That goes without sayin'.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
So...

Here we are once again. Approaching that wonderful time known as the Presidential campaign season. GOP and the Democrats are tunin' up the band to get their guy, or gal, elected to that really comfortable chair in the Oval Office of the White House that sits right behind the Resolute Desk... It must be comfortable right? Or they would act like such jackholes tryin' to get there, or sell their souls to the highest bidder...

As I said, here we are again...

We know that things are going to get contentious. They're going to get rambunctious. Even downright rude between the two or three candidates... We know that, right? Yeah, I'd say we do...

A good fifty percent of you don't give a flyin' whatevre who sits their butts in that chair... The other fifty percent of you, do care...and care quite a lot. ...and are willing to say so quite vociferously, loudly, passionately, and unfortunately, rudely. Gee, just like your fave candidate is going to.

How about we try something a tad bit different this go around...

State your position, and just leave it at that... No need to call those who disagree disagreeable names. Or accuse them of crime against humanity because their candidate isn't yours.

If I happen to think Donald Trump is the saviour of the Universe (I don't, by the way), and that he and BattleCat are going to save us all, then that's OK...you don't need to call me a warmongering moron. Just disagree, tell me why, and move on. YOu don't need to use another whole paragraph or five extolling the virtues of tarring and feathering me. Seriously, you don't.

There's really no need to do so, y'know?

You happen to think Hillary Clinton is just peachy, and will be the greatest thing since Gutenberg set type? Cool. I'm going to disagree with that take, but I'm not going to call you names for it.

Why don't we try that?

Is that asking too much of y'all?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Is that asking too much of y'all?

Yeah.
Just guessing so.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I fail to see the harm in trying, though.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Hope does spring

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join