It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of a lifeless planet?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Has anyone really thought about this? What is the meaning of a lifeless planet or an uninhabitable one? Is a planet made for life or does life is meant to thrive? What if there are no gas giants in our solar system? How does it alter ours?

Alright the big bang was an accident and so is everything-just one big accident. But what is the point of having lifeless planets with no land? Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn has certainly a telling effect on the other bodies. They do try to figure out whats with the storm in Jupiter but is there really a point in dumping money on big gas gaints? Does it seem a pointless pursuit? But looks like there is a hell lot of waste space. That really supports the theory that life itself is an accident and evolution is very true. What really happens if there are no such planets?
edit on 20-11-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Somethings, are just beyond the reach of our knowledge. We still have a lot to learn about the Universe. Most planets are the work of gravity, and on some planets the right elements came together to make them habitable for life.

Gravity works in weird ways.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Has anyone really thought about this? What is the meaning of a lifeless planet or an uninhabitable one?

We don't even know the meaning of our lives and planet; how would anyone know the question to that?

S and F though, thinking of the question is the whole battle.
edit on 20-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
That is a very interesting question. I cannot pretend to have any answers, but I'll give you my opinion.

I believe that NOTHING is useless or a coincidence. Everything has a very specific purpose right down to the smallest atom.

I believe it's very possible that all planets are actually either inhabited - in different dimensions - or used as portals.

Anyway, thanks for bringing up the question, I have wondered this, too.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

Some things just are.
Not everything has a point or a purpose.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Also Jupiter helps us out a lot by pulling in comets and asteroids that would have otherwise been on a collision course with Earth.

Jupiter rocks!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What is the purpose of life?

edit on 20-11-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by angellicview

how do we know life does not exist on a different dimension on those planets? whats the point of the hexagon on Saturn?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I like this question. It's fun to ponder the possibilities? It's really quite humbling if you think about it. There are x number of planets out there and some of them are much larger than Earth. So what do you do with something that big and empty? Are they simply to balance that specific solar system? Or is there something bigger behind it?

Meh, there's so much to wonder. One poster in this thread was correct: how are we supposed to know why there are empty planets and what they are useful for? I do think though that it is beneficial to ponder such absurd (respectfully) questions. While we may never know; why not have several possible answers instead of brushing a question like this off our shoulders as if it were as unimportant as dust.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Any bigger or any smaller ... Any closer or any further away ...
And the moon would not perfectly cover the sun during an eclipse.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Planet is a term that we give to rocks or balls of gas of a certain size. The universe just thinks its a rock. So one could say that the universe is not concerned with making sure that every odd rock is populated with life.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Any bigger or any smaller ... Any closer or any further away ...
And the moon would not perfectly cover the sun during an eclipse.
.... but our Moon actually is constantly moving further away.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

This is the purpose of life

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

This is the purpose of life
No its not

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Experience? To experience life in a limited or a limitless form? But ´what´ actually experiences life is an entirely different question. Whether its ´us´-physical body or something wearing us?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Did you even read that article? You posted inside of 4 minutes... Hardly enough time.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by radkrish

They are there for Obama to invade. Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic. Geeks say they keep our planet in line, something about gravity and blah blah blah. Treehuggers say humans were already there and destroyed them like we are doing this one. I think they are future homes. Crazy, huh?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Another point is there are gas giants in other systems too. Do the universe needs giants to keep the inner-most in harmony? And why it didn't occur in any other way? So technically, life could only form in a planet with correct gravity. And why such accurateness? Is this a law of the Universe? Do each system ought to have the same configuration or different? For instance how about gas giants on the inner most orbits?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think it is pretty self centered to think the rest of the universe, lifeless or not, owes us puny little humans a purpose. Especially when we haven't figured out ours, yet.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
mineral and geological experience, and so that living planets also can occur. it's obvious.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join