It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Director Oliver Stone lashes out at US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Director Oliver Stone lashes out at US

www.channel24.co.za

"Americans are not really interested in problems abroad," he said. "They have no empathy."

The Occupy Wall Street movement would do better to move to "Washington and not New York, to have more impact", said Stone, ........
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Some may recall my exact words posted here within ats, good see oliver is actually trolling ats. On the other hand its no secret that hollywood screen writers have and do visit ats for some sort of inspiration, well that is what i assume anyway, not that i am able to verify that but then again i doubt there is anyone who could deny it either.

www.channel24.co.za

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If you google the stats between 10 and 30% of Americans have passports..... Take the real figure then its about 27%.

Brits have a 93% passport rate and Australians are the highest travelers on the globe. Why do these numbers add up?

Discuss yourself but i know from traveling to 28 countrys.

Apparently America is better than the rest of the world (im not saying you at ATS believe this).

Edit to say thats not the USA is better but the USA citizens are more naive to the rest of the world
edit on 20-11-2011 by Master Shen long because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE. Also, awesome. I did enjoy Italy though. UK boring, Germany neat etc. etc. would rather see Alaska to be honest.

OP why should I give even the slightest poo about what someone from Hollywood has to say?

UK = 80823 sq mi

US = 9826630 sq km

Leaving drunk mistake. Stars if you see it!
edit on 20-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Some may recall my exact words posted here within ats, good see oliver is actually trolling ats. On the other hand its no secret that hollywood screen writers have and do visit ats for some sort of inspiration, well that is what i assume anyway, not that i am able to verify that but then again i doubt there is anyone who could deny it either.

I hate this sort of "trolling," from people like him. Verbal diarrhea that proves he plans to make a butt load more money off of his own opinions.

Mr. Stone should get his butt to Washington himelf, instead of DIRECTING others from his self serving podeum in Europe.

Edit to add:

I really do hope he reads ATS!
edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: spelling and add text

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Until recently one didn't need a passport to visit Canada, Mexico and a lot of the neighboring islands. The US is so vast you could spend a lifetime touring it. The US is such a melting pot of different people from all over the world it is easy to know about other places through them. The majority of Americans who have passports now are either immigrants who go home to visit or have them for business trips affiliated with work. The wrong idea is that the American people have a lot of money that was and is not true.there has always been a wealth desparity here. It takes money to go off and see the world or have the luxury to be away from worl. I have know one person who could do that.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
"Americans are not really interested in problems abroad," he said. "They have no empathy."

Why should we?
We cant even get our own country in order let alone trying to help out other countries(whose population doesnt even get the money anyways).

You have other players who can help a little bit, why does it always have to be us that gets involved everywhere?
Half the time they dont want us there anyways.

Also- theres 50 states, 57 if you are Obama.

I have been to 6. That leaves me quite a bit of touring to go on in my own country before I go to these other places.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think what Master Shen long ment was naivety to the rich cultural diversity and history of the rest of the world.

In this case size really doesn't matter.

ETA: "Germany... neat" That's what people always say. Why "neat"? Whats so "neat" about Germany?

reply to post by Common Good

You might find one or two things you can learn from other countries to get your own country in order... I agree on the rest of your post though.
edit on 20-11-2011 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2011 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

Until recently one didn't need a passport to visit Canada, Mexico and a lot of the neighboring islands. The US is so vast you could spend a lifetime touring it. The US is such a melting pot of different people from all over the world it is easy to know about other places through them. The majority of Americans who have passports now are either immigrants who go home to visit or have them for business trips affiliated with work. The wrong idea is that the American people have a lot of money that was and is not true.there has always been a wealth desparity here. It takes money to go off and see the world or have the luxury to be away from worl. I have know one person who could do that.

It took me 340 UK pounds to set off and work in about 17 countrys and that was back in 2002 and im still away and happy with a family. Never returned for anyhting except visit my sisters and uncle for a few weeks here and there.

The usa is not the largest country it is just very small compared to what the rest of the world see.

But the rest of the world sew your clothes....

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE. Also, awesome. I did enjoy Italy though. UK boring, Germany neat etc. etc. would rather see Alaska to be honest.

Doesn't matter where you go in America - you will still see America.

I see this justification used a lot by Americans, it's quite frankly arrogant and a remarkable display of just how closed off from the outside world most Americans are.

Good on Oliver Stone for at least recognising this.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

OP why should I give even the slightest poo about what someone from Hollywood has to say?

UK = 80823 sq mi

US = 9826630 sq km

Leaving drunk mistake. Stars if you see it!

Is the bolded word your drunken mistake? No capital letter? Do I win?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Meh I'm American and have been all over Europe and a few countries in below America. Great experiences sure, but in all honesty I would rather see more of the US. Italy is something I treasure, the rest, meh. South America is much more fun. I actually agree that Americans (and myself) are rather ignorant of the rest of the world, but it's bliss living here.

Just a heads up to the slobbering masses about to ridicule the rest of my posts in this thread. The outlandish things I say may be jokes. GET MAD
Not intended for any posters within the first two pages.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

Why should we?
We cant even get our own country in order let alone trying to help out other countries(whose population doesnt even get the money anyways).

You have other players who can help a little bit, why does it always have to be us that gets involved everywhere?
Half the time they dont want us there anyways.

Also- theres 50 states, 57 if you are Obama.

I have been to 6. That leaves me quite a bit of touring to go on in my own country before I go to these other places.

We should have empathy because a lot of what we do impacts the whole world. Our economy impacts the world and when we let the banks start doing what they wanted we screwed over Europe as well. The reason why we get involved everywhere is because we stick our noses in everywhere.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I see this justification used a lot by Americans, it's quite frankly arrogant and a remarkable display of just how closed off from the outside world most Americans are.

Good on Oliver Stone for at least recognising this.

I visited Chicago back in 2004, hated it. From the moment i stepped off at O'hare to leaving 5 weeks later. That wasnt the everyday joe but the authority ridden workers.

I never had seen such a crime ridden country with so much self loving. No offence fellow ats peeps but i never knew about total police and government control and im from the UK.
The most amazing country's and most amazing people i have ever met in my life have all been from western abused nations...... I would rather reincarnate in a 3rd world country and be me than a western peice of self loving scum.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

'We' didn't screw over Europe. Europe and our banker overlords screwed over Europe. How long did it take us to be superior? Not long. GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH. Europe is, at best, a joke. They hate us for our Freedumb.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Um...I think we can agree that there is a huge difference between a desert and a forest, right? So, whereas one may be in the same country, it's not necessarily the same things that you're experiencing. It's not a matter of arrogance, it's just how Americans view their country.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

www.channel24.co.za

Correct me if i'm wrong, but....

Because he has voiced an opinion or an idea that is similar to your own, you think he's been trolling ATS and is now voicing what you wrote?

edit on 20-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I thought you said you visited Europe and then you spew out a BS like this. There is more freedom in Europe than in the fascist USA.

Either you have never been to Europe or you were so drunk during your trip that you cant remember how it really is.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

You visited THE WORST PLACE in our country. We call it s**tcago for a reason. Come to the US. The real US. I visited your country (we would call it a state 'cause it's little ittle). I've learned you hate authority, and the US is perhaps (oh who are we kidding...) the biggest authority in the world. You would love our Freedom Fries.

I was going to go even further over the top, but I'll stop. Not everyone on this site is a brit, they may lack a dry sense of humour. Weird, the colour red keeps showing up, indicating I have misspelled words.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I never had seen such a crime ridden country with so much self loving.

You can't take an experience in a big city and apply it to an entire country; especially a large country like America. It's just not fair. City folk are generally different from the general populous of the country that they're in. Cities generally where crime is centralized.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join