It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LITERALLY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
About a year ago I noticed I kept hearing people say the word "literally", and I wonder how and why a single word can become trendy? They don't even use it correctly. You're supposed to use it to let someone know you are not using the word/phrase after it figuratively, but people use it for emphasis, or to sound smart or important. Before this it used to be, "...NOT SO MUCH" then "ABSOLUTELY" and to a lesser extent "KNOW WHAT I MEAN".

I see literally in ads now.

I can't go a single day without hearing this word at least 5 times, often from the same few people...The next person to use the word literally for emphasis is going to get fisted in the rectum with a metal scrubby, figuratively speaking of course...

If you too have noticed this please acknowledge so, it would make me feel less annoyed:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

Can't the anti-christ just zap em... er something?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

That was a truly Awesome thread! I've noticed people using that term...They think they're so Bad!...but they're not...they're Totally being Stupendously Retarded when they do that...I find it all Ironic! It's so Radical that you pointed it out though!!!

edit on 13-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: Yes I did that on purpose....

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

I haven't heard too many people abuse the word but you are right that somethings are uncalled for.

The next person to use the word literally for emphasis is going to get fisted in the rectum with a metal scrubby, figuratively speaking of course...

You don't have kids do you?

I just think other forms of punishment might spring to mind besides this particular one, if you had kids.
You might slap them person silly or make them stand in a corner. I think what you say reflects your history and your predilections. Not literally of course, but actually.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Here it used to be ( SERIOUSLY ) catch phrases blow ( LIKE ) ( YOU KNOW ) . I guess a person has to be in the click for it to have their meaning when used .

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by Kalki11

That was a truly Awesome thread! I've noticed people using that term...They think they're so Bad!...but they're not...they're Totally being Stupendously Retarded when they do that...I find it all Ironic! It's so Radical that you pointed it out though!!!

Are we in the same thread?

I think this is teen angst... Kinda nit picky. You are superlative though...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
This is literally the most useless thread I've ever seen.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalki11
The next person to use the word literally for emphasis is going to get fisted in the rectum with a metal scrubby, figuratively speaking of course...

Well let me be the first to say: "I am glad you didn't mean that literally.."

Not sure what a "metal scrubby" is but it doesn't sound pleasant if used as a suppository.
edit on 13-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Kalki11

Ah yes...as it was written...

Rev.14:23-25 And I looked as the Angel opened the Eighth Seal, and behold a fifth horse did come forth...which had the appearance as if it were wooden, and upon him rode a Youth saying "Whoah, I didst just blaze a third of Mankind's Crops or something...I mean I like, Literally Wasted all that sh*t!!" Then did the Beast rise from the bottomless pit and smite the youth saying "Shut Up you Moron!! We can Literally do this thing with only four horseman anyway!"
edit on 13-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: extra DIV

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

reply to post by Kalki11

Are we in the same thread?

I think this is teen angst... Kinda nit picky. You are superlative though...

*sigh*...I was wondering if anyone would 'get' what I did....That's why I added the "Yes I did that on purpose" as my reason for editing it. I was using a bunch of popular words that have been picked up by youth culture and used in ways that are not entirely correct in various ways...Either from using too strong of a word (That milkshake's Awesome!) Giving a term an opposite meaning (I'm such a BAD poker player..I win every hand!) or just misunderstanding and misusing the term constantly (Isn't it ironic that his dad died on his birthday?)

I was hoping people would pick up on it..that's why I capitalized the words, too....Oh well..I'll try to be less subtle next time!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Kalki11

Ah yes...as it was written...

Rev.14:23-25 And I looked as the Angel opened the Eighth Seal, and behold a fifth horse did come forth...which had the appearance as if it were wooden, and upon him rode a Youth saying "Whoah, I didst just blaze a third of Mankind's Crops or something...I mean I like, Literally Wasted all that sh*t!!" Then did the Beast rise from the bottomless pit and smite the youth saying "Shut Up you Moron!! We can Literally do this thing with only four horseman anyway!"
edit on 13-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: extra DIV

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalki11
About a year ago I noticed I kept hearing people say the word "literally", and I wonder how and why a single word can become trendy? They don't even use it correctly.

Kinda true, but word meanings change over time.
If enough people use it the "wrong" way, then its actually correct because everyone agrees on the meaning.

Annoying, but true.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I literally hate people that use words in an incorrect manner, it's such FAIL!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's the mindless copying or going with the crowd I'm ranting about, it could be any word/phrase. I read The Tipping Point, I get how memes get trendy but how did this start?

Watch The Daily Show? They often point out the "narrative" - as if all media outlets are to use the same phrases and words simultaneously for spin purposes...eh...

Thanks for responding ya'll, and No I can't zap 'em, but if a CME blows the grid, that'll help put an end to it and all communications for awhile.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It took a presidential candidate to so blatantly misuse this word for my pet peeve to be acknowledged on Colbert...YEA FOR ME.

www.youtube.com...:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's infecting ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

these are just the ones in the one forum
edit on 13-10-2012 by Kalki11 because: more

join