It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't think your own thoughts; they just *happen*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
How can this be? I'm sure you'll ask. You'll likely say that you're choosing to respond to this right now, am I correct?

But really, that cannot be farther from the truth. You are merely a vessel of life in the ever-active universe. The thoughts you are thinking now, you are not choosing them, they are simply happening as a result of an external stimulus.

The self does not exist. *You* do not exist - at least in the way you probably think you do.

Right now, chemical reactions are occurring in my brain based on the reactions of external stimuli. I am merely a life form. It is our experiences that make us what we are, not our choices. After all, when it comes down to it, free will does not actually exist.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
did you have a will to post this thread ?
did the idea to create this thread come to your mind ?
were you driven to write the post ?

edit on 9-11-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Deflagration

That's right thoughts just happen, but some people think they think them and because they believe they think them they think they know what they are talking about. The thoughts do not reflect reality, they refract reality. Thoughts appear like clouds in the sky and will pass by if seen this way. People get so involved in the thoughts, well the 'person' is no more than a thought.
Everything just happens.
All appearing from nowhere disappearing back into nowhere.
It's like a fire work display.
edit on 9-11-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I didn't mean to post on this thread it just happened.

Actually the thread author is right. I have tested this when I was younger. You can't thinker than your thoughts happening.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Phew. Now that I know that the disturbing things that occur to me aren't my fault... I feel much better.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yeah...I had the same conclusion a long while ago. Heheh.

Yesterday, I was working on a design for my regalia, and this sentence randomly came into my head:

"God put gay and trangender people on this planet so that other people could see past the end of their noses."

I immediately told my mom (Roman Catholic), and she laughed. She said that that made sense. It was probably one of the more 'wise' things I've said. Haha, man. If I could get a dollar every time I came up with some thing like that, I'd have enough to buy myself a new xbox game.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I sort of disagree, to an extent.

Random thoughts do just happen, that much is true. But when you decide to explore those thoughts - explore them, analyze them, expand on them and decide how you feel about them or act or them...that's conscious thinking.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You might be surprised to learn that our concept of free thought and action is an illusion.
Take for example, moving your arm.
Decide now to move your arm. Move it.
Do you think that was your decision? If so you would be wong. Your brain actually starts sending the impulse to move prior to you being consciously aware of it.
Thinking, therefore, is a result of prior unconscous (or even solely motorneuronal) activity rather than the cause of conscious action.
Apologies for using wiki but I can't be bothered going through endless pdfs to find the exact study.

...the current work is in broad agreement with a general trend in neuroscience of volition: although we may experience that our conscious decisions and thoughts cause our actions, these experiences are in fact based on readouts of brain activity in a network of brain areas that control voluntary action...It is clearly wrong to think of [the judgement of will] as a prior intention, located at the very earliest moment of decision in an extended action chain. Rather, W seems to mark an intention-in-action, quite closely linked to action execution. “ ” -Patrick Haggard[1] discussing an in-depth experiment by Itzhak Fried[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

I presume this has been prevented from becoming widely known as the ramifications are terrifying.
NOBODY can be declared responsible for their own actions as all actions occur (or, at least begin to occur) prior to conscious thought or Will.
This just opens way too many philosphical doors. Are we robots, are we avatars? etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It has been proven that your subconscious mind comes to conclusions before you conscious mind realizes it. It's all a matter of perception.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This type of pondering has caused me to take some interesting paths in life. I have lived life on the edge, caused by the frustrations and summaries of over thinking what needs not be thought about. It's like blinking, or breathing, if I give enough thought to those things I will # them up. But, basically, in the end all of this means nothing. There is no meaning, there is no reason... Except, maybe we are an avatar for our higher selves, and this life is just for fun, like a video game. Maybe we are nothing more than electrical impulse trapped inside a hologram.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Everything is happening as one seemless totality. No one is doing it. It is all happening presently.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
on the contrary only free will exist, bc existence is all to evil powerful life

that is why any conscious that enjoy possessing or pretending inventing being above something are the most happy self achievement ones life constancy

how the world seem to die confirm it, only the unlucky beings in negative conditions to their existence are suffering hell now and after in lost of the least floor to their stand rights
while who always are getting it all in lies through true rights abuses are now so free that they fly out eternal livings, by enjoying to destroy rights absolutely in objective terms

i dont get how rights are left like that to their absolute abuse as sacrifice for truth freedom benefits in giving existence to evil life as to force it out

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I guess we should open up the prison doors and let everyone walk out, since they didn't have any control over their actions. While we're at it, why is everyone up in arms about Herman Cain (allegedly) being a sexual predator? Or Bill Clinton for being a proven sexual predator? I guess "The Devil (fate) made me do it" excuses is real.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Aestheteka, thank you very much for posting that link. It gives me a decent starting point to read more about these types of studies. I've actually recently been working my way to reading about exactly these kinds of studies and haven't had a good idea where to start. Again, thank you.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

You had a thought that all thoughts were given to you vs. created by you. It is nice thought but only an opinion. If you want to claim your thoughts as your own just do it. Why, be follower when you could lead? If there is no self then there is really no reason to think that there is anything, but unless what we are experinceing is nothing there is something so there must be self.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
My friend...many hours have I had the same thoughts, or thoughts similar.....................................................................while I was on '___'. So...it has to be legit. Stay safe, fellow traveller.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

precisely that is the present fact, all criminals out of prison forever in all levels of powerful evil ones

it is hell now to rights that inherently are free, forced now to get encaged by what was forced to respect existence right ways, which reveal that hell by definition is created as a word to mean absolute true rights possessions forever by evil life existence realities

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I disagree completely. Those thoughts are merely reacting to other thoughts that just came to be. You think you're thinking your own thoughts right now? Lol, no, they're merely happening. Try to locate the thought that you're thinking as you're reading this. You simply can't. It's originating from your brain, yes, but it's only there because you read this post (external stimulus)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

exactly only evil livings are aware of their powerful position upon external stimulus, bc they know themselves free wills being principally above all positive sources

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Well, imo that was a nice lesson on cause and effect but does not tell me that my thoughts are not created by myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join