It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of a lifeless planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

All creation is by the father for the son. We cannot speak about any other experience, than our own. In a sense, from our perspective, it's all for us, it doesn't matter how solipsistic that may sound, it's true. Nice to know it's for others as well though, and other experiences, because sometimes is really sucks here on earth!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Great sort of question.

The answer would likely vary based on type and location of planet. As someone already pointed out, Jupiter is our goalie, keeping out the pot shots against Terra. Saturn is a host for life by way of its moons (possibly). Others may just be storage of chemicals and such so when Sol goes boom, some of that is carried away to eventually make more planets and life... cold storage as such.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

I think it would only change the size of the shadow it casts. I believe it would take quite a change in distance to really notice it from earth. I'm pretty sure the average size of the shadow is about 150km.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

There doesn't have to be a purpose for everything.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

So your implying that God is the universe?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by ILikeStars

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Any bigger or any smaller ... Any closer or any further away ...
And the moon would not perfectly cover the sun during an eclipse.
.... but our Moon actually is constantly moving further away.

At less than 4 inches a year.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Heres a thought. just by asking this question you give meaning to lifeless planets existence. Maybe they are there just so we can ask this question and thus further or deep thinking.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

How is it that you know that there is no life on these gas giants in our own solar system?

I think it is very pertinent for us to spend time and resources exploring these planets. Let's take a look at Uranus for example... Why is Uranus tilted on its side? Did something impact Uranus at some point? Maybe there is some type of microbial life that lives in the gas of Uranus. I think that that finding life, even if it's just microbial is not a waste of money.

Food for thought.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What is the purpose of a lifeless planet? None. Unless... you answer yes to this question. Is reality a product of intelligent design? If so then even lifeless planets out in the void may serve some purpose. You'll have to ask the creator about that one.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
to show earth is not some kind of fluke or a random occurrence.

if the definition of evolution is the adaptation of life to it's surroundings then their is no reason the other planets should not have life.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

The million dollar question.
That needs it's own thread!

PLPL

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

There is a purpose for everything my friend.
The beauty in it is finding what it is.

"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." —Patanjali

PLPL

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Minori

Nice quote you have there. Truth is there is no purpose in life. Why you ask? Because purpose is a REASON why. Reason is a human nature. No two people percieve the same things.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
You're only asking that question because everything seems so big to us. What if everything in the observable universe is actually the size of a small fish tank to some being or entity (God?) outside of our dimension? The universe obviously wasn't designed on the human scale. So it's logical to surmise that there may be beings for whom Jupiter, or even the sun, is what a grain of sand is to us. We certainly don't ask what's the purpose of all the sand on the beach. And on a certain scale, grains of sand are going to be as varied, unique, interesting and even as massive as the planets and stars are to us.
edit on 2-2-2012 by seth90210 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I like this question.

I don't think the universe thinks from a human perspective.

It is old, the minerals and gasses serve a purpose other than sustaining human life, they also become something recycled down the track. If it weren't for the 'lifeless' planets how would earth exist?

It also begs the question does a mineral have a purpose? Does a sun have a purpose? It has energy from zero to infinity on the spectrum, and as we can't fathom 'purpose' outside human existence we find it hard to process the purpose.
The suns purpose is not to give earth life, it was here before us and will be here after us.
Does a planet or star have an awareness we are unaware of? Kinda like we think on mother earth, we personify our planet, can a 'lifeless' planet have a energy purpose to it we are clueless on?

In terms of chaos and order, which is the natural state? Sometimes I wander if Chaos is the natural state and order which gives life was an accident.
Anyway i digress, its one of the topics you can think and ramble on about forever and I am only jut having my first cuppa of the day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: radkrish

How do you know that planets are not living things....

purp...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Once Earth was uninhabitable and lifeless. Anyway there is no purpose to life unless you give it one

edit on 19-9-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As others have said, the planet may be alive.

If not, the planet can be seeded with life (and probably already is)

If not, the planet serves materialistic purposes to continue the fabric of our physical realm.

Nothing is pointless.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Warpthal
reply to post by Minori

Nice quote you have there. Truth is there is no purpose in life. Why you ask? Because purpose is a REASON why. Reason is a human nature. No two people percieve the same things.

But, how can you be so sure that each individual perception, isn't a single puzzle piece, just yearning to be combined with all of the others, to reveal the whole picture?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
To the OP:

I think that they exist, to simultaneously remind us how insignificant our reality truly is, but how special we really are...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join