It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

yahoo.com main website Poll: Is there life in outerspace?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I can't believe it's only 72% and that 28% out there believe differently. This just baffles my mind. How can anyone say there is no life in outer space, when we ourselves are humanoids living on a planet orbiting a star? So they believe we aren't apart of space?? Obviously life exists in outer space as we are a testament to that fact!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

72% is an overwhelmingly majority. I'm happy with those numbers. Not everyone believes in the same thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
can i get a link? went on yahoo and tried to search for it but could not find it

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

link?
2nd line

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

yahoo.com
The poll is on your right side, middle screen

edit on 12-11-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I really hope and want there to be intelligent life out there but as of now i haven't seen anything that makes be believe there definitely is. So id have to vote no on that poll if i was being honest. Theres no point voting yes just because you want it to be true.

Even if the odds were high that its out there, high odds are not a guaranty. But i live in hope that we find life elsewhere.

edit on 12-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
They've shown that microbes live on non-terrestrial surfaces, so why isn't it 100%?

link   
reply to post by sean

do u have a link?
also
the result are not a surprise.

The real question is are the aliens visiting earth?

Nothing is wrong with having a "I will believe when I see it." attitude.

because there are so many stars and planets

is not proof.
edit on 12-11-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by sean

It is baffling but it comes down to human psychology. Humans don’t consider themselves animals; we’ve lost our connection to nature and the earth. If we understood where we stood in the order of things we would realise that were neither important nor rare. But people like to have an inflated sense of self worth and cant think logically enough to imagine that we are just a mutated gene that has developed a possible de-volution called cognitive thought.

If you think were the only life in the universe, your mind has not been blown yet and I suggest you look into just how big space really is. Then have a look at how life repeats itself on so many levels; microscopic or universal.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So you believe that you're not apart of the Universe?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So you believe that you're not apart of the Universe?

Sure i do. But i dont think thats what the poll is really about. I think its referring to extra terrestrial life.

In fact thinking about it i wouldnt even vote no on that poll. I think life could be out there its just theres no evidence either way. Im not a hardened non believer. Just a realist.

edit on 12-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If there is intelligent life out there, it's looking at us in bewilderment because there sure hasn't been too many examples of intelligence here lately.

I can imagine other life forms looking at us and thinking...

"What were they thinking? They had a perfectly good planet with clean air, water, food and beauty. Then they just started destroying it. WTH?"

"They have evolved to the point that they now know the consequences of what they've been doing and they're STILL doing it?"

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

It is baffling but it comes down to human psychology.

Correct.

Humans don’t consider themselves animals

Wrong. Most of us do.

If we understood where we stood in the order of things we would realise that were neither important nor rare.

Why? We simply don't know.

But people like to have an inflated sense of self worth and cant think logically enough to imagine that we are just a mutated gene that has developed a possible de-volution called cognitive thought.

?

If you think were the only life in the universe, your mind has not been blown yet and I suggest you look into just how big space really is. Then have a look at how life repeats itself on so many levels; microscopic or universal.

??

Perhaps you misunderstood the original point. The universe is certainly large. If I had a small pot of sulfuric acid, the likelihood of life is small. If I has a bigger pot of sulfuric acid, the likelihood doesn't increse - it stays the same. Equating size with probability is wrong, it doesn't answer anything.

The only answer is: "we don't know".

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BagBing

Interesting analogy there on the last part, but right or wrong we still have to add ourselves to the question or equation. The universe is so massive and endless. Even if our own galaxy came up empty handed and there was just Earth, it still doesn't mean that the next galaxy over there wouldn't have anything. It's difficult to visualize how massive our universe really is. There is clusters of clusters of galaxies out there and that's just a tiny grain of sand in the universe. I don't see how the universe could be void of life, but earth. If it is empty then it would take eternity to cultivate all that.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The universe is so massive and endless. Even if our own galaxy came up empty handed and there was just Earth, it still doesn't mean that the next galaxy over there wouldn't have anything. It's difficult to visualize how massive our universe really is. There is clusters of clusters of galaxies out there and that's just a tiny grain of sand in the universe. I don't see how the universe could be void of life, but earth. If it is empty then it would take eternity to cultivate all that.

So, from that we can concluse that:
a) we are unique
b) we are rare
c) we are common

The simple fact of the matter is that we don't know! My own personal stance is that I 'assume' that there is intelligent life out there. My personal opinion doesn't acutally count for anything though. It's right or wrong. Either way, we HAVE to rely on science (biology) to lead us.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

This just baffles my mind. How can anyone say there is no life in outer space, when we ourselves are humanoids living on a planet orbiting a star?

30% of people don't believe they went to the moon either

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just think of the possibilities if man could settle his differences and all came to terms and one common goal. Visiting the moon would be almost as easy as jumping on an elevator. We really hold ourselves back more then anything.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think there is life elsewhere in the Universe, like someone else said, we are holding ourselves back. money, greed and ego I think are the biggest problems we have, and I believe that we could have been already exploring the stars, I think that what is being hidden from us is anti-gravity and what people call free energy, it's all about the three things I mentioned above, ( money, greed and ego ).

I just read the thread about the library in Egypt, and several people mentioned how our ancient past is always hidden from us, we probably wouldn't be asking wether life exists outside this planet if this tragedy wasn't happenning every day, we may have already found our origins, but just a few people know the truth, Very Sad !

Here is the link for those who couldn't find it, www.yahoo.com... , the POLL is about half way down on the right side.

I Voted YES

here is the results, I think something like 81,000 people voted.

Yes, we are not alone.
72%

No, that's just science fiction.
15%

I'm not sure.
14%

Peace

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Wow, that percentage is higher than I thought it would be. I voted yes, can we prove it? No, not yet. I was just talking to my spouse about how I think there are a lot of people that don't grasp how big the known universe really is. It's absolutely amazing, to say the least. With that in perspective, the chances seem probable to me anyway.

top topics

join