It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer pepper-sprays seated, non-violent students at UC Davis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by mileysubet
You are quite the word smith, but that doesn't mean any of of arguments are valid when critically read.

So you believe the police are, in fact, entitled to assault people with weapons, even in situations where there is no threat of violence?

Since you feel that impeding a walkway (from whom, the other protestors? uh...?) is not "peaceful," do you then feel it is "violent"? 'Cause there's not really a grey area, there is no "maybe-sort-of protest." Further if this is your feeling, what do you have to say about methods of protest such as boycotts, strikes, and sit-ins (such as the famous lunch counter sit-ins of hte 1950's)

Further, is the point of protest not to draw attention?

Please explain.

A protest needs to draw attention, but it should not impede the normal flow of traffic. Its is really that simple.

It is not always about "protest".

If a group of people without a clear definition was to impede the flow of traffic in any through fair they would be arrested, and if they did not move to the warnings of the LEO's then an escalation of force would be used to remove them.

Thisi is what happened here, the people in the video clearly and delibretly chose to disobey local ordinances and where pepper sprayed to be removed.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Stop saying stuff I agree with, TOA. People are going to get suspicious. Or worse, we might start hanging out.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Stop saying stuff I agree with, TOA. People are going to get suspicious. Or worse, we might start hanging out.

/hangs head dejectedly

Yes, sir. It won't happen again, sir.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

reply to post by woodwardjnr

None. As you can see from this very thread - amid others - Americans get off on fascism and the abuse of people they disagree with.

It always amuses me to watch certain members defend the indefensible on this site. Not much support for the underdog round these parts, more a kick the underdog while their down attitude.

+3 more 
link   

A protest needs to draw attention, but it should not impede the normal flow of traffic. Its is really that simple.

No, in fact it is not "just that simple." Your desire to not take a detour does not trump the first amendment rights of others. I understand that your personal convenience is the only think that matters in the universe - at least you seem to think so - but that's not the way the world actually works. Dudes are sitting on the path? Why not go around? Problem solved. Or here's a thought - ask them why they're there. Why not join in?

meaningless statement.

If a group of people without a clear definition was to impede the flow of traffic in any through fair they would be arrested, and if they did not move to the warnings of the LEO's then an escalation of force would be used to remove them.

Oh, sure they'd be arrested. That's not the point we're looking at here. The point is the unwarrnted assault with hte officer's weapon.

Thisi is what happened here, the people in the video clearly and delibretly chose to disobey local ordinances and where pepper sprayed to be removed.

So you believe people should be assaulted with weapons for your personal convenience?

link   
Here is a two secon burst of pepper spray

www.youtube.com...

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

You are quite the word smith, but that doesn't mean any of of arguments are valid when critically read.

So you believe the police are, in fact, entitled to assault people with weapons, even in situations where there is no threat of violence?

Since you feel that impeding a walkway (from whom, the other protestors? uh...?) is not "peaceful," do you then feel it is "violent"? 'Cause there's not really a grey area, there is no "maybe-sort-of protest." Further if this is your feeling, what do you have to say about methods of protest such as boycotts, strikes, and sit-ins (such as the famous lunch counter sit-ins of hte 1950's)

Further, is the point of protest not to draw attention?

Please explain.

Thorough fair, dadgummit!

These students picked the perfect place for their protest. They weren't blocking anything, yet they were in a highly visible area for people to see them. A college is a great place to protest as its rarely got any place where you can fully block traffic, yet there is always visibility.

They weren't hurting anyone, they weren't harassing anyone, they were practicing their absolute right to peaceable assembly.

learn2Constitution

/TOA

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Yes, they might have disobeyed an ordinance.
Is an ordinance a law?
Start looking bro.
Even if these kids were in the wrong, does this give the police the right to disobey the same lawbook?
They used a defensive weapon on non aggresive people.
By your reasoning if the students yelled at the cops, the cops would be ok to shoot them with live ammo.
If you cannot see that you are either wholly ignorant or I done goofed and fed you.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Holy F*** Is This The Twilight Zone??

Ive gotta stop watching this stuff I'm going to have a heart attack. We The People are in charge and we let this happen?? Those spectators just stand there with dumbass cell cams filming watching this go down??

I swear I think I'm an alien because I wouldnt be able to control my rage. Something has to be done about this. This is not my USA.
edit on 19-11-2011 by soldita because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor
Stupid people block path, stupid people refuse to move, they are then moved.

Simple really, it was their choice , they should start taking personal responsibility for their own actions!

It's in a freaking park! Jaw dropping stuff. There is no doubt in my mind the US is heading for meltdown. Come to Europe. If protestors limited themselves to open spaces like public parks the police would be on holiday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! having a freaking party.

The reality of this just passes some people by doesn't it.........

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
It's in a freaking park!

No it is not, try actually reading the thread before posting nonsense

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

You're right. it's a public university. The students at the public university are sitting down on the lawn and a sidewalk of the public university. The police then assault these students with a weapon, then with hands and fists, arresting them for sitting down on the law of the public university they are students of.

And you are here commending the police for this.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

They where blocking a through fair, The policeman had every right to remove the people blocking the common path, (as I am sure he and several (verbally) others did multiple times). peaceful protest does not include interfering with the passage rights of the people commuting.

These individuals where attempting to make maryters of them selves. They where doing these actions to get attention, although they where breaking the very laws the supposedly protect.
edit on 19-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

They weren't blocking anything you can see by the panning around of the camera there were no buildings around so the cops had no right to do this or arrest anyone. What was their crime sitting on the sidewalk? If they did this in a public park would the cops be allowed to do this because they were blocking somebody's way to the swing set? Don't forget these kids are paying customers of the college and they have the right to sit on property they rent if they want to. The cops knew they screwed up by the way they ganged together at the end and ran.
It won't be long before these protesters start fighting back then it will get bloody.
edit on 19-11-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

They where blocking a through fair, The policeman had every right to remove the people blocking the common path, (as I am sure he and several (verbally) others did multiple times). peaceful protest does not include interfering with the passage rights of the people commuting.

These individuals where attempting to make maryters of them selves. They where doing these actions to get attention, although they where breaking the very laws the supposedly protect.
edit on 19-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

They weren't blocking anything you can see by the panning around of the camera there were no buildings around so the cops had no right to do this or arrest anyone. What was their crime sitting on the sidewalk? If they did this in a public park would the cops be allowed to do this because they were blocking somebody's way to the swing set? Don't forget these kids are paying customers of the college and they have the right to sit on property they rent if they want to. The cops knew they screwed up by the way they ganged together at the end and ran.
It won't be long before these protesters start fighting back then it will get bloody.
edit on 19-11-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

If that much pepper spray was let out no one would be able to stand there. It blows around, stops your breathing. Even the crap you buy in the store has more Oleoresin Capsicum than that must have had.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I'm having a time interpreting your comment.. I think it's a compliment haha?

Thanks though.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

You are exactly the people I was talking about in my post above yours.
So what if they were blocking a path. Didn't look like they were really, but if you say so.
The cops didn't need to spray them. Also it is a protest, sit ins are classic non violent, just because they don't obey doesn't make it violent.

Also, what laws do you think they are claiming to protect? You think people should never question authority, and never break a law even if that law impedes on their constitutional rights?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

No. It is people thinking that way that has gotten this country into the shape it is in. Afraid to question authority. They were fine. The cop used way excessive force. They posed no threat.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Cop in the US? Suspended with pay while they "investigate." Cops have a license to kill in the U.S. didn't you know? Seriously being a cop in the U.S. is one get out of jail free card. Seriously.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

I don't know why you would think that it isn't pepper spray. It most certainly is..
The video you linked to was mace. The pepper spray the cops used is a think yellow/orange spray that is thick and syrupy. You can look through pictures from other Occupy protests and you will see people with orange stained faces.

I promise, it's pepper spray.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

We agree here (for the most part)!
This is out of hand. The reason given was that they were blocking the police. Like they couldn't get through, ya know? Star for you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join