It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland Calls for total west coast port shutdown on 12/12

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

I would like to go on record and say, "Thank you, Occupy. Thank you very much!"

Once again, you have proven myself and several others right.

Occupy has now become the home of thugs, and mindless haters.

The "Occupy" apologists should be asking for overtime.

They're gonna need it!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by yak055h

Well if at all possible, use your influence amongst the Baby Boomers to get them to see what's happening. OWS sees that it won't have Social Security when the time comes and it's very possible that you guys' retirement will be sharply short changed or non-existent. I really believe that to be possible. Robert Kiyosaki predicted that in one of his Rich Dad, Poor Dad books, though I'm not sure which right now.

When it comes time for you guys to retire, being the largest group of folks, the investors among you will begin to pull the money out of the stock market to support yourselves in retirement. This will cause a slow crash in the stock market. Those without much in investment will rely more on social security or have to work until they die. That last bit is what the rest of us face if we are not listened to.

Just help look for solutions rather than cut people down. It takes courage to stop yourself from usual knee-jerk reactions.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by diamondsmith

I would like to go on record and say, "Thank you, Occupy. Thank you very much!"

Once again, you have proven myself and several others right.

Occupy has now become the home of thugs, and mindless haters.

The "Occupy" apologists should be asking for overtime.

They're gonna need it!

Are you referring to whatever nasty thing that was said by that person? Don't know what it was, but guess it sounded threatening.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMatrixusesYou

Occupy is showing it's "solidaity" to the 99% by. . . . um. . . . . hurting the 99%.

Yeah, I have disdain for this "movement".

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

My influence reaches 3 or 4 people. Nightly news and news websites reach millions. Perception is everything.

Peace............yak055h

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well,well you agents...you are very weak for occupy...but how the old song sings...will meet again somewhere someday ...under the sky....!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
What detractors seem to not be realizing is that the Longshoremen wanted the initial Shutdown and they want this one as well, this is a coordinated effort of strike and protest between Occupy and Unions. Unions did and will strike because:

What many OWS supporters seem to not realize is that many despise the idea of Union involvement in a supposedly movement of the people. I'm glad you clarified this [Coordinated effort between Union and OWS]

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by yak055h

My influence reaches 3 or 4 people. Nightly news and news websites reach millions. Perception is everything.

Peace............yak055h

Yes, but do you see my point? It takes courage to rise above, to overcome despair that keeps you from even trying to talk to those 3 or 4 people thinking you don't have the influence. If you really think about it, most people don't use courage and I think it's because they don't understand how it works. The best analogy I have is it's like a lit match in total darkness. It's up to the match to create the light and to cast light on the world around it.

Dylan Thomas' Do not go gentle into that good night:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears,
I pray. Do not go gentle into that good night.

Show that you are part of a Republic and that you have strength as an individual and a person. And be an example to those around you that will give them courage to be strong as well.

This is how you create your world and your existence. You have that right. Everyone is just so downtrodden, they don't think they have strength anymore.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Occupy is showing it's "solidaity" to the 99% by. . . . um. . . . . hurting the 99%.

Yeah, I have disdain for this "movement".

Please. Instead of striking it down, make efforts to guide it. Do you not think there is a real meltdown happening that will have serious adverse effects on you and your family?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by jibeho

Hate to remind you, but that's kind of the point. The city loses money, and starts realizing that if it doesn't cater to or at least LISTEN to the people, they will mess up it's money. By your own logic, we were wrong for taking our money out of banks because they lost money, and some bankers are probably gonna lose jobs, right?

You confuse me. You say that you want attention from the city and want to obstruct their revenue flow. Oakland has one of the most progressive mayors on the West Coast in a State that is one of the most progressive in the union. A state and a city that are both just one breath away from total insolvency due to out of control spending and an ever decreasing tax base. Can't get blood out of a turnip.

How then does crippling Oakland send a message to "greedy" "banksters" on Wall Street? How does it send a message to Congress and Obama? How does it change anything? None of this makes sense not will it foster any permanent and real reform.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part; you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all! - Mario Savio

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Peaceful demonstration has shown to thus far be in this case non effective............the sitting demonstrators, unarmed, non threatening are pepper sprayed and battred in the head and stomach with police clubs.....don't believe me, reply back and I will put up (again) a dozen videos.

The only two things the big boys, the real 1%, the real power (not the govenment, not the police, not the military) will undertstand are two things................a cut or disruption in their profits and if they or their loved ones get hurt or worse.

If the longshoremen that make good salaries are willing to assist this boycott - godspeed - maybe just maybe there are still some real humans that haven't sold their souls yet.

No selling your soul isn't having a demon pop up and have you sign something in blood - that's medieval thinking.

Many people everyday sell their souls.

The claims adjuster that knows they will get extra points if they reject a WC Claim even though the worker was truly injured on the job.............(happens a lot) and the TPA Firms work not for the employee but for the employer (the companies, the valued clients).

The government officials that vote for corporate interests because the corporations and banks have bought them out. (That's why our governments are corrupt)

The manager that pushes through abusive policies through bullying tactics at the workplace hoping this keeps their job and gets themself more money and power climbing over and screwing over those below them

When you knowingly or (play games with yourself in order to not take psychological responsibility) screw over another person "to get ahead" to "survive" ..........................yes you have sold your soul.

This existence is a test.

A test to see what each and everyone of us is truly made of.

Are we service to self (greedy/self serving) or service to others (share/willing to uphold justice for all)

No on the fence................each person that reads this post decides for themself.

Something needs to happen.

The way our current leaders are running and ruining our planet, our health and the 1% having 90% of everything while the 99% have 10% is insane and humanly wrong.

Things must change.

I pray, I seriously hope this can be done through non-violence.

But just sitting around camping out and holding hands isn't going to end the tyranny and enslavement.

First and foremost - if humanity is to survive into the next century, we must stop the hate, violence and allowing a few to control the many and the few to be allowed to have most of the "stuff" (the resources).

We currently have on this planet, 30,000 people each and every day that die from lack of food, water and shelter............most are under the age of 8. Children.

We currently in this country alone kill 8-10 million dogs and cats a year simply because we cannot logically manage their production.

We currently are really messing up, ruining our planet big time and if that problem alone is not addressed, pretty soon we may reach a point of no return.

We currently still war, hate and allow fellow humans, including world leaders, to commit atrocities without protest, without rebelling.

Most of us simply don't see the big picture..................how what affects one of us, affects all of us.

If ports are shut down, if businesses (the almighty ruling corporations) really become affected you can bet your bottom dollar, that if profits are affected, there will be an escalation.

Hopefully, this will become a world movement and more people will wake up and begin to care not only for their own self-interest, but begin to really care for the welfare of our planet and those less fortunate.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Whatever else they claim this to be for or about, I think it's just an event on the "Stay Relevant Through Winter" agenda and little else. For the Union guys, it'll be a free shopping day as Christmas approaches. They are among those with disposable income to spend, so I am sure they'll appreciate that day off.

The fact is they are announcing this so far in advance it can't be much more than a staged media event and photo op. Major shipping will have plenty of time to adjust where necessary for unload dates prior to or after the date here. Interesting media tactic, I'll grant them that. I can't see this as being anything else though.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Union workers are as affected by the "1%" as the rest of the "99%", corporate workers are all throughout the movement as well. More and more join all the time Doctors, Nurses, vets from military branch, retired police, church clergy, elderly. The specific action here has to do with workers rights being diminished, I see no problem. I guess we can add Union to the list of big scary words eh?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i find it hilarious that we cry for change, then the moment the change comes you side with the authority to get back the peace and stability we had. LOL. what a load of crap. I hope they shut the port down, they lose millions and go bankrupt.
yes it hurts the common man, for a bit. but it's designed to hurt them and not the people who hurt us!
hopefully, you march on DC and force them all to resign.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Kali74
What detractors seem to not be realizing is that the Longshoremen wanted the initial Shutdown and they want this one as well, this is a coordinated effort of strike and protest between Occupy and Unions. Unions did and will strike because:

What many OWS supporters seem to not realize is that many despise the idea of Union involvement in a supposedly movement of the people. I'm glad you clarified this [Coordinated effort between Union and OWS]

Your post and the stars it got totally made my day. Here you are against OWS and pretending to be concerned about a corrupting influence on it.
You would do not support them, but you are worried what Unions might do to their message which you already have a problem with. Why do you think anyone in OWS would care what someone like you thinks about union involvement? All the union guys I know are hard working middle class folks trying to get by like the rest of us. They are people too. But your logic is so twisted that all I see are two opposing talking points that do not realize how much they cancel each other out.

You do not like OWS.
You do not like what unions might do to the OWS you already do not like.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Nope...

Just another reason why a large percentage of the population wont join the movement. Face it, not everything done by OWS will be popular for various reasons.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenWun
Your post and the stars it got totally made my day:

No problem.

Anytime chuckles.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Keep believing the polls and the MSM about activities and the numbers, they're proven wrong constantly. The massive protests the other day? CBS, NYPost and several others gave numbers around 5,000. NYPD, funnily enough, estimated 36,000 and that was just NYC. The last day of strike in Oakland was estimated 50,000 and this upcoming one will probably be larger. You can deny it all you want. But the movement is growing and beginning to have affect.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join