can some dvd burners burn cds as well???

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
hello BTSers...

here is another question from me...

i want to buy a dvd burner but i want a cd burner as well, is there a dvd burner that can burn cds as well???

thanks...






posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
ALL DVD burners for computers are supposed to burn CDs as well. I have NEC DVD burner on my Dell Dimension 8250 and it burns CDs perfectly. Just shop around for a burner you like and one thats in your price range.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
ALL DVD burners for computers are supposed to burn CDs as well. I have NEC DVD burner on my Dell Dimension 8250 and it burns CDs perfectly. Just shop around for a burner you like and one thats in your price range.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike


thats great news because my dell dimension 4600 came with a cd burner and a regular drive...

the regular drive plays games at there normal speeds but if i put the game in the cd burner driver the game runs slow...

my plan is to by the dvd / cd burner then take the old cd burner out and put the new one in...

i can play games with there normal speeds and burn dvds and cds...

ANOTHER QUESTION...

how can i "back up" my original dvds with just ONE dvd / cd burner and ONE regular disk drive???

thank you...





posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
ANOTHER QUESTION...

how can i "back up" my original dvds with just ONE dvd / cd burner and ONE regular disk drive???

thank you...




Well, I'm sorta confused on what you mean. Do you mean backing up movie DVDs to your hard drive? (That's illegal, I think...
) or do you mean backing up data from your hard drive to a single DVD? Because if you mean the latter, I think it's impossible on a SINGLE DVD.

Just explain yourself a little more, and I'll try my best to help you.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike

Well, I'm sorta confused on what you mean. Do you mean backing up movie DVDs to your hard drive? (That's illegal, I think...
) or do you mean backing up data from your hard drive to a single DVD? Because if you mean the latter, I think it's impossible on a SINGLE DVD.

Just explain yourself a little more, and I'll try my best to help you.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike


sry im trying to say this in legal terms

"back up" means to copy movies from a dvd but they say "back up" because its the legal word to say "i want to make a copy of my original dvd BUT who does that??? so they rent a DVD and burn it so they dont have to buy it"

anyway i mean if i want to "back up" (copy) my "original" DVD how can i do this???

thanks...





posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
To "backup" your DVDs get a DVD Ripper like DVD Decrypter and then DVD Shrink to shrink it to fit a regular DVD. DVD Decrypter rips the VOB files onto your hard drive. That will be about 7gb. Then DVD Shrink makes it big enough to fit onto a Regular DVD that is 4.7gb. Then if you have Nero is interfaces nicely with DVD Shrink to allow burning of the VOB files onto the DVD, but if you dont any other DVD Burning software should work.

Tahts just how I do it....

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
anyway i mean if i want to "back up" (copy) my "original" DVD how can i do this???

thanks...




Well, in THAT case... just get a version of DVD Shrink... (I hope this is legal...) the program can be found here: www.dvdshrink.org...


From DVD Shrink's site:
DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD discs. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disc.

DVD Shrink will also burn your backup DVD, if you have installed the latest version of Nero. If you already possess burning software and prefer to stick with it, then you can still use DVD Shrink. The output from DVD Shrink can be saved as files on your hard drive, which you can then burn with software of your choice.


That's pretty much what it is. I'm doing this for LEGAL THINGS. NO ILLEGAL COPYING OF DVDs is supported by me. I don't even use DVD Shrink.

Tell me if you need more help.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 2-9-04 by prophetmike]



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
To "backup" your DVDs get a DVD Ripper like DVD Decrypter and then DVD Shrink to shrink it to fit a regular DVD. DVD Decrypter rips the VOB files onto your hard drive. That will be about 7gb. Then DVD Shrink makes it big enough to fit onto a Regular DVD that is 4.7gb. Then if you have Nero is interfaces nicely with DVD Shrink to allow burning of the VOB files onto the DVD, but if you dont any other DVD Burning software should work.

Tahts just how I do it....

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]


DAMN! Dreamland is quick... well, same thing said by me anyway... just in more detail.

GOOD JOB, DLM.


{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
OK GUYS 'N GALS...

i am realy new at this so can i have a step-by-step please...

i dont even have the burner yet but here is the senario: i have ONE regular cd drive and ONE dvd / cd burner drive...

i put my original dvd into which one???

lets start the step-by-step here...

thanks so much for putting up with me...





posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i dont even have the burner yet but here is the senario: i have ONE regular cd drive and ONE dvd / cd burner drive...

i put my original dvd into which one???

lets start the step-by-step here...

thanks so much for putting up with me...




OK. well... I dont know if it works with a regular CD-ROM drive. But my setup is a DVD-ROM drive on the top, and DVD burner on bottom deck (of comp). I put the original in the DVD-ROM and the blank DVD in the burner... then I just burn. I have no clue to know whether or not you can put a DVD-ROM in a CD-ROM drive and use it as a base to burn with... maybe my associate DLM will have an answer for you...

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Okay....

1. Put the DVD into the DVD-ROM (DVD Player) drive.

2. Fire Up DVD Decrypter

3. Rip the VOB files.

4. Fire Up DVD Shrink

5. Shrink The Files
5b. If You dont have the DVD Burner yet you can just drop these Files onto a DVD Player Software and itll play jsut fine.

6. Use Nero...if you have it...to burn the files to the Blank DVD that is in the DVD Burner...ONCE you have it.

7. Enjoy

CD-ROM drives can NOT read a DVD.

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Okay....

1. Put the DVD into the DVD-ROM (DVD Player) drive.

2. Fire Up DVD Decrypter

3. Rip the VOB files.

4. Fire Up DVD Shrink

5. Shrink The Files
5b. If You dont have the DVD Burner yet you can just drop these Files onto a DVD Player Software and itll play jsut fine.

6. Use Nero...if you have it...to burn the files to the Blank DVD that is in the DVD Burner...ONCE you have it.

7. Enjoy

CD-ROM drives can NOT read a DVD.

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]


soooo...

what you are saying is that this process will NOT work with ONE cd drive and ONE dvd burner drive???

thanks





posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
soooo...

what you are saying is that this process will NOT work with ONE cd drive and ONE dvd burner drive???

thanks




NO. If you have a regular CD-ROM drive and the DVD burner, it will NOT work. (Disc to Disc backup) It would if you had a DVD-ROM and the DVD burner.

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

soooo...

what you are saying is that this process will NOT work with ONE cd drive and ONE dvd burner drive???

thanks




Itll work just fine with the DVD Burner...since they can also read DVDs.



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Itll work just fine with the DVD Burner...since they can also read DVDs.


After conversing with DLM on AIM, I have noticed the error of my logic. It IS possible to burn if you have a CD-ROM drive and DVD burner. You would not use the CD-ROM drive at all. You would put the original DVD into the burner, copy the files to the hard drive and then put the blank DVD in the burner and burn the files to the blank.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm just used to Disc to Disc copying... (that's what I do... me and my dual deck...
)

{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
EDIT: question answered

unless PM shows errors in his ways again...

just playin...

thanks guys...




[Edited on 2-9-2004 by they see ALL]



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
You would not use the CD-ROM drive at all. You would put the original DVD into the burner, copy the files to the hard drive and then put the blank DVD in the burner and burn the files to the blank.


I quote myself... to answer your previous query.

EDIT: Ah, you got it. Well... that's all, folks!


{STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 2-9-04 by prophetmike]



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
QUESTION #3,987

if i burn an original dvd the copy will have the dvd menus and dvd features and the actual movie in dvd quality as well???

thanks...





posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
QUESTION #3,987

if i burn an original dvd the copy will have the dvd menus and dvd features and the actual movie in dvd quality as well???

thanks...




Indeed you shall...



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
my thanks goes out to prophetmike AND dreamlandmafia (in no particular order) for helping me with my many questions...

if you have any other helpful tips just type...

i will be making a new thread when i buy a dvd / cd burner and make a dvd OR have problems :shk:

thanks again








new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join