It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada ready to take action on Iran if needed, Harper says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Iran is in kind of a no-win situation though. If they keep going this way, they are going to get attacked because the West "fears" Iran is up to no good. If Iran finally comes clean, they will get attacked because the West will say "we told you so".

You missed a bit. If Iran comes clean and there are no plans they are still going to get attacked because the West we say "we don't believe you".

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It's gotta be all about the oil.

(edit to add)
Either it's those two scenarios or he likes the idea of revitalizing Canada's historically renowned capability in producing military vehicles and munitions. - Masqua

That thought had me considering things another way. It's looking like something of both issues. Food for thought here :

The Harper government is sailing into a potential political hurricane over $35 billion of naval shipbuilding contracts, the largest military procurement in modern Canadian history.

Later this week, the government is expected to announce two winning bidders for most of the work, one to build $25 billion of naval warships; another to construct $8 billion of supply vessels and other non-combat craft.

The Titanic-sized political problem for the Conservatives is there are three shipyards — in Halifax, Quebec City and Vancouver — competing for just two mega-deals and the thousands of regional jobs that come with them.(more)

www.cbc.ca...

So why, some in and around Ottawa wonder, is the Harper government so dead set on championing the much-delayed, expensive and controversial F-35 fighter purchase, even as the project takes on ever more ballast?

Day after day in the House of Commons, opposition MPs pose pointed, scathing questions about why the government has "sole-sourced" this estimated $16-billion (including maintenance costs) purchase from U.S. aircraft maker Lockheed Martin, with no competitive tender.

Day after day, a trio of ministers - up to and including the Prime Minister himself - deliver wan responses, looking unhappy as they do so. (more)

www.nationalpost.com...

In a recent op-ed article in Embassy magazine, Steven Staples, president of the Rideau Institute, argues that Canada’s military spending needs to be curbed:

In 2010-11, Department of National Defence spending is estimated to reach $22.2 billion, its highest level since Canada was in Europe fighting Hitler. That level is 12 per cent higher than it was before the beginning of the global recession, 19 per cent higher than during the last days of the Cold War, and 40 per cent higher than immediately before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

www.ceasefire.ca...

There's legitimate defence concerns for our country I won't deny, better still if we needed none at all, but how much of this new and proposed "hardware" will wind up on foreign beaches in a consortium of "liberation", "pre-emptive strike", and other damning procedures. We've had, years past, a really good world image. There's no part of me that doesn't want to see that re-projected as our future countries policies, regardless of any tarnish and rot the current slime in power are engaged in.

Edit to add : Shipyard follow-up

Cheers erupted from the hundreds of workers gathered at the Irving-owned Halifax Shipyard on Wednesday as the federal government announced it had been awarded the $25-billion contract to build 21 Canadian combat ships.

"It's Christmas. It's unbelievable," said Jamie Vaslet of the CAW Marine Workers Federation.

"When I started here 31 years ago and it was up and down and up and down and now the kids that are coming in here today, they can actually look at retiring here. It's amazing."

Vancouver's Seaspan Marine was awarded an $8-billion contract for seven non-combat vessels, while the Davie Shipyard in Lévis, Que. was shut out of the two larger contracts.

The Davie Shipyard is still eligible to bid on further contracts worth $2 billion in total, to build smaller ships. Irving Shipbuilding and Seaspan Marine are not eligible to bid on that work.

www.cbc.ca...
edit on 19-11-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
You missed a bit. If Iran comes clean and there are no plans they are still going to get attacked because the West we say "we don't believe you".

Not going to happen. The "west" only attacks those with a marginal military. Iran has a strong military:

www.globalfirepower.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wierd or not wierd ?????
see below

weaselzippers.us...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming

“In Afghanistan they received basic jihadi training, while currently they are busy doing some special courses. Their main learning is how to use sophisticated weapons, and how to connect with local smuggling networks in North America. They are also learning how to use ordinary material like sugar and basic chemicals to make powerful explosives. These militants will then return to their country to execute al-Qaeda’s plan of targeting big cities in Canada,” the militant said.

weaselzippers.us...

That's either lousy sensationalism or a serious heads-up. How did it go? - "The problem people have with big cities is that they mistake them as a place to live. They aren't, they're a place of business"! ( I don't have a source for that, it's an approximation from memory).

Maybe it's time to spread out countrymen and women, and get away from all the wifi, pollution, and festering neon distractions while you're at it. Join with my future plan : Let's build fully enclosed or underground greenhouses up north, stocked with legacy organics.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Northwarden because: (added link)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Canada was never a neutral country.

This news should come as no surprise as Canada has joined the west in just about every military operation since and including WW1

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by snowspirit

Canada was never a neutral country.

This news should come as no surprise as Canada has joined the west in just about every military operation since and including WW1

I'm realizing that now that I've been reading the replies.

I'm guessing it was just wishful thinking on my part.
Or selective memory.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

I figured Canada to be a neutral country

Apparently not, under Harper. This guy is the worst warmonger around.

Canada should remain a neutral country. But Harper wants to play with the Big Guys. So we'll all pay.

Oops. Just read the posts above - may need to reconsider. But it IS true that Canada has never had much of a military presence - a fact much lamented by the warmongers.

edit on 19/11/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

I figured Canada to be a neutral country

Apparently not, under Harper. This guy is the worst warmonger around.

Canada should remain a neutral country. But Harper wants to play with the Big Guys. So we'll all pay.

i dont know what you people think canada is but we are certainly not and never were a neutral country.
we are part of the commonwealth and were once under the biggest empire the world ever knew...

then we became "independant", dont let the maple leaf blind you..we are still subscribed and never changed from our old imperial ties.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

i dont know what you people think canada is but we are certainly not and never were a neutral country.
we are part of the commonwealth and were once under the biggest empire the world ever knew...

then we became "independant", dont let the maple leaf blind you..we are still subscribed and never changed from our old imperial ties.

I think we as civilians, forget, because we've grown up with so many different accents and skin tones around us, that it's hard to think of a friend's country as an enemy.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

That's absolutely correct.

The glory days:

And it is true that we've never fielded a military anywhere proportional to our geographical claim. This is really the Canadian situation: we need alliances to survive. However, we don't need to be pawns under other imperial countries. This was why we left the British empire for the sake of our independence, only to fall under the USA sphere.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

These goons don't represent what Canadians stand for. Not one bit.

Does any Western or European Government represent their people any more ???

I sadly don't think so.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by yourmaker

This was why we left the British empire for the sake of our independence, only to fall under the USA sphere.

Which is under the Israel sphere... Which is under the British sphere...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
how sad.. never expected to see canada sell out and start supporting the psychopaths in israel..

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately for Canada it seems to get stuck/lumbered/put-in-the-same-pot as America to the rest of the world. That being said though the Canadians ive personally met are nothing like the Americans and have a much more peaceful image. Still im glad they have found a voice on the world stage at last, although reading some of the comments here it may not be speaking for everyone, which is exactly the same as the UK where im from, if you thing Cameron represents the people you couldnt be further from the truth.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Harper the scumbag wants to drag us into another war... what about no?

All of you who voted for Harper, I hope you are happy. Should have voted for the only one not sellout... the late Layton.

Harper is Bilderberg, of course he's gonna go along with wars of the elite. The liberal candidate was also a sellout Bilderberger.

All of this is because of the people in Ontario and the rednecks in central Canada... can Alberta secede already so we don't have to deal with their stupid votes again?

Harper and his lemmings can move to America's warmonger and fundies states, they'll fight right in. In Canada, they don't fit at all.

I bet if we had a referendum on Harper, he would get kicked out right now. Canada would be better with no PM then with Harper.

Harper is basically the only one to be an Israel puppet in all of Canada. I remember during the Lebanon-Israel war, Harper was supporting Israel bombing civilian infrastructure in Lebanon with no connection to Hezbollah (a war crime) and there were pro-Lebanon protests in all of Canada.

Canadians don't like war criminals like the Israeli government and their supporters like Harper and Bush. Harper could run in the republican debates, alongside trash like Perry, Cain, Bachmann and Romney. Warmonger, hate freedom, religious nut, that kind of stuff.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
More proof that the Country I was raised in is under the rule of a puppet.
Canada needs a Ron Paul Type prime minister.
If Ron Paul becomes president, I'm moving to USA.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Let me know if Iran actually invades and occupies Canada, then I am ready to fight them as an aggressor. Until such time, this policy of preemptive attacking a country is not my Canadian style... so thanks Harper for supporting the invasion and occupation of sovereign nations. Just remember, what goes around comes around.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I still remember our commiseration thread. Cheers on your accuracy, Boncho!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Guys, don't forget Newton's 3rd law. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." He got his majority, he better use it well or he's out on his ass. And this isn't a good move imo.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join