It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Edible Plants with Optimal Nutrition & Medicine- BURDOCK!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Originally posted by stillwind
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Actually, the fuzzy leaves of mullien are "nature's charmin", and it grows everywhere, too.

-zz

Be careful with that as some people are rather sensitive to the rotenone contained within the leaves. That's one place you don't want to encourage a rash!
Besides, the leaves are far more valuable as medicine, tinder (when dry), tobacco additive or insecticide. Tea made from the leaves is excellent for coughs, colds and congestion. Dried leaves can be smoked for asthma or spread around a shelter to deter insects. The long dried stem is good for making hand drill or bow drill fires and also for tinder and kindling. The seeds at the top are a favorite food of finches and can be used to stupefy fish in a pond to bring them to the surface.
Or you can just wipe your tush with it.

Oh yeah, Mullen gives me a nasty rash. I'd try it on my arms before I used it as TP.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stillwind
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Actually, the fuzzy leaves of mullien are "nature's charmin", and it grows everywhere, too.

-zz

I wish that picture was more clear is that Poison Hemlock (the one that looks like Queen annes lace) and Nightshade(the purple flowers) side by side? If so, that's one deadly 3 feet! Yikes!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

Excellent information, thank you Moondancer. S&F for you and please keep'em coming!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
awww... I want to thank all the guys at ATS survival radio show called "All Things Survival" tonight for talking about my thread and our wonderful plant Burdock.I was listening and admittingly blushing. You guys did good. thanks Jack.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is the last installment on Burdock. I know I have already provided quite a bit information, but I have not touched up on the medicinal and nutritious benefits.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this plant is in a survival situation. Please, please make friends with it now.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Overview of Properties and Uses

You can never overdose on Burdock root, it has no known toxic properties. I eat and drink Burdock numerous times a week. Eat as much as you want, the more you eat the more nourishing effects it will have. Energy and endurance is vital in a survival situation. All the guns and ammo useless if you do not have a clear mind.

Mostly it works and felt in the liver, lungs, kidney, stomach, uterus and joints. It is said that with regular use it'll keep you free of disease and cancer.

* Optimal nourishment in the form of vitamin complexes, minerals and trace minerals, amino acids and sugars.

* Gradually works it's magic. Builds important immunity. The more you use it the better your immune system.

* Increases stamina, including sexual.

* Nourishes the function of the stomach- soothing.

* Nourishes urinary organs

Fresh Burdock root also may

*Restrains the development of bacteria

*Promotes urine

Food

Preparation- Fresh root, young leaves, stalks striped of leaves & skin. Cooked or raw

Eat freely as food

FIRST AID

Preparation- Poultice

Poultices of freshly grounded root, eases the pain and inflammation boils, abscesses, eczema, infected wounds, burns, itchy skin, herpes outbreaks ect.

Preparation- Dried, powdered root.

astringent to close open wounds and ulcers. (I've found this only works on small wounds.)

Preparation- Infusion of root

It cools off "fiery" sickness like scalding urine, infections, feverish colds, dry sore throat, wheezing ect.cooling for the hot stuff. (including anger and pms)

Preparation- Fresh Burdock root

It works on the intestines and rids of metal contamination and absorbs chemical residues. Works quickly getting them out through the large intestine

Can neutralize and eliminate poisons in the intestinal track

Edit- I would like to note that this is an ideal plant root for recovering alcoholics. I have seen it work miracles on damaged livers. (my own) It needs to be used long term though, everyday for 2-3 months. Continual infusions, fresh root, dried root...all in combination. I found when I was sick that I would even drink the water, and not by choice, it was as if my body craved it. Weird

Preparation- Fresh Leaves

The fresh leaves crushed is good for any sore, cut, abrasion, poison ivy, burns and ulcers ect. You can apply and then use another large intact leaf as a bandage. If you have to continue on working you can use duct tape to hold it in place. I'm a real fancy women, eh?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

It is an amazing immune builder with frequent use and healthy and a tasty food. So in a survival situation don't pass it by when you see it. Take 5 minutes to dig it up. You can never have too much to eat.

Explanations of First Aid applications

Infusions- Made from dried material

Roots-

big handful of cut up root in a canning (or canning sized) jar, small pot or cup from mess kit.

Fill jar to top with boiling water, cap it and let it soak for 8 hours

Decant. Drink liquid slowly over a day or two.

Poultice- External application of plant, usually crushed or bruised. Use as much as you need.

This is how I use Burdock in my life and I am confident in sharing my personal experience. Please do feel free to Google all of this information as you should with any information on the web

Cheers!

edit on 18-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: for information on damage to liver

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing such useful information! S&F for sure!

My property is riddled with burdock, and I had always considered it a nuisance plant. I think I'll take inventory over the weekend!

I hope you'll bless us with future installations to this thread!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by masterofnone

Yes! Go dig up some roots. I'm so excited that people here are willing to try. Just make sure it's the first years plant roots. check the 2nd page for photos I posted on how to do this.

Poor Burdock is so misunderstood, people just don't realize the magic they have growing in their yard. If you need to destroy because it's "ugly" at least dig up the root to eat first. I honestly want to cry when people kill it, it's such a waste of a plant that's been used for hundreds of years.

The next plant I am featuring is Chickweed.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There is a nice you tube series called "eat the weeds" and you will be surprised what is available out there if you got desperate.

Why not EAT THE BUGS?!

One well overlooked source of nutrition that would be a fix to the protein gap is bugs. Most insects are edible and not half bad once you get past the cultural aversion. Most taste like seafood, similar to shrimp, but leading more into the flavor of gourmet mushrooms. Some may be bitter if they eat bitter plants, avoid ones eating poisonous plants.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by eywadevotee

Why not eat the bugs while you are digging up the weeds? It is silly to think you can live 2,3,4,5,6+ years on bugs. I'm not talking about surviving for a month in the wild, I'm talking about living a life. Bug eaters will be wide eyed and frenzied while the wildcrafters have their feet up sipping on Elderberry wine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join