It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: Al-Jazeera plans English channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Al-Jazeera the Arab satellite television station is planning to launch an English-language version of their Baghdad counterpart. The hopes are to have this news channel by the end of 2005.

BBC NEWS
Al-Jazeera, which is financially backed by the Qatari government, is in talks with satellite distributors and hopes to make the new channel available globally.

"There has been a lot of criticism from people who don't speak Arabic and only see tapes of Osama Bin Laden and think that is all al-Jazeera is about," said Mr Parsons.

He says the network hopes that the proposed channel will enable them to "reach out to a wider audience" to show other sides of the network's news coverage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
al-Jazeera

Al-Jazeera is very anti west with propaganda laden stories, The new station would at least offer the opportunity to see another point of view but how far will they be able to go airing their news stories on the british airwaves.

[edit on 2/9/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I've only read a few sparse online articles, but I didn't detect any propaganda. What reason do you have to say that?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I, for one, welcome our new English Al-Jazeera overlords.

Seriously though, it would be interesting to see the channel in a language I can actually understand...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It only provides one point of view, it horrifies life, its not ment to cheer people up!

[edit on 3/9/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN

Al-Jazeera is very anti west with propaganda laden stories, The new station would at least offer the opportunity to see another point of view but how far will they be able to go airing their news stories on the british airwaves.

[edit on 2/9/2004 by SE7EN]

Well, between their anti-West propaganda-laden stories, and our anti-Arab propaganda-laden stories, maybe we can get some straight news in this joint.

Why wouldn't they be able to air anything they want?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
British TV has strict rules and standards our TV reflects the laws of our society their TV reflects the fears of there society. Its a matter of informing of against indoctrination.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Well, between their anti-West propaganda-laden stories, and our anti-Arab propaganda-laden stories, maybe we can get some straight news in this joint.

Why wouldn't they be able to air anything they want?

Exactly. I have probably never heard anything good about the middle east on american news networks other than suicide bombings, terrorists and how we're going to bomb them next. I sometimes wander onto the aljazeera english website to see what they are saying about the U.S.
It seems though that they are somewhat biased, and promote stories where the U.S. troops in iraq get attacked. Although the rest of it doesn't look like much propoganda.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

British TV has strict rules and standards our TV reflects the laws of our society their TV reflects the fears of there society. Its a matter of informing of against indoctrination.

So basically, British television is censored.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
yes our television is censored it is something that we accept.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

It only provides one point of view, it horrifies life, its not ment to cheer people up!

Well, Hey, thats what most news we hear about is. People watch the news almost expecting some bad things to have happened.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Well, Hey, thats what most news we hear about is. People watch the news almost expecting some bad things to have happened.

Thats right good news does't sell papers

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

yes our television is censored it is something that we accept.

Yeah but if you have a dish you can watch any channel in the world.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
All news reporting especially if it is State sponsored is biased. Arab media protrays views based upon religious beliefs. It is commonly called hate speech directed mainly torward Israel and Western Nations. Reminds me of the speeches of Hitler and Musonelli.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well to be hosest i find this will be intresting

but on the down side it could promote other types of "ethnic" or religious based problems and misunderstandings

Dont forget Britain has the biggest "imigrent" sphere of influence (its what ya get when people in the government carnt control their borders or dont really care then use the problem they created or couldnt control to try to win elections and "victories") however most are here to work and get a better life for themselfs and their families and thats fine with me as they are contrbuting to themselfs and the rest of Britian and its people (its just the ones who come here for the free services such as NHS ect then stay and live off the state) Im sure you have all heard stories if you live in U.K

However i welcome the Al-Jazeera to the fact that they will give a different side of whats going on (even if it is biased, racist ect it will not all be made up and give us an insite to their beliefs from them not what we are being showed by our TV stations)

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Crash]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I've read their English site a million times and it is extremely lightly shaded news from the news we're already reading.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Originally by Crash

Dont forget Britain has the biggest "imigrent" sphere of influence (its what ya get when people in the government carnt control their borders or dont really care then use the problem they created or couldnt control to try to win elections and "victories")

You seem very informed, and i suppose you think the government sits on their arse all day doing f*ck all about the problem?

The "imigrent" (spelt immigrant) sphere of influence is due to the fact that Britain has always had a history of welcoming immigrants (usually anyway) Britain has ALWAYS had immigrants coming here.

So just because the government fails to catch a few immigrants it means it's doing a rubbish job?

I admit that the government may not be doing the best of jobs but it is trying, you have to realise that illegal immigrants will try virtually anything to get to where they want and becuase of that it makes it harder to detect every single one.

What would be your solutions/alternatives? Could you manage the problem better? You're just another whinger to likes to moan without contributing anything worthwhile than just your opinions.

new topics

top topics

join